cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS refused to deliver a used FEDEX box?

How is this possible?

Are we living in a police state **bleep**????

And I can't get a refund from USPS either...

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

They're particular about what you package in.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

Wow!  That stinks, but on some levels I get it.  Any business wants their service identified and a shipping container that shows another's name could cause confusion.

I have seen it somewhere, but can't find it now...but there ARE USPS regulations that say if one is reusing a box, then need to paint over other labels, bar codes and markings from other shippers, manufacturers, etc.   I suspect it has something to do with the high speed scanning used at sorting centers - those readers could get "confused' by extraneous markings.

If I am going to reuse a box from another shipper, I just turn the box inside out and have a fresh clean face on the outside. 

Also I'll add that often when reusing an old box, I add layers to it to make it a double or triple-walled box, just in case the original box was weakened during prior shipping.  Turn the grains 90-degrees to each other for more strength!

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

fedex-box-usps-refuse.jpg

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

FEDEX probably won't deliver a USPS Priority mail box either.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

You would need to cover the FedEx up.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Yep!  That second picture shows what I'd consider a BIG No-No!

If you had painted over the FedEx info it would have gone just fine. 

Lesson learned for the future?

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

This is **bleep**.  Take it to the counter and ask for the Postmaster.

All that postal regs require is that old addresses must be obliterated.  Alcohol boxes must have the name obliterated, as well..

The postal worker may have mistaken it for Priority Flat Rate which requires USPS packaging.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

thanks for sharing,i buy those boxes from FedEx all the time that one is $2.50,not a flat rate and USPS is final delivery for FedEx smart post,i am surprised.
I think your package was intercepted by a retired bureaucrat that now works for USPS they probably have all the rules memorized but mess everything else up,i'm glad you shared i rarely use USPS but may very well have made the same mistake.
Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Whenever going to post office (only use when buyer has PO box) think of this painting,don't think of this painting when going to FedEx.

The name of the painting is "Government Bureau"

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:
thanks for sharing,i buy those boxes from FedEx all the time that one is $2.50,not a flat rate and USPS is final delivery for FedEx smart post,i am surprised.
I think your package was intercepted by a retired bureaucrat that now works for USPS they probably have all the rules memorized but mess everything else up,i'm glad you shared i rarely use USPS but may very well have made the same mistake.

Looks to me like this was a USPS Priority Mail shipment and not a SmartPost shipment!  So not sure how smartpost applies - am I missing something?

If you offered a service that you were proud of, would you want your item to carry the logo of a competitor on it when it reaches the consumer?   Clearly as shipped, it would be confusing to the recipient as to what service delivered the package.  THEN if a return was initialed, imagine the "mess" that would be created if the buyer tried to return the item through FedEx and not USPS.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Get a marker and cover over the Fed Ex.  Or get duct tape and cover it completely . Go to the post office and insist that they re-mail it again .  Tell them that they have no right to keep that fee that you paid to ship the item.     I would re-write the buyer's name and address on the side of the shipping label incase it got messed up if you pulled the note that USPS left.

Also notify the buyer and tell them what is going on.. If I recall correctly, the post office scans the box and a new postal label is put on that says 0 as the price

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

My point is USPS is quite accustomed to handling FedEx boxes and boxes with writing on them boxes i buy at target,walmart,uhaul (has the uhaul logo,all have writing and bar codes never had a problem.i thought he did a fine packing job.

Am very surprised it was a returnable problem.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

I once used a gray poly-bag to ship UPS...14lbs of soft clothing with the bag tightly packed and the size of a toaster oven...I was surcharge for not using a box. I called, they said you "should" use a box...WHAT? Is it should or is it MUST?

Order shipping supplies from UPS...drum roll....they arrive in a poly bag!

ZERO PRINTED RULES ABOUT USING A BOX/BAG AT UPS!
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:
THEN if a return was initialed, imagine the "mess" that would be created if the buyer tried to return the item through FedEx and not USPS.

Well, if the buyer tried to return it via FedEx for some reason, it wouldn't make it past the doorway, given the USPS shipping label on it.

While I can kind of see the USPS' argument for rejecting the box, it's still a bit of a stretch. I've received purchases via USPS in recycled UPS and FedEx boxes myself and no one batted an eye. 

One other thought: what's the first word on the third line of that note? Is it "Unaltered"? It may be someone's attempt to explain that you should cover the FedEx logos before shipping.

EDIT: Okay, after further squinting, I think it says "Material" there, as in FedEx or UPS "packing material" can not be sent through USPS. I would think that covering the logos should make it "generic" enough to be accepted. See if you can shmooze your post office into putting it through again without charging a second fee. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply