cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage mid-century spices.. collectable or valuable?

numisnorway
Trailblazer

Been trying to do some research, but can't really find much information that is satisfactory so hoping for a little help.

A while back i acquired 2 cases of 2 different types of Ehlers spices, 12 in each case. Both have a distinct mid-century design.. all unopened etc. Did snoop around and found out that people are paying some money for empty containers although they seemed to have a more exotic styling on the glass, but still somewhat generic in my opinion.. so i am wondering what i can charge for these or if they have any value at all? Probably a pain in the rear end to find a buyer for these things or what?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Vintage mid-century spices.. collectable or valuable?

I wonder if you should even sell these as I am sure they have an expiry date on them.  You never know someone might try to use the spices and get sick.  Sounds like opening a can of worms that should stay closed.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Spices might have a "best used" date on them but I doubt that dried spices have an expiration date.  But they will have lost most of their flavor enhancing abilities over time.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is the type of situation that auctions are for. Set an opening price that you'd be willing to sell for, and pray that there are two people out there looking for your item.

As long as you list it in a Collectibles-type category rather than under Food, there's no concern about the age of the contents.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As a precaution, I would relate that I was advised by a lady in England that some countries will not allow importation of old products such as this so I had to dump a spice out for her.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi, i took at look on Worthpoint with “vintage ehlers spices” and found 189 listings sold, with $73 being the high price point.

When i searched for vintage spice containers, it returned over 16,000 listings sold with the high price near $2000. So there is definitely a market.

92224DCA-C101-43C9-A6C8-7785B059076B.jpeg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply