cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS phishing scam - need advice

This one is new to me: a buyer who I didn't really trust bought my cell phone, to be delivered to a cruise ship PO box in Texas.  After eBay paid me, I shipped the phone and figured I was safe. While it was in transit, I got an email, supposedly from USPS, saying there was a problem with the delivery address and offering a link. So I accessed what turned out to be a bogus USPS site, reentered the correct address, and then stupidly paid a service fee. So much for my credit card: there was an immediate charge to TikTok Ads for the exact amount paid for the phone, and then another charge for a bit more. I stopped the credit card and called the post office in Texas and told them to hold the package, which they did.

This is where I'm at a loss: even if the buyer is the same person who scammed my credit card, which seems all but certain, he appears to have actually bought the phone. Or is it still possible for the sale to fail, even though I've been paid? And if it's not possible, do I need to deliver the phone to a crook who stole from me? I'd prefer to recover the phone and void the sale, which may still be possible.

Ironically, I would have detected the site as bogus, except that most government websites look just as bad.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@garymxxxxxx 

Gotta admit, this is a doozy!

Okay -- first of all, you've been in touch with the correct post office in Texas, and the mailing is on hold, per your instructions.  Have that post office mail the package back to you, which will cost you an additional charge.

Now comes the sticky part:  your buyer may open up an "item not received" case against you, which you may wish to address on the eBay Feedback page, rather than on the eBay automated system.  A live eBay expert will no doubt be able to offer you far better support and suggestions, than a robotic process which does not comprehend esoteric shipping peculiarities. 

Since you have already shipped the item, I can't see how you can open up a request to cancel the order, due to problems with the buyer's address.  But, one way or the other, you will have to refund the buyer --  and probably add the buyer to your "blocked buyer's list."

Were you conducting all of this communication on a cell-phone, or on a lap-top or other computer?  Your system may also have been hacked, so you might wish to have that checked out, as well.

In future, probably not a great idea to ship items to a cruise ship P. O. box.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Good suggestions.  But I am still back at wondering how the OP discovered the address was a cruise ship PO box.  Was the address like Dave Somebody, Cruise Ship PO Box #? 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You broke the First rule.   If it doesn't come through Ebay messaging, you don't act on it.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Just recall the package and get it back. I would not issue a refund after getting the phone back. Just wait and see what happens.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

just wanted to add:

sellers need to review their buyer's status. Google map / satellite address and read all feedback categories. 

If your still not sure, pay the little extra coin for signature required. It's better than letting eBay favor the buyer automatically. 

I had at least 4 shipments that were returned last year because the buyer either refused to sign or was using an address that was probably unoccupied, but they were waiting to snag the package after delivery and would have probably taken it a step further to file a claim of some sort. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply