cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS denies damaged item claim

I sold a glass platter that was destroyed during shipment.  Buyer was cooperative and took pics and presented evidence at Post Office. Sent me pics, etc. All steps were followed according to protocol. I patiently waited for my $37 refund. After 30 days I finally got a decision posted on my USPS account: "Denied - Customer response timeframe exceeded". I clicked on the appeal button and got the following message: 

"Are you sure you want to start an appeal?
We mailed your claims letter of explanation and it should arrive at your address within 7-10 business days. Your letter provides details on the current status of your claim and your options moving forward. Please review your letter before start an appeal. If you file an appeal before reviewing your letter, the appeal may be denied based on insufficient information.

What? My customer and I jumped through all the hoops in a timely manner. 

I'll take a look at the letter but I doubt I will take any further action. My takeaway is that this "insurance" is just false assurance. Won't count on the insurance in the future but will exercise bomb proof packaging. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't give up til I saw what the letter said..........

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

What kind of safe packing steps did you take?

Just when you think you have packed enough, add some more, 

Any fragile, glass, or handle with care labels on box?

In the pics the buyer sent you, was there USPS tape marking package was damaged in transit? Was the box beat up or was the platter just broken? Could the buyer possibly be trying to replace their broken piece with yours?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks. Yeah, I guess it's not over yet but I have lost hope. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Insurance covers two things – lost packages and only the most egregious of USPS handling issues. The former is pretty easy to demonstrate – the latter is very difficult.

you take a risk when you sell and ship a glass platter. And I would guess that such an inexpensive platter has a margin that would make dramatic overpacking significantly eat into your margin.  A broken item and a disappointed buyer are risks that you take.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Insurance claims are difficult.  I feel your pain.

That being said, how did you pack your item?

-Good luck and don't give up

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Did you double box the platter? That would be the first thing the p.o. would want for safe shipping.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Not false but fraudulent. Welcome to the club...they absolutely do not honor their insurance that they offer. I wouldn't even bother. I had a package that apparently was in a truck that caught on fire. No response from USPS. I found the information out by accident. I refunded the buyer...luckily I had little money into it. Lost package was neven even acknowledged as lost by USPS. They just ignored me.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Rarely do they pay for glass breakage.  You need to double box fragile items and have  enough bubble wrap and padding surrounding the item and between the boxes so that you could throw it down a flight of stairs and it lands  without breaking. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You also have to make sure it can survive a heavy package being dropped onto it. The packages move along conveyor belts on massive sorting machines, then get dropped into carts, other conveyor belts etc. If it's a cart, the following item lands on top. That's where double boxing is your friend.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply