cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Userbase decline

eBay's active user based peaked in 2018 with around 180million users and has been in steady decline ever since (at about 135million now).  Number of sellers peaked a couple years earlier (2015-2016) and have been in decline ever since as well.  eBay had their best two years profit wise in 2020 and 2021 yet users still decline in numbers.  When can we expect to see increases in people using the platform?  I almost never see any eBay advertising.  It's like everyone is just coasting and there's no real effort to improve the platform.  Real shame for us sellers.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Userbase decline

You will see eBay ads occasionally on streaming platforms like YouTube, but either non-impactful (the woman driving an Aquacar across a lake) or for sneaker sellers (the Authenticity Guarantee program). Nothing else of consequence. You're right, my page views are dropping like a rock, for staples that the aviation community needs and for which in many cases, I'm the only seller. Why? Because for new items, eBay is often a price loser to the largest online e-commerce company, and they've taken their eye off where they excel--used and hard-to-find items and parts.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You will see eBay ads occasionally on streaming platforms like YouTube, but either non-impactful (the woman driving an Aquacar across a lake) or for sneaker sellers (the Authenticity Guarantee program). Nothing else of consequence. You're right, my page views are dropping like a rock, for staples that the aviation community needs and for which in many cases, I'm the only seller. Why? Because for new items, eBay is often a price loser to the largest online e-commerce company, and they've taken their eye off where they excel--used and hard-to-find items and parts.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'm thinking of going with red in the shipping area of our little process area, to match the transaction list, maybe a speck of black here and there..

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@joels-retrocade wrote:

eBay's active user based peaked in 2018 with around 180million users and has been in steady decline ever since (at about 135million now).  Number of sellers peaked a couple years earlier (2015-2016) and have been in decline ever since as well.  eBay had their best two years profit wise in 2020 and 2021 yet users still decline in numbers.  When can we expect to see increases in people using the platform?  I almost never see any eBay advertising.  It's like everyone is just coasting and there's no real effort to improve the platform.  Real shame for us sellers.

Short answer - when the economy improves. When buyers once again have extra money to spend and sellers have extra money to invest in new inventory.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I just recently saw a couple different ads of eBay's making, which was a happy sighting in deed since It had been awhile. But I wonder where that info was being reported from and how the info was gathered. As you've stated the information to be "Active Users" that doesn't fully mean lost users. There are a lot of people hurting right now financially, so how long between their last using the platform because they're broke, are they counted as an "Inactive User".? There are also other questions as to how the info was gathered but by eBay's own change during the dreaded "Views Update", seemingly roughly 90% of their users or buyers are not surfing the platform, since an item that used to count 100+ views each month, now maybe get 3.!?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I dont think we can ever expect to see an increase in users over the best years

ebays day has peaked

just because ebay is on a long slow decline is no reason to be upset

there are many reason to sell here. the best reason is because its a great way to sell.

its sort of like expecting a bunch of has been rockers from the 90`s to all of a sudden put out there best work.

its just not going to happen

@joels-retrocade 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

There are potentially a lot of factors impacting sales two of the biggest are probably the economy and competition. EBay's "best" years in 20 & 21 were fueled by the pandemic. Wall Street had predicted the ecommerce decline once the pandemic was over and it has hit almost every ecommerce provider out there including Amazon.

Competition and poor business leadership has resulted in the demise of more than one company or at least split the market share. Remember Toys R Us, K-Mart, Sears, Blockbuster, Polaroid, Pan Am, Borders, Compaq, Kodak, GM, Ford cars....... 

The competition extends beyond the bounds of ecommerce. Rising shipping costs, the ecommerce sales tax collection, the 1099-K issuance changes (that is a topic in itself) have leveled the playing field between ecommerce and B&M stores. For those in larger metropolitan areas it is often cheaper to just acquire commodity type items from a local B&M store. The item can be obtained immediately, there is no concern over shipping damage, returns are simple and often the price is less. I buy almost nothing on eBay these days. When I am looking online for something I cannot find locally eBay is seldom the cheapest or fastest option but it will depend on what my primary driver is with regards to acquisition. 

I don't think it's a matter of advertising most people know the eBay name. It's more of a desire to use the site either for buying or selling and at the present time there are some downsides and constraints. Some sellers, myself included, will not list high dollar items on eBay due to the lack of seller protection. The authentication programs were a good ideal for both buyers and sellers but those have been fraught with problems and issues. There appears to be an increase in scamming activity and the rise/increase in chargebacks is a well known and documented problem. 

EBay seems to be singularly focused on the main goal of any publically traded company and that is to maximize the value of the company to its shareholders. There is nothing wrong with that and it is a lot easier to maintain that single focus when you hold a monopoly or are one of a limited number of players in the game but eBay is no longer in that position and their leadership cannot see the forest for the trees. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@silver_in_seattle_by_thecollector wrote:

I just recently saw a couple different ads of eBay's making, which was a happy sighting in deed since It had been awhile. But I wonder where that info was being reported from and how the info was gathered. As you've stated the information to be "Active Users" that doesn't fully mean lost users. There are a lot of people hurting right now financially, so how long between their last using the platform because they're broke, are they counted as an "Inactive User".? There are also other questions as to how the info was gathered but by eBay's own change during the dreaded "Views Update", seemingly roughly 90% of their users or buyers are not surfing the platform, since an item that used to count 100+ views each month, now maybe get 3.!?

@silver_in_seattle_by_thecollector  eBay defines "active" as having paid for or received payment for a transaction on eBay within the previous 12 months.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I like the Analogy lol.  Think it might be time for me to test the waters at another e-commerce venue.  Thinking the one for vintage and handmade items.  Would be perfect for everything I sell.  Just annoyed I have to do work and make that transition lol.  Still think eBay has a shot if they focused on the right strategies and didn't screw us Sellers at every corner lol.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Maybe eBay needs some sort of new niche to set them apart from Amazon and drive new users to the platform.

Maybe they could have an "Artisan Corner" where you can filter by only artists in your city or your state and they can do a big push for supporting local businesses.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Ebay had/has its niche--unusual and hard-to-find surplus and used items, mostly from small sellers. A lot of those sellers were chased from the marketplace and moved elsewhere, both by fees and policies, while eBay pushed to become another outlet for retailers. And, of course, the US marketplace for sellers from Asia. I know I hardly buy here at all anymore as I can't find the variety of merchandise I used to. The retail stuff is most always priced higher than the e-commerce leader's site, or local B&M stores.

I watched this loss-of-focus happen mainly during the Whitman/Donohoe transition. EBay will continue to slide until a team comes in to revitalize it, and brings it back to its roots. They won't be the first business who took their eye off the ball. Getting the sellers and buyers back becomes harder the more time passes, however.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply