Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Usage

Are you allowed to use a VPN on eBay? Thanks

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: VPN Usage

Yes, that's true. I'm just saying that using a VPN on Ebay kinda has to be allowed. Like when you log on with your phone, or you go to a friends house and use there Wifi and list an item. I guess they could get get the IP blocks that the VPN's are using and blacklist them.

Actually there's probably a few VPN IP's that are currently blacklisted because of nefarious activity.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@rabites-n-chocobos 

>Actually there's probably a few VPN IP's that are currently blacklisted because of nefarious activity.

There are quite a few providers that routinely block IP ranges. Cloudflare is a big offender. Depending on the world situation, they sometimes block entire countries. Nearly everybody blocks North Korea and often Iran.

When I get a blocked page, if I really want to see it, I just switch to another location.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Netflix and ESPN are also starting to block US based VPN IP's. I used to watch NHL with a DNS proxy (Yonder.tv), but they blocked it. Then I went to a VPN, and they started blocking VPN IP's now. They block about 90% of the VPN IP's, but you can cycle through and still find the 10% that works.

It's a game of cat and mouse

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

I had US Netflix for a while.......... all gone now 🙃

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Never tried Netflix. My wife has it on one of my daughter's accounts, but she doesn't use a VPN.

Had an Amazon Prime trial some time back. Useless. The shipments never arrive the next day and the video, etc is blocked for VPN users.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Duh, really? (Sarcasm). I mentioned the password because a prior comment did. This thread is about how VPN's may improve security with Ebay. Obviously, there are other, unrelated benefits to using a VPN.

But who the heck would even care that his ISP is tracking his Ebay activity? ISP's use anonymous data, nothing that would directly effect security.

The very best security for a non-expert is provided by the Tor browser, but Ebay blocks it. And there are always proxy chains with third party encryption. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I use a VPN. Occasionally, my email provider blacklists the server that I'm using at the time, forcing me to pick another city. Sometimes I get lucky and pick one that Ebay will accept. Other times, not. Then starts the comedy. They force-reset my password and require that I contact Support to get a reset code. Why, just this morning, in response to my requests for them to allow me to reset my password, they sent me an email ASKING ME TO LOGIN to verify my identification. Of course, they blocked replies to that email, or I could have told them that I CAN'T LOGIN, THAT'S THE PROBLEM! 🙂

Ebay has serious problems in their IT and/or IT Security functions, and needs to take a good hard look at how they are keeping us "safe" by forcing us to be unsafe in our own security proctices. At one point in this most recent fiasco, I was told to turn off two-factor authentication in order to be able to reset my password. And to prove my identity? They actually asked for a copy of my passport. There is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks I will ever give Ebay a copy of my passport.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Are you serious?

You obviously have no idea why people use VPNs and even what a VPN is used for.
It has nothing to with changing passwords - it has to do with the security of your computer/phone/organization and business.
I've seen many business compromised by hackers getting into servers via static company IP's.
Ebay needs to grow up and leave VPN's alone - why would they block VPN's ????
All users need a user name and password verified - etc...
Blocking VPN's only puts the user at risk  NOT ebay.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply