cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unprotected Seller

Hello out there. First post, seller for 2 years, And super upset. 
I sold a beautiful, BRAND NEW (in original packaging, from store, and still factory folded) velvet quilt valued at $299 retail, for $240. Now this quilt was perfect, gorgeous, and is currently being sold $400-$500+ since it was a retired color from Pottery Barn 2010 Rustic Lux collection. 
The buyer used the didn’t look like pictures option wanting a refund. 
I asked for pictures. She sent pictures- and they looked exactly as the pictures in the listing. Absolutely. Also- all tags attached etc. 

I asked ebay to step in. 
Well the decided NOT only to give a full refund but let her keep my quilt. 
I am now out $600 total. $300 they took from my PayPal account, the $27 I paid in shipping to California, the $150 I paid for the quilt. And now I can’t resell or even keep it. 
It will take about 20 + sales to make that up. 
I have been reading all sorts of articles and comments online about how this always happens.
I only sell on the side. I started selling for fun. But as a small seller, I can’t afford this. 

Anyone experience this? 
I think it’s time for this to change. Anyone behind me? 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Unprotected Seller

"I asked ebay to step in."

@jenn-dude 

First lesson... always handle your sales without having to ask eBay to step in. 

When the buyer opened the Return, you'd have been much better off to accept the return, issue the shipping label and refund the buyer when the quilt came back home to you. You'd still have to refund, but you'd have the item back in your home... so not as  painful. I've been told (and I believe) to never sell anything I couldn't afford to lose.

I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson with such a great item, but the MBG is heavily favored toward buyers.

They'll win every time.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

ALWAYS accept the return as soon as buyer requested to return item FOR ANY REASON 

buyers are not required to prove a thing  buyer has eBay MBG period as long as the request is within the time period

Accept return from now on unless item is not worth return postage you do not intend to relist

Sorry this happened to you

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

Sorry this happened, but your math is flawed.

You are out original cost, seller fees, and shipping cost.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

Many of us have wanted this ridiculous returns system fixed for a long time.  We may as well be pizzing into a headwind for the response we get.  At the very least, eBay can be honest by warning that if we ask them to 'step in', we will be penalized.

I'm sorry you were the latest seller to fall victim to the lack of disclosure in this ridiculous system.  I doubt it's going to change.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

WELL  STATED  chapeau-noir

Agree 100%

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

I am now out $600 total. $300 they took from my PayPal account, the $27 I paid in shipping to California, the $150 I paid for the quilt.

Before the transaction you had a quilt you paid $150 for. After the transaction, you no longer have a quilt you paid $150 for and you have $27 less in cash. That's $177, not $600. 

I have been reading all sorts of articles and comments online about how this always happens.

You forgot to add "when the seller refuses the return and asks eBay to step in". 

I think it’s time for this to change.

What you think is probably not in line with what eBay thinks.

Anyone behind me? 

If "behind you" means "wishing that eBay would make it more fair, but knowing that they won't" then ... sure, why not. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

At the very least, eBay can be honest by warning that if we ask them to 'step in', we will be penalized.

@chapeau-noir 

I liken it to a strip mall landlord. The landlord wants customers in the stores there... but don't care if they shop at your  store or not. They only want to hear from you when you pay your rent/invoice.

I'm so glad I'm not a new seller anymore.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

Welcome to being an eBay seller. You're not protected from shady buyers and eBay will always side with the buyer. To top it if they think you under paid shipping they come take that too

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

@arlingtontxjunkshop wrote:

Welcome to being an eBay seller. You're not protected from shady buyers and eBay will always side with the buyer. To top it if they think you under paid shipping they come take that too

eBay lets you know that the carrier charged for underpaid shipping.

eBay does not come take that

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

tell that to my PayPal account and the 4.14 they took as shipping adjustment 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

By the way, seller protection is just a lie posted to get more people to sell.  Always keep in mind, eBay isn't watching your back, they are more likely to be stabbing you in the back.

And the 'rule' that we all learned the hard way still stands.  Don't list anything you cannot afford to lose.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

@arlingtontxjunkshop wrote:

tell that to my PayPal account and the 4.14 they took as shipping adjustment 

One is billed for the adjustment through whatever payment method they used.

I was billed for undercharge on a package that I shipped through PirateShip - they billed my usual payment method (credit card).   eBay didn't come into the picture.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

At the very least, eBay can be honest by warning that if we ask them to 'step in', we will be penalized.

@chapeau-noir 

I liken it to a strip mall landlord. The landlord wants customers in the stores there... but don't care if they shop at your  store or not. They only want to hear from you when you pay your rent/invoice.

I'm so glad I'm not a new seller anymore.

Between one thing and another, something that should be easy is like a minefield.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Unprotected Seller

@jenn-dude wrote:

I asked ebay to step in. 

As a seller, never do that.

Accept the return, pay return shipping and refund the buyer once something is returned.

Then you can complain to Ebay, won't do any good though.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 25
latest reply