cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Sellers should get a A LOT more discount on selling fees

I have 100% positive feedback and am a Top Rated Seller . But I get no meaningful discount on the hefty fees ebay charges. I am far lower risk than the typical ebay seller. I also resolve issues on my own without needing to involve ebay support. But still I pay basically the same fees as everyone else. There is a tiny discount if I chose 1-day shipping and handling. But that is very hard for me since this is a side business outside my day job. So the tiny savings aren't worth the hassle.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Top Rated Sellers should get a A LOT more discount on selling fees

Surprised by all the ebay apologist responses.  TRS is not just doing what you are supposed to be doing. That logic would make sense if Ebay required everyone to be TRS.  Fact is almost anyone can sell their junk on ebay. Just look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. 95+% of sellers there are greedy and delusional . Those same folks sell on ebay and drive up the fees because of their high dispute rates. 

Now it is possible the fees are high due to something else. I suppose bad sellers will burn themselves in the foot with Ebays money back guarantee. 

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

According to you people with high credit scores should be treated by lenders the same as those with low credit scores?

TRS is like a high credit score. My guess is less than 20% of Ebay sellers are TRS. Hence, there should be some reward for this by lower fees. My understanding is a big part of the fees are because of fraud and deceitful practices by greedy sellers. 

It doesn't take much to be a TRS.

Lending people money is a lot different then selling on Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 32 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

TRS is not just doing what you are supposed to be doing.

What makes a TRS different then a seller that isn't a TRS?

Have a great day
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

Lending money is the same principle as selling on ebay. Ebay is an escrow for your funds to make sure both parties are safe. They are performing a service that is basically the world's second oldest profession.

Hence why I feel sellers with high levels of honesty deserve much lower fees than the rest. If all sellers are already honest then why are the fees so high?

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

Lending money is the same principle as selling on ebay. Ebay is an escrow for your funds to make sure both parties are safe. They are performing a service that is basically the world's second oldest profession.

Hence why I feel sellers with high levels of honesty deserve much lower fees than the rest. If all sellers are already honest then why are the fees so high?

Just being a TRS doesn't make you any more honest then any other seller.

I've seen TRS sellers with thousands of negative feedback.

Apparently their buyers were not very happy, do they deserve cheaper fee's?

TRS is something Ebay gives you and I bet a lot of buyers don't even pay any attention to it, they look at sellers feedback, received and given.

Have a great day
Message 35 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

According to you people with high credit scores should be treated by lenders the same as those with low credit scores?

TRS is like a high credit score. My guess is less than 20% of Ebay sellers are TRS. Hence, there should be some reward for this by lower fees. My understanding is a big part of the fees are because of fraud and deceitful practices by greedy sellers. 

NO the Top Rated status has nothing to do with "credit scores" or anything like it.  It has to do with number of transactions sold, customer service and all the other stats that Ebay tracks us on that you can see in your Seller Dashboard.  Credit is not among the stats.

https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard?region=US

Rewards on Ebay are NOT always shown in lower fees.

"My understanding is a big part of the fees are because of fraud and deceitful practices by greedy sellers."  And where did you get that information?  Please share it.  Links are best.  Or are you just assuming this to be true.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 36 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

Surprised by all the ebay apologist responses.  TRS is not just doing what you are supposed to be doing. That logic would make sense if Ebay required everyone to be TRS.  Fact is almost anyone can sell their junk on ebay. Just look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. 95+% of sellers there are greedy and delusional . Those same folks sell on ebay and drive up the fees because of their high dispute rates. 

Now it is possible the fees are high due to something else. I suppose bad sellers will burn themselves in the foot with Ebays money back guarantee. 

I must have missed something.  I did not read any posts where anyone Apologized for Ebay in any way.  Are you considering those that may not agree with you to be "apologist"?  If so why?  Is your opinion the only opinion acceptable to you?

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

A credit score evaluates how much of a risk a person is to the bank. In similar fashion the metrics for TRS also correlate to how risky a seller is to ebay.  Folks who provide a top notch customer experience are the reason people keep using this site.

Ebay has a horrible reputation  among average Joes who think every seller is out to cheat them.  So not only is TRS or some similar metric low risk for Ebay, it also means they provide repeat business that Ebay needs to thrive.

But I know you are an Ebay apologist and will bark back that I don't know what I am talking about..

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

As the famous Jayne Cobb once said, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak." (Ponder the meaning of that phrase!)

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

A credit score evaluates how much of a risk a person is to the bank. In similar fashion the metrics for TRS also correlate to how risky a seller is to ebay.  Folks who provide a top notch customer experience are the reason people keep using this site.

Ebay has a horrible reputation  among average Joes who think every seller is out to cheat them.  So not only is TRS or some similar metric low risk for Ebay, it also means they provide repeat business that Ebay needs to thrive.

But I know you are an Ebay apologist and will bark back that I don't know what I am talking about..

I would say that is an incorrect opinion.  There are some buyers that certainly feel that way but there are more that don't.  Otherwise this site would have folded a very long time ago.

I've made NO apologies for Ebay.  There is no reason to apologize for Ebay.  You want a program on Ebay to work differently than it does.  Your opinion is that it means something that should be more highly rewarded.  I get all that.  It however is simply not how Ebay currently handles the program.  It isn't any more complicated than that.

If you prefer, I can tell you what you want to hear, however there would be no truth to it.  For whatever reason you feel compelled to be rude to those that don't agree with you.  That says much more about you than anything else.

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

Of course I am aware of how Ebay currently handles the program. Are you saying  it is perfect the way it is and nobody can question it? That is my impression of your responses, hence, the term "Ebay apologist"..

In addition to banks and credit cards, insurance companies also provide meaningful discounts to "low-risk" clients. So what I am proposing is nothing unheard of.

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

@thisisall1word wrote:

Of course I am aware of how Ebay currently handles the program. Are you saying  it is perfect the way it is and nobody can question it? That is my impression of your responses, hence, the term "Ebay apologist"..

In addition to banks and credit cards, insurance companies also provide meaningful discounts to "low-risk" clients. So what I am proposing is nothing unheard of.

Are you just looking for someone to be disagreeable with?  Your impressions of my responses would be completely incorrect.  There does not appear to be a way to have a civic conversations, so I'll leave you to it.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

"Don't make no ruttin' sense"

Message 43 of 43
latest reply