cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS new rule, only have to scan part of pick up

Mail lady just stop by, they had a meeting(rural couriers) and were told their only require to scan a few packages when they do a pick up. She was told she only had to scan 5 packages when she picks up, even if you have 20, and let the sorting center to scan the rest. You have to tell the courier, to their face to scan them all. You also can print off a bulk shipping when you put in the pick up(online), they'll scan the sheet but won't include anything you sold over night and pack the next morning.

Really bad because our sorting center in St. Louis only scans half the packages as it is. I have a feeling I'll be getting alot of "where's my package" emails, well more then I'm getting now.  I'm am lucky because I have a great mail lady, but her subs, won't be scanning them all.

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: USPS new rule, only have to scan part of pick up

@a_c_green wrote:

That does look very much like what they might have been trying to convey, except that they overlooked the key detail that Rule (b) only applies in this circumstance when the sender failed to arrange a pickup in advance or did not print a SCAN sheet (which is what Paragraph 9 is discussing). 

As worded, it's an either/or condition: either you arranged it in advance or you have a SCAN sheet. If either is true, they should scan all (though of course, if you have a SCAN sheet, they don't need to scan the individual packages as that would defeat the point of printing the SCAN sheet in the first place).

Honestly, I think that's perfectly fair. It's not fair to expect a carrier to have to stop and scan in ten packages that they weren't expecting to be picking up. They give you the option to schedule a pickup for a reason.

Message 46 of 81
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

That does look very much like what they might have been trying to convey, except that they overlooked the key detail that Rule (b) only applies in this circumstance when the sender failed to arrange a pickup in advance or did not print a SCAN sheet (which is what Paragraph 9 is discussing). 

As worded, it's an either/or condition: either you arranged it in advance or you have a SCAN sheet. If either is true, they should scan all (though of course, if you have a SCAN sheet, they don't need to scan the individual packages as that would defeat the point of printing the SCAN sheet in the first place).

Honestly, I think that's perfectly fair. It's not fair to expect a carrier to have to stop and scan in ten packages that they weren't expecting to be picking up. They give you the option to schedule a pickup for a reason.

Once Again.  This new rule ALSO AFFECTS THOSE OF US WHO SCHEDULE A PICKUP!!!!  

I schedule a pickup most every day & yet, my carrier texted me about this the other day.  It's a new scanner software update & whether or not you've ordered a pickup, it still applies! 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 47 of 81
latest reply

Yea probably April 1st lol, worse is when PO raises rates so do the others

Message 48 of 81
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

I schedule a pickup most every day & yet, my carrier texted me about this the other day.  It's a new scanner software update & whether or not you've ordered a pickup, it still applies! 

So then... why not just print the SCAN sheet? I don't understand the fuss. If I'm shipping more than 5 at a time over the counter I use a SCAN sheet so the clerks don't have to scan every package individually.

Message 49 of 81
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

So then... why not just print the SCAN sheet? I don't understand the fuss. If I'm shipping more than 5 at a time over the counter I use a SCAN sheet so the clerks don't have to scan every package individually.

Well, that's probably what we'll be forced to do, but I don't use MOS, so it's a PITA to learn a new system for something I've been doing for years & most days I don't have over 5, so I guess I'll be going back & forth.  Can't print a scan sheet without whatever they're calling MOS now, Bulk Labels, I believe.  It's certainly not insurmountable, but it's a huge PITA, it came with no warning & given the work Ebay does with the USPS, at first it seemed like it might just be some arbitrary thing they claim to be implementing, that is just a further impediment to those Ebay sellers they claim they value highly.   Now that I learned it's actually scanner software,  I think it's real & not arbitrary, but still a PITA & impediment.   Have I mentioned how much I hate the MOS label system?  But yeah, I guess we'll do what we have to do.  

The other issue is whether or not it works.  Been hearing all kinds of horror stories about people using scan sheets & not getting their initial acceptance scan.   

Still haven't heard a word from Nate's team, so I suspect they were caught by surprise too.   Being rated on the Acceptance scan, which we have almost no control over & then having yet more impediments introduced to getting an Acceptance scan, does NOT sit well with me.   That said, I only tend to have 5+ packages once a week, so I guess I'll use MOS once a week, if my carrier can't figure out a way around it.   

The issues of impediments around Acceptance Scans are one of the big things Nate's team works with the USPS on, b/c Ebay's system directly interfaces with the USPS system, so I'd certainly expect to hear something from them soon!  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 50 of 81
latest reply

Yeah, you do need to use the Bulk Labels to print one, but fortunately once you know how to do it it really isn't that complicated, and I have to say that I've never not had things get an acceptance scan after using a SCAN sheet, although that might also depend on your local PO/sort center. I don't tend to have to use them often - it's rare that I'm shipping more than 5 in one trip - but I can absolutely understand why they want sellers to use them when they have a lot of packages because it does add up when you're scanning 10-12 things in one go. To me it's just a courtesy to the clerk/carrier.

Message 51 of 81
latest reply

My local post office just said it was a new policy of there's to only scan 5 packages from each person.    I noticed the person telling me this had a cell phone, so I informed them the child slave labor in the Congo that mines the minerals needed to make that phone complain less about working 18 hour days than you do about scanning 5 packages which takes a few seconds. 

The US post office is a bunch of lazy overpaid unqualified bums.  

I had to finally start using scan sheets because of this.   

Message 52 of 81
latest reply

Because if you use ebay's system their scan sheet and the system to produce it is the worst of any website in history.   I don't understand why if I want to print 1 label at a time per package that I pack that I can't print a scan sheet after.   I have to use the bulk shipper and do everything at once in order to make a scan sheet which isn't the way I want to do things.

Now I have to use Sixbit and their pick sheets so I know the name of the buyer so I can match the right label to it.   SO much easier printing one label at a time, but for some reason, ebay will not provide a scan sheet if you do this. 

Message 53 of 81
latest reply

714ricki, 

How do I print off scan sheets?

Message 54 of 81
latest reply

@tenoem wrote:

Because if you use ebay's system their scan sheet and the system to produce it is the worst of any website in history.   I don't understand why if I want to print 1 label at a time per package that I pack that I can't print a scan sheet after.   I have to use the bulk shipper and do everything at once in order to make a scan sheet which isn't the way I want to do things.

Now I have to use Sixbit and their pick sheets so I know the name of the buyer so I can match the right label to it.   SO much easier printing one label at a time, but for some reason, ebay will not provide a scan sheet if you do this. 

Thanks for posting.  I have SB too, but I'm pretty new to it.  I'm not sure what the 'pick sheet' is?  Is it a scan sheet?  Will SB let you a scan sheet?   I currently do not use SB for labels, but I certainly can, if it will make my life easier.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 55 of 81
latest reply

There are now 3 or 4 threads on this, so I posted an update to Jasmen at Ebay in my thread, to see if she's heard anything from Nate.   Here's what I learned this AM from my carrier: 

For an update, I spoke to my carrier this AM & I found out a few things.   As I already mentioned, this is SOFTWARE on their scanner.  It physically won't let them scan more than 5 items (he showed me).  He also showed me that right now, he has a workaround, BUT it goes live on the 26th & at that time, he predicts the workaround may go away, as there's no need for a redundant system.   

I also learned that it is rural routes this affects & this is part of like a survey they do of their routes, which was already delayed by 2 years due to COVID.  It is currently scheduled to go into effect on 3/26, but he cautioned me that stuff changes all the time.  

I was STUNNED to learn that my route is a rural route, b/c it's anything but rural!  It hasn't been rural for over 20+ years.  I live in a new subdivision of 1000 homes, surrounded by subdivisions, in a city of around 750K people.   There is absolutely nothing rural about my area, but apparently it is considered a rural route.  So, beware, you may not think you live on a rural route, b/c there's nothing rural about your area & the USPS may feel differently.  Turns  out 1/2 my city is a rural route & those area have not been rural for 20+ years, so that was a real shocker. 

So hopefully Nate can work his magic with the powers-that-be at the USPS to prevent more USPS impediments to getting an Acceptance scan?   Also, maybe there's something in the works to be able to print a scan sheet without having to use Bulk Labels?  It's clunky, clumsy, ugly & I don't want to print all my labels at once.   Apparently that's a common sentiment, as indicated in this thread.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 56 of 81
latest reply

A Pick Sheet is a sheet printed by Sixbit that tells you the Name, location, item id, product id, order id, quantity, etc of each item.   If you use warehouses or storage units to hold your inventory, you use this to go pick the items when you sell them.   Then when you're packing the items and shipping them, the pick list tells you the buyers name for each item so it makes it far easier for you to match the proper label to the proper package if you're using ebay's bulk shipper to print scan sheets.

I don't know if Sixbit prints scan sheets because I print mine through ebay, but I found that printing an Pick list (different from a scan sheet) on sixbit helps me greatly by telling me the right buyer name for each package. 

I attached a portion of the one i just printed to get pick my items so you can see what information is included on a pick sheet.  ScreenHunter_466 Mar. 04 14.50.jpg

Message 57 of 81
latest reply

@tenoem 

Thank you for that.  I'll play around with it.   That's probably way more info than I need, since I don't sell multiples & I store everything in date order.   But I'll check it out.   I've usually just written the person's name or zip code on the pkg when I've done multiples at once.  I rarely have more than 5 pkgs & when I do, it's 7 or 8, not an unwieldly number, but hey, maybe there's a way to print a scan sheet on SB, I'll see if I can find one.   Thanks for giving me the idea! 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 58 of 81
latest reply

For an update, I spoke to my carrier this AM & I found out a few things.   As I already mentioned, this is SOFTWARE on their scanner.  It physically won't let them scan more than 5 items (he showed me).

I've been trying to follow the whole discussion but I may have missed this detail, so please bear with me: does that 5-items-or-less limit apply to any roadside pickup, or only those that were not scheduled in advance?

Message 59 of 81
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

For an update, I spoke to my carrier this AM & I found out a few things.   As I already mentioned, this is SOFTWARE on their scanner.  It physically won't let them scan more than 5 items (he showed me).

I've been trying to follow the whole discussion but I may have missed this detail, so please bear with me: does that 5-items-or-less limit apply to any roadside pickup, or only those that were not scheduled in advance?

@a_c_green 

ANY.  I do & have always scheduled my pickups.   It's actual software on their scanner.   After the 5th pkg, it gives a failure beep (like on a game show lol).  

Also, "roadside" is a misnomer, as I learned today that half of my city of almost 1M is a rural route.  There is no roadside in my case, I'm in 1000 home subdivision.   I was SHOCKED to learn that my route is a "rural route" b/c there's nothing rural about it. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 60 of 81
latest reply