cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal balance was put into the negative by a claim, hasn't been remedied yet

I had a buyer open an ebay case against me on August 6th. At that time I had a positive balance of $64.24.

The claim was for "Item Not Received", and put my PP that much in the negative. I found this out when I needed to print a $3.63 shipping label and PP took the $3.63 PLUS the $64.24 from my credit card, total of $67.87.

I spoke to ebay and provided tracking showing the item was delivered and the case was closed in my favor on the 7th. The ebay rep told me my money would be put back into my PP account in 24-48 hours. It hasn't yet. 

I'm assuming it took the $67.87 in order to make up for the negative and to have the shipping label covered, but I've seen nothing to indicate the remainder was going to be given back to me.

Any words of advise? I specifically chose my credit card as a payment method to purchase the shipping label cost only, I was NOT expecting PP to take the entire amount out when my PP transaction record only shows the charge of $3.63 but my credit card says otherwise.

See transaction details below. I blocked out the personally identifiable information as best I could.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'd contact PayPal or post this on their discussion boards, since it appears to be a PayPal issue, not an eBay issue, at this point.

https://www.paypal-community.com
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@gunnerk19 wrote:

Any words of advise? I specifically chose my credit card as a payment method to purchase the shipping label cost only, I was NOT expecting PP to take the entire amount out when my PP transaction record only shows the charge of $3.63 but my credit card says otherwise.

You have an agreement with PayPal to reimburse them when your account is negative. 

PayPal is not obligated to "cover" for eBay's mistakes. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well that's helpful.  tired_face

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I did, actually. This post is a C&P of the post I made on the PP forums three days ago, haven't gotten any responses yet.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Have you called them? Or contacted them through their website? You can contact them via telephone or email.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/home

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

Or Facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal/

Or Twitter?

https://twitter.com/PayPal
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

But true.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@gunnerk19 wrote:

I spoke to ebay and provided tracking showing the item was delivered and the case was closed in my favor on the 7th. The ebay rep told me my money would be put back into my PP account in 24-48 hours. It hasn't yet. 

You should have been refunded so there's an error somewhere- possibly a mis-communication in the data being transferred between eBay and PayPal.

Based on what you said I fear PayPal would tell you it's an eBay problem while eBay would tell you it's a PayPal problem. To avoid the run-around I would call PayPal first and if they say it's an eBay problem- ask them to conference eBay on the call. PayPal has the ability to conference in a 3rd party but eBay doesn't- so call PayPal and try to make it a "one and done" call.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I know Paypal will "piggyback" on a new transaction to get the negative monies from your funding source. Heard that before.

But if ebay is going to tell PP to hold monies then they need to also release them in a timely fashion.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ebay sent me a notice that I had won an appeal on a claim and that I would receive a credit within 48 hours on July 31st.  Ebay didn't send me the credit until August 14th.  I must have called them about 6-7 times on the subject because they kept telling me.... rest assured it will be sent by such and such date.... then it wouldn't be deposited. 

Ebay is all screwed up.   They messed up the claim.  They messed up the return shipping label.  They messed up the credit to my account.  They provided horrible customer service.  I mean some of the worst customer service I have experienced in a decade.  I was in the process of closing my account when they finally sent the credit. I kept asking Why is it taking Ebay 2 weeks to send money when it takes every other person on the planet 2 minutes?  I finally asked them to just apply the credit to my current invoice.  They refused.  Every time I tried to talk to a different department they would send me back to the appeals Department that wasn't solving the problem.  

One of the customer service reps let it slip that they had some sort of massive system issue and they were having to manually enter a bunch of customer credits.  It's usually automated.  The system is supposed to process the credit when you receive the appeal decision notice.

The customer service reps kept repeating the same catch phrases.... like " Rest assured..."  .  I had one CS that must have said " Rest assured" a dozen times to me.  I kept telling her to stop saying that.  I wasn't resting assured until the money was deposited. I bet somebody is training them to repeat certain phrases to try to calm upset customers.... but it is actually infuriating to hear "rest assured" while the CS rep does nothing to solve your problem.   I really wonder how many sellers don't ever receive their credits.

Usually, a seller would be grateful if they won an appeal.  Ebay lost any goodwill they earned from the appeal by creating a huge fiasco with sending the credit.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply