cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S.P.S POSTAL EMPLOYEES REFUSING 15.9 OZ. COMMERCIAL POSTAGE

I knew they.  Use not to offer this service. So I did all I could to not make seen. The same darn girls done took  over 100 or more of them.  Now gonna get a late mailing rate on e bay.   For postal girls not knowing their Job. I called the U.S.P.S Customer care told them to inform my post office. Notice 123 Postal explorer on pages 37 and 38 of 151. On the U.S.P.S Web Site. Allows 15.9 Oz. First Class. Parcel not over 84 Sq. inches.  I hope the postmaster will get them straight. Get her off the 13 oz. first class only.  Because I got 3 more for her tomorrow.  Just had to vent about this. hope all in the Community the best. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: U.S.P.S POSTAL EMPLOYEES REFUSING 15.9 OZ. COMMERCIAL POSTAGE

13.1 oz. to 15.9 oz. are online only rates for first class. Have you been paying these rates at the counter? Your post is a bit confusing.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Personally, I'd have a conversation with the manager/postmaster of the local PO that you run your packages through, if their counter staff is too poorly-trained to recognize perfectly acceptable US Mail. If they scan a prepaid label and weigh the item properly, their screens should certainly tell them the package is good-to-go.

If you printed the label online they should take it I would go back tomorrow and speak with your postmaster. I would also call ebay to document the issue to the handling time can be adjusted. If you were trying to pay in person you might be out of luck as the instore rates and weights are different. If you can not purchase and print online labels you may have to ship using priority mail. I regularly sell items with USPS FCP with weights between 15 to 16 ounces and have no issues printing online and handing them off at my local post offices counter. So if purchased online it is probably a new clerk who just is not aware of the issue. Speaking with your post master should clear up the issue on their end. Then get their name and number incase ebay needs to call and verify the issue to fix your handle time. When you call them speak with the sales dept. as they are the ones who can review and fix handle time and be aware it can take up to a month before it gets corrected as only a few people work on making the changes after they get approved.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@lovett-1000 wrote: .... Notice 123 Postal explorer on pages 37 and 38 of 151. On the U.S.P.S Web Site. Allows 15.9 Oz. First Class. Parcel not over 84 Sq. inches.  I hope the postmaster will get them straight. ... 

I hope the Postmaster straightens them out, too.  Online postage for First Class packages has allowed weights up to 15.999 ounces for over three years!

An additional resource (in case you need it) is the Domestic Mail Manual, which points out the weight limit (section 8.3.1) and also the dimensional limits (section 8.3.2), which are larger than what you mentioned: "does not exceed 22 inches in length, or 18 inches in width, or 15 inches in thickness."

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097318

Finally, in case you need his help, eBay has a staff member who was specifically assigned (3 years ago!) to work with local Post Offices that were having trouble keeping up with this new weight policy. If you need his help, send him a message with details like which PO it was, and if possible the name of the staff member or the date and time: @ship_like_a_pro 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This is 2019.  I'd bet those "postal girls" are actually grown women.  Or are there "postal boys" too.  Sorry, just a pet peeve from years of trying to be accepted when I was a young woman with brains and not just looks.

As others have said, you need to speak with your local post master.  This is NOT a new rule and those working at the counter should know that.

If that doesn't work, go to USPS.com and email in a complaint.  The website is really good at working out all kinds of issues in my experience.  And quickly too.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

This is 2019.  I'd bet those "postal girls" are actually grown women.  Or are there "postal boys" too.  Sorry, just a pet peeve from years of trying to be accepted when I was a young woman with brains and not just looks.

Thanks for that - between being called "girls" and "ladies" it's like our actual womanhood has been cancelled. Or maybe 'women' are too scary lol.

I would simply show the postal employees the commercial base shipping grid for first class, or speak directly to a supervisor. There's a training failure here.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks to all that responded to my post.  Recent and now the new issue after the lady has been corrected. She did accept and apologize.  But since scales do dot have the 1000th weight on then. But calibrated to the 10th. Issue is she say it should only weight 15.9 Oz. I say 15.999 is 1 b. - 1/1000. So my one lb exact should be accepted.  Not me having to change all my listings to say 15.9 ounces instead of 1 lb.  I know a 1/10th of a ounce is not much. But if I mail the 1/10 short of what I say.  For sure a buyer will complain about me being 1/10th oz. short.  I know the postal service will honor the 1 lb. mail wt. But getting the worker to understand and accept.  Has been a task I  did not need. I say why should I have to sacrifice .09 ounce. And look like I am wrong over the 1 lb. exact wt. Not have to mail the 15.9 like label says. When the label should say 15.999.  Or the 16 Oz. or 1 lb. Like was intended by the U.S.P.S when the say 15.999.  And most all the scales are calibrated to the 1/10th not the 1/1000th. Just like when I was a kid. I looked to the gas price on big sign. It said 39.9 Cent per Gallon for gas. I ask my mother what was the .9. She said its 9/10th of a penny.  I wish all ya'll the very best with kindness of thoughts.  I will let all know when they get the 1 lb. correct.  They have accepted 4 on the money correct at 1 lb. since I made this post.  And one at the 15.9 because the lady can not get it straight in her mind yet. Or she is going to call and ask if the 1 lb. exact she can accept.  I they tell her soon because it is a hassle to think because of 1/1000 of a ounce. I will have to change lots of listings. I want to give my buyers what they pay for. The one pound listings with the postal discount is important to me. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That's an awfully lot of rounding and hoping.  If my package hits the 1 pound mark, I start trimming flaps.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

She has no business weighing packages with online labels in the first place. When USPS initiated the APV system, they declared that counter clerks and carriers were no longer responsible for enforcing correct postage.

https://link.usps.com/2017/10/05/what-is-apv/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I do the same thing -- I will make sure it comes under the .00 mark, usually to the .9 mark to make sure that it is under!!  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply