cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Shoe boxes and packing

If anyone uses the USPS Priority Mail shoe boxes to ship shoes, do you use any additional packing for the shoes? I only use these boxes when I don't have a shoebox to ship in  (then I double box) so I'm wondering what other packaging can I use to help protect the shoes rather than just putting the shoes in the box and shipping. I have never had a problem with doing this until just recently as the buyer received with a hole in the box and a very damaged box. I don't think there was actually damage to the shoes but in the future I would like to put the shoes in something to help protect them if this would happen again. These boxes aren't big enough to double box so double boxing is not an option. Just wondering what others did when they used these boxes.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

oe are you can predict what might happen to a box... you ship it with the idea that it is protected and is going to your mother...how would you send something to her?

but a original shoe box is think, so if USPS are thicker..then better....if the shoes are expensive and you don't want to lose...a box in a box with wrapping ..whatever it takes...there are many different size of boxes....so depends.

but most all movement is done by machines..so who knows what might get stuck in machine..and crushed on trucks and air.... the box ..either one or two..just needs to be strong as strong as YOU feel its worth... plastic bag around is good..as things do get wet also..so that may protect....bubble wrap ..maybe...it limits movement and protects from wetness too..

and all this goes for all thing , not just shoes..

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Bubble wrap.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

2nd the bubble wrap - for new shoes where the bag has been crushed or used shoes that need a little more protection - I use the USPS show boxes and bubble wrap the shoes. For sneakers and shoes without heels - I use a flat rate bubble mailer if they'll fit in it, Never have had a complaint.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't "sell shoes" but I have sold shoes. I wrap each shoe in white tissue paper, then put them in a plastic bag. I put them in a box with enough bubble wrap to fill any voids completely. It's the voids - the empty spaces in the box - that cause crushing. Doesn't have to be bubble wrap, clean crumpled paper works just as well, only it's heavier so it adds weight to the box and you really have to pack it in.   When you're done the shoes (or whatever you happen to be selling) should not be able to move around in the box at all.

I would not use a USPS shoe box for expensive shoes, though. I'd find a sturdier box. Those things are pretty flimsy.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I would never place shoes (or anything) in the shipping box loose where they can bounce around.  I use various forms of packing materials to secure and protect.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@fragmented_soles,

I do not sell shoes, but do use the USPS shoe box. They can be a bit weak if there's an excess of room inside the box. Since many things I sell can be adversely affected by moisture I wrap those items in plastic store bags just in case, especially now that winter is almost upon us.  In the case of shoes, I'd wrap each individually, and add a layer of something between them so the heels or adornments do not rub on or catch the other one.

When I have worries about box strength, be it an original box, or an outer box. Sometimes I'll add cardboard from a stronger box to strengthen them. Sometimes I make up my own full outer sleeve, other times a 3 sided sleeve works either in or outside of a box.  One other thing I found that works is large tyvek envelopes as an outer wrap.  They cut down on possible punctures, are waterproof, and tape adheres to them like glue. I'll cut the envelopes apart if need be and use them like wrapping paper. I do tape up any folds or seams.  I found several sellers for those on ebay who have great prices.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply