cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING!!! BUYERS RIPPING OFF SELLERS ON JEWELRY!!!!

I haven't sold much jewelry on ebay before but this first and last experience was a NIGHTMARE!!! Buyer sells jewelry and purchased my ONE vintage 14k serpent earring with emerald eyes within 10 minutes!  10 minutes!!! Then after receiving she claims eyes not emeralds and damaged!!! I received back NOT in the same condition, she had removed the jewels replacing them with glass and EPOXY,  BENT the earring in process AND get this, VERY FREUDIAN, actually STOLE the jewelry gift box I had sent it in and replaced with CHEAPER VERSION!!!I  One for the ebay books folks!!! VERY VERY DIFFICULT SITUATION!!! So I recommend to small time mom and pop people like myself DO NOT SELL JEWELRY!!!!   WARNING, SELLER'S BEWARE!!!!!!

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Melee sized stones, even diamonds, are not worth anything on the secondary market.

If you brought them set in a gold ring to a pawn shop, they would not even be interested in them and would pay you based on the gold content alone.

Are you saying the emeralds were very clean?  If so then they probably are fake because all real emeralds have natural  inclusions.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

So the gold is worth more than the emeralds in this case? 

A thief then would steal the gold and not return it, instead of bothering to take the time to replace the emeralds with cheap stones. They would return it with nothing in the empty spots.

I'm not saying the OP is not telling the truth. It's just a bizarre story. 

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Just going by what I have observed.

Stones under .20 - melee are worthless.

That is why I never worry about someone swapping out the small stones from a ring.  It would cost more in labor than what the stones are worth.

Also, with emeralds, they all have natural inclusions.  So a very clean emerald is usually glass.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

Im sorry that earring looks costume to me
Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Why else would a Buyer purchased ONE earring if not for the stones she sees in the piece??? Originally this was a one of a kind pair of vintage emerald eye snake post 14k gold earrings from 1970.  I imagine she gets by doing this,  by choosing carefully the people she theives from.  Ebay was awesome and was fair to me.  I just want to WARN folks that this is going on! Had no idea.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

Me neither, except she seems to specialize in emeralds!  Plus you can see the color and clarity of the stones in my pictures.  And she purchased almost immediately after I listed. Soooooo shady!!!

OP, most sellers would be delighted to sell an item right away. It does happen. I would not consider that on its own as evidence of suspicious behavior. There would be no way for a buyer to anticipate what is going to be listed and when, unless the seller has made it known.

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

As Emerald says....lol. And not you Emerald, but all emeralds have natural inclusions, or faults. Same with Rubies and many other gem stones. When something is pristine, I would want a lab report with it. Generally, the only way you can tell a gem is not lab created is by having it tested, or seeing a perfectly clean gem. 

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

Why else would a Buyer purchased ONE earring if not for the stones she sees in the piece??? Originally this was a one of a kind pair of vintage emerald eye snake post 14k gold earrings from 1970.  I imagine she gets by doing this,  by choosing carefully the people she theives from.  Ebay was awesome and was fair to me.  I just want to WARN folks that this is going on! Had no idea.

Maybe the earring arrived damage, and the buyer tried to repair it. Maybe it was so damaged the original box was so damaged that she put the earring a new box to return it.

Maybe the buyer isnt a bad buyer (as evidenced by others who say they have dealt with her) and the USPS screwed up.

Sellers are so darned quick to scream they were scammed, buyers are so darned quick to say they were ripped off and mostly its not the buyer or seller scamming but other issues like USPS.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Why do this?  She seems to specialize in emerald jewelry.  My theory is that there was another piece she or someone had that needed the same size stones to complete.  Then she gets my earring, gets my stones, and gets to complete her piece.  Even if we monitor her jewelry for sale I can't say "hey those are my emeralds".  PLUS it cost her NOTHING, she got them for FREE.  It just increased the value of whatever jewelry she needed to complete. That is the warning.  This will happen to jewelry sellers and after researching the issue it happens ALL the time!

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

That does make sense...it's scary to think of  a buyer that is trusted (at least by one poster on this thread) that goes rogue on someone else. I suppose the best way to steal is to only do it once in awhile, very sneaky. However I never saw the name of the buyer and it's all speculation. 

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

Why do this?  She seems to specialize in emerald jewelry.  My theory is that there was another piece she or someone had that needed the same size stones to complete.  Then she gets my earring, gets my stones, and gets to complete her piece.  Even if we monitor her jewelry for sale I can't say "hey those are my emeralds".  PLUS it cost her NOTHING, she got them for FREE.  It just increased the value of whatever jewelry she needed to complete. That is the warning.  This will happen to jewelry sellers and after researching the issue it happens ALL the time!

She could have bought lose stones for less than $125, and not had her money tied up for days filing a return...try again

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

OP got something back other than what she sent - where, when and why can only be assumed - but I do believe the OP did not receive the item back that she sold. I try to stay impartial and am usually called a troll as I side with the buyer on many of these situations.

We have some very smart people out there - buyers and sellers - who know exactly who they can pull something over on and who they can't. Should an accusation arise - they can point to their feedback in defense but not everyone is as squeaky clean as their feedback seems.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

It looks fake to me. The OP said she bought at an estate sale. How does she even know it is real and it would not be worth the buyer's trouble to change the stones.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Pretty simple to understand seller buys single earrings that can be transformed into a pendant that she resells for $299.00 she took a gamble on yours being gold,but it didn't pan out...

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

wrote:

Plus you can see the color and clarity of the stones in my pictures. 

Have you looked at your own pictures?

They are so blurry it's hard to tell there are "stones" much less the color and clarity. 

I am surprised you got a buyer to pay that price basically sight-unseen.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply