cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vendors listing items as located in the USA, but shipping from china

Been noticing a trend lately: vendors in China posting listings to eBay USA, stating the the items ship from various U.S. states to show quick delivery estimates, but in reality, the items ship from China, and are generally very late- sometimes by a month or more...

I've been scammed by this as a buyer, but I'm also a seller, and this deceitful practice is definitely costing U.S. sellers a lot of lost sales.

I've been scammed by this twice in the past month, trying to buy the same item.

The "location" of the item- the place it is supposed to ship from- was listed as inside of the continental USA for both items: one in california, and one in new york.

Both listings had great delivery estimates. After the first was a week late, I purchased the second, as it was stated to be shipping from a location about 20 miles from my home.

After another week passed, and the second item was late, I started looking into it. Both sellers were listed as being in China... Their explanation, which is a total lie, is that they ship from a warehouse located in the USA...

I checked tracking, which in both cases was a USPS number, at the WINIT website, and *both* shipments were shown to originate in China, not the USA... If you run the usps number at the usps website, it simply shows no movement at all, until the shipment actually arrives in the USA and enters the local postal system- but if you enter that same tracking number at the WINIT website, it will show the truth behind where your item is coming from...

Naturally, when I figured this all out, I was mad and felt cheated, both as a buyer and as a seller- so I did the only thing I could- I contacted eBay...

eBay was of no help at all. The international sellers stall, because eventually, the item will be delivered, and they will be off the hook. eBay has no interest in helping deceived buyers, mostly because the call center that you talk to is located on the other side of the world... so, you're left waiting. Maybe it will come, maybe it won't...If it does, you're stuck with it, long after you don't need it anymore, and if it doesn't- well, then you start the process of demanding your money back- generally about 2 months after the item should have been in your hands...

You can report this behavior, but seriously- the folks who answer the phones at eBay are generally located in the same area as the folks who are lying about the item location. They have no real motivation to help buyers located on the other side of the world. Why would they stop business from their own side of the globe? Bad, bad idea to have ever outsourced the customer service call center...

This practice is growing larger all of the time. Not only is it bad for buyers as explained above, but it's also harmful to sellers in the USA, who now have to compete with chinese vendors who lie about the item location to make additional sales- from people who sometimes prefer *not* to buy goods from china, as well as those who need a timely delivery...

Bad, bad business...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You will want to report the seller for Item Location Misrepresentation. Go to your purchase history and click on the listing with the item. On the next page, click on the link next to the title of the item that says "See original listing". That will take you to the actual item listing you purchased from.

Scroll down the page until you find the Report Item button. (It is a box near the bottom of the page when using the app. If on a PC, you will find it above the description on the right hand side.) Click on Report Item and the report will appear.

On the first drop down box titled Report Category, select "Listing practices". On the second drop down entitled Reason for Report, choose "Other listing practices". Then the last drop down for Detailed Reason, select "Item location misrepresentation." Then click Continue. Another box will appear for you to make a brief note in. Identify yourself as the buyer and explain your issue in just a few words. Then click Submit. As the actual buyer, your report will be given greater weight.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Same thing happened to me twice. I didn't notice until I clicked on their user name that they were based in China 😞 There are tons of listings now that are that way and I don't know why ebay allows this as even sometimes when you click on the name it says they are located here. Ive noticed this to be the case on items that are sold out like mask thermometers and other hard to get items. I was trying to buy a no touch thermometer and all 30 listings were from China or claimed to be in the US and are in China.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You wouldn't believe how many listings on the site are advertised as shipping from the USA, but are actually shipping from China. It's not just masks and thermometers, it's everything you could think of, from $1 items all the way up to big dollar merchandise

I consider it deceptive, and site manipulation. On top of that, it's stealing sales from U.S. sellers. By lying, and saying their items are shipping from the USA, these international sellers are deceiving buyers into believing that the items will be delivered quickly, when in fact, they are literally- on the slow boat from china...

...That's just plain wrong...

Message 4 of 4
latest reply