cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Ads on ebay pages

Okay the regular print ads on our ebay selling pages are one thing....

BUT these new VIDEO ADS are super ANNOYING, and DISTRACTING!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Video Ads on ebay pages

Add their Element Hiding Helper and you can selectivly block content on pages.

Also disable Flash, Silverlight, etc., or set them to 'Always Ask' to be activated if your browser offers that type of option.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 16 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@chrysylys wrote:

Add their Element Hiding Helper and you can selectivly block content on pages.

Also disable Flash, Silverlight, etc., or set them to 'Always Ask' to be activated if your browser offers that type of option.

I have flash disabled / always ask and wondered if that might be why I'm hearing but not seeing. Strange though because for other sites it just blocks those ads completely. It's like the audio content is embedded separately from the video... never run into a situation quite like it.

Message 17 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Thank you for the suggestions! 

--Please don't shoot the messenger--
Message 18 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I just disabled flash and checked several items on my watch list--No videos opened, just got the old Ebay ad that I always used to get.  Of course, I wasn't getting a video everytime anyway, so I will keep checking and update if needed.  Thanks for everyones help!

Message 19 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Yep, yesterday on ebay started getting the audio and video ads too. Crazy annoying. Hard to believe they make for a quality user experience that gets talked about. . 

Message 20 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

Yep, yesterday on ebay started getting the audio and video ads too. Crazy annoying. Hard to believe they make for a quality user experience that gets talked about. . 

EXACTLY!

One should NOT have to have ad block,or any other blocks in place, ebay should NOT be running these very ANNOYING video ads...PERIOD!

I don't like the print ads on pages but that one thing we all deal with it as sellers,it is what it is, BUT these VIDEO ads are plain RIDICULOUS,and going to FAR!

Message 21 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

And as long as they make eBay money they will stay, and no amount of hooting and hollering short of a mass exodus will do anything to change that.

Message 22 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@gsn13579 wrote:

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

EXACTLY!

One should NOT have to have ad block,or any other blocks in place, ebay should NOT be running these very ANNOYING video ads...PERIOD!

I don't like the print ads on pages but that one thing we all deal with it as sellers,it is what it is, BUT these VIDEO ads are plain RIDICULOUS,and going to FAR!

I agree with both of you. As a buyer I LEAVE sites that have video/audio ads. Thanks for your help to encourage sales, eBay. Smiley Indifferent

Message 23 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I do not have flash installed on my computer, nor do I have speakers attached, so I am generally not exposed to these annoyances. However, for a couple of days I was seeing script errors associated with advertising in the same location you are describing.  It appeared only sporadically, as if attached to a specific advertisement, which I could reproduce if I refreshed a listing enough times.

From the error messages, it appears the same problem is occurring with different video IDs.

Reading through the code, the script appears to be checking whether or not the video is running, but if there is no Flash player, the query can not succeed, so the script hangs in a loop until my browser throws an error message.

viewitem_advertiser_error.jpg

The ad on the listing page begins as a Google syndication frame. The Google ad window is a container for third party ad streamers, which may be consolidators for yet other providers.

http://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-4/html/container.html

So google is a frame into a new URL:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/N6245/adi/ebay.ebayus.vip/MPU;items=;ice=;ccode=;sz=300x250;u=i_8983904974587870385|m_237697;;dcopt=ist;tile=1;ot=0;eb_trk=237697;cg=9b08fdf01560a7e348a3a9e3fae1a41e;ord=1476576665500;

which may be a frame or link to yet another URL

https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/adi/...

https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/adi/N3340.288332.ACCUEN/B10356228.138573562;dc_ver=34.89;sz=300x250;dc_adk=2677554862;ord=qic2fg;click=http%3A%2F%2Fd.agkn.com%2Fpixel%2F4134%2F%3Fche%3D145247%26col%3D394352%2C23%2C1318560%2C%2C2637445%2Cc55e0498-e278-4126-8d09-a17d746845fe%26l0%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Finsight.adsrvr.org%2Ftrack%2Fclk%3Fimp%3Dc55e0498-e278-4126-8d09-a17d746845fe%26ag%3Dcsiu1q1%26crid%3D8p4ldtv7%26cf%3D%26fq%3D0%26td_s%3Debay.com%26rcats%3D%26mcat%3Dgs_fashion_misc%26mste%3D%26mfld%3D4%26mssi%3D6d6opssrtjv9%26mfsi%3D2l9zcfnnqx%26sv%3Daoladtech%26uhow%3D161%26agsa%3D%26rgco%3DUnited%2520States%26rgre%3DCalifornia%26rgme%3D807%26rgci%3DLa%2520Honda%26rgz%3D94020%26dt%3DPC%26osf%3DWindows%26os%3DWindowsXP%26br%3DFirefox%26svpid%3D%26rlangs%3Den%26mlang%3D%26did%3D%26rcxt%3DOther%26tmpc%3D16.39%26vrtd%3D%26osi%3D%26osv%3D%26daid%3D%26dnr%3D0%26vpb%3D%26svsc%3D%26dur%3DCjAKDGNoYXJnZS1hbGwtMSIgCP%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252FwESE3R0ZF9kYXRhX2V4Y2x1c2lvbnMKNwodY2hhcmdlLWFsbEdyYXBlc2hvdENhdGVnb3JpZXMiFgj3%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F8BEglncmFwZXNob3QKOAoeY2hhcmdlLWFsbEdyYXBlc2hvdEJyYW5kU2FmZXR5IhYI9v%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252FARIJZ3JhcGVzaG90Cj0KJGNoYXJnZS1hbGxJbnRlZ3JhbFN1c3BpY2lvdXNBY3Rpdml0eSIVCPX%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252F%252FwESCGludGVncmFs%26crrelr%3D%26svscid%3D10588-306481%26r%3D;dc_rfl=2,http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F172375390010$0;xdt=1;crlt=vtIcu1O9A';sttr=792;prcl=s?

And who knows how many levels deep until this page is linked:

http://pixel.adsafeprotected.com 

We see that the error page is from http://pixel.adsafeprotected.com which may be several layers deep in the advertising heirarchy, which starts out as a google syndication frame. The error message that stopped my browser is directly linked to initialization of the video.

Error: Script terminated by timeout at:
__IntegralASConfig.initVideo/$a/</<@http://pixel.adsafeprotected.com/fwjsvid/st/64336/10592785/skeleton.js?videoId=c2003b9aab8a1cbf3213d677eaff34f7:276:482

I also see this report in my Firefox error log, which shows that Google ads can not play because I don't have the proper resources (Flash) installed.

http://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-4/html/container.html
Cannot play media. No decoders for requested formats: application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-shockwave-flash

Are you still encountering the self-starting audio/video?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 24 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Don't I know it!!  It's destroying my computer!  When this happens when I get to a website thru Google search, I close the website IMMEDIATELY and never come back.   Before, I could keep up a half dozen windows of ebay ads on my monitor.  Now, I have to close down EVERY window except the one I'm looking up and CAN'T WAIT to get away from buying anymore on ebay once it's finished!!  This is NOT a good way of keeping buyers on ebay!! I'd rather just head to the individual small websites that sell what I want.

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 25 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

EBAY!!!!!!

One.... You make money off every listing and every purchase, that must not be enough!  (GREEDY)

These video ad's at the bottom of the page are horrible!   

I am looking for something and it keeps pulling me in Safari on my Mac, back down to the bottom of the page because the auto play ads start.  It also won't let you scroll back up, just keeps going back to the bottom of the page!

Then I am looking at an item, same thing, can even read the discription, because I keep getting pulled down to the ads.  What are you selling here?   Are you selling the items listed or insurance?   You need to make up your mind, because I will tell you, I am going to look on Etsy.com now for what I was looking for, because I am sick of the ads and not being able to keep my page in place!

How in the heck are you suppose to find anything or purchase anything, if you keep getting pulled down to the bottom of the page to watch ads!!!!!!!!

Message 26 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@shipscript wrote:

Are you still encountering the self-starting audio/video?

@shipscript Yes, and frequently! I have flash disabled but the video ads are still running. It's a banner-style box at the bottom of the page where the image of the video is cut-off, but it runs with audio, and it keeps cycling over and over 'til you close out or refresh the page and HOPE it's not there when you go back or refresh.

Message 27 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I shut down Adobe flash several days ago and the ads ended.  Today they are back, but just the video.  I cannot hear any audio generating from the ads-which is still very intrusive, but to not have to listen to them is much more pleasant.  (My computer speakers are working fine)

Over the last week, since these ads first appeared on Ebay--I have noticed that not one other site Ive visted has these ads.   Either Ebay is doing this or there has been some kind of Ebay site takeover to ad ads.

Message 28 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Good point, not that I like active content anyways, but with the 2017 update and sellers can't have it on their listings, the past couple weeks eBay seems to have went overboard with it.. (according to topics accross the boards), 

I have noticed the lag in loading of pages on search as well the past couple weeks. But have not had any major issues.

I'm running on Win 8.1, AVG anti-virus and Chrome browser on defaut with Adblock Plus . I also utilize Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CCleaner weekly.

Just researching between here and the river I notice Adblock Plus here blocks on average 12-20 ads and at the river 4-8 ads. Adblock Plus blocks intrusive "active content" aka ads in web pages.

Hummmmm, make it a good buying experence is what eBay has posted in their "active content" blurp. Really??

Message 29 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Ebay ONLY beleives SELLERS can give buyers a BAD buying experience...

NOTHING ebay does,or does NOT do could possibly AFFECT buyers negatively,and give them a BAD buying experience! Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 54
latest reply