cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings. View all results

I just searched for ms64 (anacs,pcgs,ngc) within US Coins --Half Dollars and don't see my listing, I got

We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings. View all results

My listing is this:

1947 MS64 PCGS Walking Liberty Half Dollar nice luster

It's MS64 and it's PCGS and it's a half dollar, so what is NOT most relevant about it?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@zamo-zuan wrote:

It's even better when it would say something like "148 results" but then when you click show all, there's "130 results".

I've never experienced that. As @eburtonlab explained to me, it was my misinterpretation of the results. In any case, it was inconsequential and in no way interfered with my use of the feature.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Perhaps "most relevant" means the ones that make eBay the most money.  

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@zamo-zuan 

It's even better when it would say something like "148 results" but then when you click show all, there's "130 results".

Do you mean the number shown at the top of the search results page actually goes down when you click on "show all", or the actual count of listings is less than that number at the top?

The latter situation might be the result of some of those items being variation listings, where each variation counts as a separate result, but only appears in the sort once. If there is no tell-tale price range, it is hard to know for sure without opening each item listing to check, though.

The only way I can think of to possibly explain the former result would be if eighteen items sold or ended between the original search and the "show all" search, which seems unlikely.

Although given the state of eBay's search these days, almost anything is possible.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@kathieskorner 

Perhaps "most relevant" means the ones that make eBay the most money.

That is actually quite close to a description of how "best match" is supposed to work, although eBay would probably describe it as sorting by "most likely to lead to a sale for a given search".

For a particular widget, if you look at the history of searches and sales, certain key words in the item title are correlated with increased value or increased likelihood of a sale ("gold-plated", "brand-new", "guaranteed", "latest edition"), and other terms are correlated with decreased value or decreased likelihood of a sale ("unfinished", "broken", "as-is", "previous model"). By giving each term a numeric score, you can sort titles so that the "best" are at the top.

Which is why I am confused about "most relevant" criteria apparently filtering out items that seem to rank high using "best match" criteria.

Also, if an item is considered not "most relevant" and is thus hidden from the search results unless the user takes the extra step of following the "show all results" link, it is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy; such hidden items are less likely to lead to sales precisely because they are hidden.

Although I do note that the OP's item did actually sell.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

@zamo-zuan 

Do you mean the number shown at the top of the search results page actually goes down when you click on "show all", or the actual count of listings is less than that number at the top?

The latter situation might be the result of some of those items being variation listings, where each variation counts as a separate result, but only appears in the sort once. If there is no tell-tale price range, it is hard to know for sure without opening each item listing to check, though.

The only way I can think of to possibly explain the former result would be if eighteen items sold or ended between the original search and the "show all" search, which seems unlikely.

Although given the state of eBay's search these days, almost anything is possible.

Yep, it actually goes down clicking show all. I posted a screenshot of it on here awhile back. It was also when our listings were not showing up when sorted by price I believe..?

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Ebay does not work that way and there are no buyers n the world that searches that way except for sellers looking for their own listings. If you are selling a liberty then you must search for a liberty. Click the see more relevant items if you want more, it's a very simple process. Without doing it your way buyers would need to search for 16 hours a day looking through millions of MS64.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Type Liberty Dollar as that is what buyers would type. You will see hundreds of thousands of listings on the page. On the left side of the screen click PCGS. Only Liberty Dollars graded by PCGS will show and now your down to just a few thousand. Next, click MS64 on the left side of the screen. You will now be able to search all Liberty Dollars graded by PCGS with a grade of MS64. Now you will find your item but there are still hundreds to choose from. You can go one more step and search US only. Good Luck !

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@foxidation wrote:

I just searched for ms64 (anacs,pcgs,ngc) within US Coins --Half Dollars and don't see my listing, I got

My listing is this:

It's MS64 and it's PCGS and it's a half dollar, so what is NOT most relevant about it?

I searched:

got zero results.

how long ago did you list this?  If within the last hour or so, it might not be indexed yet.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

A bit OT...but amusing.

I was researching COMPLETEDS to see what I might be able to sell.  There were 45.  I then clicked on how many of those 45 SOLD and...

There were 48!!!

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

This is sofa king annoying. Who asked ebay it's opinion on what is or is not "relevant"? Knock it off!

Message 25 of 25
latest reply