cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: eBay is destroying small businesses by implementing unrealistic INR metrics

At the moment our shop has 1 INR, which was not our fault - buyer simply changed living addres during delivery, packet was sent back by post. Then I've sent again for free to new address. But item not received (INR) was opened (I think automatically - buyer just wanted to send a message that packet was not received - but eBay escalated it to claim). So - no ability to appeal this INR to eBay - no such option on eBay. Market average INR is 1,9%, our statistics due to that 1 INR - 2,4%....... Thus - selling is restricted. Craziness... why eBay destroying business?

Absurd INR metrics:

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 14-51-34 CBT Seller Dashboard.png

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Warning: eBay is destroying small businesses by implementing unrealistic INR metrics

@x-sistema 

You are located in Lithuania.  This a US community discussion forum.  We cannot see your sales or what you have listed.  

What applies in your country may not apply here in the US or other countries.  You may be better served by logging out of ebay.com and logging back into ebay.com/uk/ or ebay.com/eu.

Good luck getting the help and advice you need. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Buyer opened a 'case' for 'not received'. 

eBay does NOT 'self' or 'auto' open these cases. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I've created the same thread on ebay.de site - but no activity so far.. It is possible that those new INR rules will come (or already exists) in US also..

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

When the case was opened you should have had the chance to enter the tracking number to show that it was returned due to a bad address. That would not have counted against you and the case should have been closed in your favor. You need to respond to any cases. You can not simply ignore them. eBay has no way of knowing what happened unless you tell them through the case.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

When customer opens "item not received" case you need to respond immediately by providing "tracking number" proving that item was delivered.   If you do this you will "not get defect" and win case.

Sellers is not be held responsible because customer "changed address".  You should contact EBAY customer service and ask to have defect removed.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@x-sistema wrote:

Seems that I'm not wrong: https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/ebay-opens-cases-automatically-against-sellers-now-for-inr-or-na...

That's from 2014. It doesn't work like that anymore.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

But  due to 1 (!!) INR selling is restricted...... (buyer was happy that packet was sent again for free). This is not serious - eBay became dangerous now. Imagine how many thousands of hours were invested to create hundreds of listings........

Perhaps this warning will be helpful for all sellers - do not keep all eggs in one basket..

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

When the case was opened you should have had the chance to enter the tracking number to show that it was returned due to a bad address. That would not have counted against you and the case should have been closed in your favor. You need to respond to any cases. You can not simply ignore them. eBay has no way of knowing what happened unless you tell them through the case.

I did not think that winning an INR would remove it from being counted in the service metrics. I thought the service metrics included all cases, regardless of how they are resolved: 

What is the policy?

Sellers are expected to minimize the number of times that their buyers either:

• Report that an item hasn't arrived

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

Note that the policy says buyers who "Report that an item has not arrived" not "Win an INR".

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@x-sistema wrote:

It is possible that those new INR rules will come (or already exists) in US also..

These policies are exclusively for internationally located sellers (excluding Canada) listing on the .com site. eBay has been plagued by issues from new sellers, particularly international drop shippers. These rules are intended to get that situation under control. Unfortunately there are well established reputable sellers that have been caught in the net.

You can find details on the eBay Export site for international sellers listing on .com.

INR / Item Not Received policy:

https://export.ebay.com/en/regulations/ebay-policies/shipping-performance-policy-item-not-received-r...

BBE / Bad Buyer Experience policy:

https://export.ebay.com/en/regulations/ebay-policies/bber/

The US & Canada have their own sets of rules and service metrics to deal with.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@x-sistema wrote:

Seems that I'm not wrong: https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/ebay-opens-cases-automatically-against-sellers-now-for-inr-or-na...

That article is from TEN years ago.  It is unlikely to be true then and it isn't true now.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@x-sistema 

You must have more INRs than one in your Service Metrics.  I say that because you have two other threads on this subject you started earlier this month.  Each talking about an INR you had.

This one you are talking about here, if you have the same seller protections on INRs as we do here on the US site, then Ebay should rule in your favor on the INR and you would not have to refund.  However the INR still is represented in your Service Metrics numbers.

Last summer Ebay tighten up on INRs in the Service Metrics for International sellers such as yourself.  If you have read through this info, you should.

https://export.ebay.com/en/regulations/ebay-policies/shipping-performance-policy-item-not-received-r...

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@x-sistema wrote:

That article is from TEN years ago.  It is unlikely to be true then and it isn't true now.

Actually it was true back then in 2014. I remember the (justified) outrage from sellers. eBay reversed that asinine programming, but it took a while. I think we had to live with it for about a year? Two? My memory is foggy since it was 10 years ago, but it was definitely real.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2013/4/1366647457.html/2/20

As you and I both mentioned, it's definitely not how things work today. I would have ditched this place long ago if that was still in play.

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I stand corrected.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply