cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS mistakes, Seller faults

I am just putting this out there so it will be known as a possibility.

I shipped an item on the 8th of August and the scanning did not go well from the start.  My local PO failed to scan it, did not scan at my regional, and then it got hinky.  The package was going from MO to CA, but the next scan was in Baltimore, MD.  Sigh.  This happens, we have all been there.  Tempted to throw maps at USPS drivers.  Whatever, this is just a regular aggravation.

Now, it gets stranger.  USPS sent it further into MD.  Then the tracking ceased. On the 18th, I had enough.  I messaged the buyer, told them I was sorry USPS lost their item. It will probably show up eventually, but I was refunding them now, because no one should have to wait 10 days for an item with no explanation.  I refunded the buyer and opened an inquiry with USPS.  

On the 23rd I got a message from USPS claiming that the item was still being prepared for shipping by the original sender.  I saw RED.  It took me a couple of days to respond and I still was unable to be kind.  However, it got my package to my buyer soon after.  The buyer even left me nice feedback and offered to pay (no way was I doing that).

eBay dinged me for late delivery and denied (without reading my reason) my appeal.  After reading the policy yesterday, it read to me like sellers will now be dinged any time that USPS delivers late. I heard from another reseller we have been getting dinged for USPS failures to scan, too. (like if there is no acceptance or regional scan, we did it wrong.)

I am considering dropping my top rated to accomodate longer shipping times due to lack of scans.  Has anyone done this?  

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: USPS mistakes, Seller faults

Usually, as long as I use the bin inside, I am okay.  My shipping time is one day instead of same day so that if it doesn't scan at my local PO, the regional hub scans in time.  The outside boxes though, are no longer being emptied on the schedule posted.

USPS has often told me that they do not have to scan.  Most of my local postal workers are like a rotating door.  

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

This was not our post office, just the post office closest to our office.

I stopped going there the first time they did this, but I doubt they would care about dings and such.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Pushing out your handling time will do nothing for this type of situation.  Ebay calculates the late shipment rate based off of when the label is created.  So even with a longer handling time, once you print that label, if there are no carrier scans then you will still get a ding.  The only way to solve this is to get it scanned when you drop it off.  I live in Missouri as well, Wentzville to be exact.  Our PO has a kiosk that allows us to check in all of our packages and get a receipt and then drop them in the box.  If yours does not have one of these then I would stand in line and check them in to avoid this type of thing.  

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I have noticed that, when I am able to put an item into my own mailbox for my carrier to pick up, the mail carrier scans the item right away.  The scan even says Picked Up by Carrier, or words to that effect.   Of course, I can't always do that because of the size of the outgoing package.  

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

They wont scan the packages at my local post office locations, they literally refuse, and I can't force them too. Waiting in line makes no difference.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Find a PO location that has a self service kiosk, then you can scan the items in the moment you drop them off. All my scans from the kiosk show up as an acceptance scan on tracking, showing USPS is in possession of item.

I also wouldn't be so quick to refund buyers over late deliveries. The delivery estimates are just that, estimates, not guaranteed delivery dates. USPS does not provide guaranteed delivery dates for anything other than priority express. ebay just likes to lie to buyers incessantly with garbage delivery estimates.

You stated, "No one should have to wait 10 days for an item." Yes, they should, you aren't the postal service.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply