cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair Negative Feedback Issue on eBay

Hello Community Members,

I recently encountered a situation where a buyer left negative feedback on my profile, alleging that I ignored their messages and provided a subpar item. What's frustrating is that I promptly responded to his one message. Never heard from them again till I saw that feedback. Basically, they asked for money back while providing false evidence. I said No. They retaliated by leaving negative feedback with false accusations. 

I've taken the appropriate steps by requesting feedback removal and urging them to initiate a return for a refund. However, the buyer has ignored my messages and kept the item, indicating a potential ulterior motive to extort a refund without returning the purchased item.

I've escalated the matter to eBay, but the challenges I've encountered make me question the fairness of the feedback system for sellers. It's disheartening to see my previously 100% positive feedback affected by what seems to be an unjust situation.

I'm curious if any of you have faced similar challenges and, if so, how you successfully resolved them?

Let's share our experiences and support each other in this type of environment.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Unfair Negative Feedback Issue on eBay

But it’s not my policy for a 1 day turnaround and it’s stated so and please STOP telling  people what they SHOULD be able to do!!! My sons car was broadsided and totaled thankfully he’s ok but he has no car to get to work so we have to share.  There are a million reasons that people can’t get to the post office everyday.  It’s none of anyone’s business!

As long as it’s stated in the CONTRACT

when you buy you agree to the terms…Get it. ?

why is this so hard and why is everyone so demanding lately 

no one has EVER complained about my shipping terms…NEVER!  Oh and I get great feedback too! Imagine that…

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

You can leave a Response to any feedback.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for refund."

You might add "Delivered 15/2/24. FB 30/2/24. "

Then wait.

If he hasn't done anything after a couple of weeks, add a new Response.
"Not yet returned 30/3/24"

A Seller leaves Feedback and Responses , not for the buyer, but for future Buyers.

Be calm, polite, factual, professional.

And short.

Feedback is a legacy of the 20th century internet when buying online was edgy and scary, instead of how we have pizza delivered and buy 100 rubber duckies because it's 3 am and why not.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

Thank you! Simple isn’t it?

Some of these posters act like I did something wrong 

I guess siding with abusive unreasonable people is the way we  roll these days

😢

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Thank you they were reported and it’s been escalated.  They read the messsges and admitted it’s extreme and abusive

AND they told me there was nothing wrong with my auction and the way I handled it

i Really appreciate your input 😊

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

social media customer service is worse.they dont follow the policy put in place and make it up as they go even though one presents all the proof and also ways of which policy is broken...theydont care.i had recently a buyer far worse than the op as well as fraudulant returns and retalitory feedback.it was all clear as day as i did make a thread about it here but nobody responded of course.this community is really not much help..better off just reading the help inn ebay yourself because here thats all you get it seems like....copy paste 

your negative will not be taken down.

i have had several in the past taken down but something has changed this year with customer service and the honesty and policy following from them.

my most recent feedbacks 2 negative from same person total fabrications  and all proveable in messageing....they did not budge.

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

my guess why is because ...well i think it has something to do with what was forced upon the world in 2019-20...and those that gave in

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@try 

" I didn’t receive eBay payment until the weekend.  And it’s my choice to wait until I actually get paid … it’s stated on my auctions ."  You received the payment moments after the buyer paid.  Whenever that was.  Waiting until the money is actually send to your bank account or worse waiting until it arrives at your bank, is problematic and will get you into problems no matter what your auctions state.

You are required to ship within your stated handling time.  If you shipped by the Monday following the purchase and payment, then you were within your stated handling time.  And that is what you are required by Ebay to do, ship within your stated handling time.  If you want more time to ship to allow the money to actually get to your bank, then increase your handling time and that will likely keep you out of trouble with Ebay.

"...people have policies in place tailored to their schedules within reasonable parameters,..."  I assume people means sellers.  And you are correct, sellers can have some of their own policies however they must meet or exceed Ebay's policies.  A seller's policy does not trump Ebay's policy unless it exceeds the Ebay policy.

I do agree with you that your buyer on that latest negative seems a bit impatient for sure.  But as I explained earlier I don't think they understood what Business Days are.  The buyer didn't say anything about shipping in a day, they clearly noted 72 hours, so they were aware of your 3 day handling time, just likely not what Business days were.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Nam,

Thank you for sharing. I contacted the Facebook team concerning the older of the two negs. The attendant stated the neg would not be removed, BUT, that the excessive 40+ negs out of 40+ sales would be reported. To date, I have not seen any evidence of, what I think was referred to as the Risk team, being involved.

As to the recent neg, I am, today, taking your advice. Irrespective of the outcome, my position going forward is simply to roll with the situation of buyers being in the right, unless the aggravation becomes unacceptable. As I am strictly a liquidator of stock I have been unable to sell in my store, eCommerce's ability to reach the world is unparalleled for me.

As the old adage states, "One must take the bitter with the sweet."

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply