cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING!!! BUYERS RIPPING OFF SELLERS ON JEWELRY!!!!

I haven't sold much jewelry on ebay before but this first and last experience was a NIGHTMARE!!! Buyer sells jewelry and purchased my ONE vintage 14k serpent earring with emerald eyes within 10 minutes!  10 minutes!!! Then after receiving she claims eyes not emeralds and damaged!!! I received back NOT in the same condition, she had removed the jewels replacing them with glass and EPOXY,  BENT the earring in process AND get this, VERY FREUDIAN, actually STOLE the jewelry gift box I had sent it in and replaced with CHEAPER VERSION!!!I  One for the ebay books folks!!! VERY VERY DIFFICULT SITUATION!!! So I recommend to small time mom and pop people like myself DO NOT SELL JEWELRY!!!!   WARNING, SELLER'S BEWARE!!!!!!

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: WARNING!!! BUYERS RIPPING OFF SELLERS ON JEWELRY!!!!

wrote:

I once had a similar costume item.  It was a little mouse with eyes glued in.  And one day the glue let loose and one of the eyes fell out.

Extreme heat, cold, jostling around - the eyes could have simply moved a bit.

I did a bit of search on Miriam Haskell and from what I am reading she dealt mostly in costume jewelry and rhinestones.  Yes she did use real pearls but I do not see where she ever used real emeralds.

Also, I agree with another poster that is a manufacturers mark, not a purity mark.  And when you look at the earrings from the inside, they look plated, not real gold.

Just to clarify - the MH earrings are authentic and they don't have any stones (real or otherwise on them)  they entered into the thread because people were looking at the OPs other listings.

the earring in question wasn't identified as MH by the OP. It was, however, identified as 14K and real emerald - which regardless of whether the picture of the earrings and bracelet a poster found are from the same set - doesn't appear to have any marking except this and I don't have the knowledge to identify it, although someone on one of the Jewelry boards/groups might be able to do so:

Is this right-side up?  Don't know!Is this right-side up? Don't know!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 46 of 51
latest reply

PINTEREST Seller lists above as 14k gold and vintage.  Mine came from JEWLERY store. NOT rinestone.  Was gold cast and jewelry store put own stones in them.  Mine were emeralds!  Do alittle bit more research, talk to the pintest seller who will agree.  And btw she sells items for up to $5,000. 

Message 47 of 51
latest reply

It looks like you chose the wrong method for figuring if yours was real and what they where worth.

Message 48 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

PINTEREST Seller lists above as 14k gold and vintage.  Mine came from JEWLERY store. NOT rinestone.  Was gold cast and jewelry store put own stones in them.  Mine were emeralds!  Do alittle bit more research, talk to the pintest seller who will agree.  And btw she sells items for up to $5,000. 

The pintrest shown in the earlier post - 2 earrings and a bracelet?

The listing title says those are RHINESTONES  and the title is Red Rhinestone Eyes Hissing Snake, Serpent Bracelet, Earring Vintage Set. The link to the listing is rubylanevintage and the item is not available.  So I'm not sure how you came to believe this was listed as 14K gold - the title didn't say that.  

Are you referring to the same pintrest item?

You listed your single earring as VINTAGE ESTATE.  Are you saying you got this at a jewelry store?  And the jewelry store put their own stones in them?   Wow this is most interesting! I have never known a jewelry store to enhance a single earring in a piece of estate jewelry especially one lone solitary earring.  That seems like a very odd practice.

So you trusted the jeweler's word for it that this item was  an estate item, it was originally part of a set, was 14K gold and that the eyes were real emeralds (emeralds provided courtesy of the jeweler) ?

What an interesting explanation!  Thank you for sharing that!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 49 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

I once had a similar costume item.  It was a little mouse with eyes glued in.  And one day the glue let loose and one of the eyes fell out.

Extreme heat, cold, jostling around - the eyes could have simply moved a bit.

I did a bit of search on Miriam Haskell and from what I am reading she dealt mostly in costume jewelry and rhinestones.  Yes she did use real pearls but I do not see where she ever used real emeralds.

Also, I agree with another poster that is a manufacturers mark, not a purity mark.  And when you look at the earrings from the inside, they look plated, not real gold.

Just to clarify - the MH earrings are authentic and they don't have any stones (real or otherwise on them)  they entered into the thread because people were looking at the OPs other listings.

the earring in question wasn't identified as MH by the OP. It was, however, identified as 14K and real emerald - which regardless of whether the picture of the earrings and bracelet a poster found are from the same set - doesn't appear to have any marking except this and I don't have the knowledge to identify it, although someone on one of the Jewelry boards/groups might be able to do so:

Is this right-side up?  Don't know!Is this right-side up? Don't know!

I don't know what that mark is, but it doesn't matter because it is the earring backing. Anybody can switch out an earring backing as they are often lost. 

True, pinterest seller (rubylane) did not claim hers were gold, only vintage. 

I do own a real gold ruby serpent ring, and the eyes are inset very securely, not sticking out glued looking like those are. 

This thread is much ado about nothing. Where's the picture of what the seller received back? We would all like to see it. 

Message 50 of 51
latest reply

Hey 

I had almost a similar experience. Buyer bought 2 sterling silver and cubic zircon eternity band and broke them damaged them. Opened the return with product damaged. eBay by default provided shipping label charging me. This buyer returned the ring in thin envelope without a safe packaging or my suede packaging, she kept both the jewelry box, pouches and a bag. When I requested the buyer for my packaging she escalated the case and eBay closed it against me marking a defect on my account 😞 

Message 51 of 51
latest reply