cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's Chat: My question related to buyer cancelling while item in transit

Someone please explain this to me: I receive a cancellation request from the buyer and not within the hour limit, I have shipped it since ebay almost demands we ship immediately. I can't file with the PO to retrieve it (costs me 7-11 to do it IF they can retrieve it I think). It is gone, on its way. My question on the Chat had to do with who pays? How do I handle? The buyer had no qualms with they read my listing after the fact and had a problem, they just decided to probably buy something cheaper which is what is happening  alot around here. So here is the reply I received which I can't reply back to since the Chat is closed:

Hi @abfabvintage - if you have already shipped the item and aren't able to retrieve it, then our suggestion would be for the buyer to return it when they receive it. The determination for who pays return shipping goes by the reason for the return. For example, if your buyer requested the cancellation because they noticed a contradiction in your listing, then you would need to pay for the return. If they requested a cancellation because they changed their mind about the purchase, then return shipping costs would be your decision or based on your return policy. Thanks!

So now I have to deal with the buyer and beg them to not file a SNAD, file a remorse? And they are responsible for shipping cost back and, in my thinking, reimburse me for my shipping to them as no fault of my own. AND the return Metric goes against me if they decide on SNAD to not have to pay the return?. OR...am I reading this wrong? 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abfabvintage, if you feel this veers too far off from your original topic and are uncomfortable with that just say so and we can take this discussion to a new thread.

In response to @mam98031

The situation outlined in the OP is a clear case of buyer's remorse. In this case the buyer specifically requested to cancel. Therefore I see no issue with having the buyer refuse the package and putting it through as a buyer cancel. It would also be fine to have the buyer put it through as a remorse return, but it's not necessary since they already requested to cancel.

Moving on to the topic you presented in the chat with staff, I am of two minds about it. I will speak to how I personally view things and to be clear, I am not offering advice to anyone else on what to do if they encounter this situation.

My assumption is that your posts in the chat were regarding SNAD claims through messaging, not remorse because remorse doesn't affect metrics unless incorrectly filed.

I take these on a case-by-case basis. For example, if an item was run through by the carrier's forklift & the buyer sent a photo to confirm, this is not a buyer trying to stay off the radar. They've already faced disappointment when they received a destroyed item, so there's no need to make them do extra work filing a return. I would likely put it through as a cancel and immediate refund.

If it's a case where the fault is clearly mine - maybe I missed something in the description - then I would probably gauge my actions based on the buyer. If the buyer seemed upset and easily excitable or put out I may do a cancel to make it easier on them and try to retain them as a future eBay customer. If the buyer is pretty easy going, seems like they wouldn't mind a few clicks to open a return, then I'd probably tell them to go through the returns process - yes, even though it affects my metrics.

If a buyer is making a claim where I question if they may be trying to stay off the radar of filing too many MBG claims, then I would definitely advise them to go through the returns process.

Even though there are some cases where I think it's okay to put it through as a cancel to make it easy on the buyer and as an added bonus avoid a hit to my metrics, I would never advise others to use the system's loophole on a public forum - not even in the name of good customer service. I personally would be very selective about using the buyer requested cancel option, but I can't say what others will do. For instance, you may be selective, but another user could read that kind of advice and decide it's the way to handle all SNAD claims when they have a heads up from the buyer through messages.

Look at all of the sellers who gamed the system by doing straight refunds in PayPal to avoid defects - eBay changed the rules to make PayPal refunds trigger defects. Then sellers gamed the system by refunding all but a penny or all but a dollar, and the system tightened up on that behavior. If too many sellers abuse the loophole to cancel instead of going through the formal returns process this is going to eliminate the option in the future.

I try to look at the bigger picture - not just how it will affect my account and metrics now, but how it could affect future policy which may have a more long-term affect on my account. Learn from the past. Some of these changes have make it more difficult to provide the no-hassle customer service resolutions we would like, and the more things change the more we're restricted. I don't want to play an active part in creating a need for that kind of change. In very specific situations I may toe the line to support buyer retention, but I am very careful when it comes to crossing the line.

A different topic that's similar in nature is sellers who file stock out cancels as buyer-requested. Too many people are gaming the system and I will not be the least bit surprised if eBay tightens up a whole lot in that area.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

you as seller are the one who approves the cancellation. I would say to buyer: sorry, can't cancel. already shipped.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I get that when the "buyer requested cancellation" comes across my desk. But then...I have to deal with getting my item back and the costs related. And I open myself up to a buyer who doesnt want to pay to return and will, believe me, claim SNAD in order to not pay the return shipping and all of this not the seller fault.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

How did you ship the item?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The buyer can open a remorse return request and mark the package "refused - return to sender" and not have to pay return shipping fees.

FYI- If it's first class or priority then there's no return fee. If it's media or parcel then it will arrive postage due when it's returned.

Technically speaking the buyer would lose their buyer protection for refusing the package, but if you confirm the buyer should refuse the package through eBay messages and the return is filed with eBay then a CS rep should uphold buyer protection if the seller flakes.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous

Thanks Bigger. Good Information. It would only be FCP through USPS or Priority USPS which is the only ship I use. My concern is having a buyer document anything within ebay messaging when I was told on another Chat by a Blue a few weeks ago that they do not consider the ebay messaging as documentation to help overturn what a Buyer claims re: SNAD versus Remorse.  

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

If that's not bad enough... the buyer wanting to cancel and buy a "cheaper" one is likely due to one of ebay's post-sale "we found one cheaper!" emails.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@hioctane62

You are more than spot on!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Thats whats called the GOTCHA sucker ebay email and if you ask anyone about what just happened all they'll do is Sgt. Schultz you and forward your concern to the team....

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abfabvintage wrote:

@Anonymous

Thanks Bigger. Good Information. It would only be FCP through USPS or Priority USPS which is the only ship I use. My concern is having a buyer document anything within ebay messaging when I was told on another Chat by a Blue a few weeks ago that they do not consider the ebay messaging as documentation to help overturn what a Buyer claims re: SNAD versus Remorse.  

Very different situation, you're comparing apples to oranges.

But it doesn't actually matter because you would never flake on the refund once the package was returned, right? So there would be no need for a CS rep to review messages in the first place.

A few months ago a buyer requested a cancellation the day after I shipped. I instructed the buyer to refuse the package, which they did, and I refunded as a buyer cancel. I didn't even bother the buyer with opening a return request since they had already asked to cancel. And it was a "free shipping" listing so I would have been out the original shipping anyway.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Thank you. Trying to make sense of it all. I have never seen any comments related to this subject i.e., what if I have shipped and buyer does cancel while en route and cancelled not due to seller. Thank you for your advice. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Read the last post of today's chat - #73, I think.  A poster had asked a question and it sort of dove-tails with your situation - regarding advising on a return.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@abfabvintage wrote:

@Anonymous

Very different situation, you're comparing apples to oranges.

But it doesn't actually matter because you would never flake on the refund once the package was returned, right? So there would be no need for a CS rep to review messages in the first place.

A few months ago a buyer requested a cancellation the day after I shipped. I instructed the buyer to refuse the package, which they did, and I refunded as a buyer cancel. I didn't even bother the buyer with opening a return request since they had already asked to cancel. And it was a "free shipping" listing so I would have been out the original shipping anyway.

@Anonymous

We are kindered soles.  I so agree with you, but apparently Ebay does not agree with us.  If you get a chance, go read the Weekly Chat from this week.  I posted some questions that got some responses from the CSR team that greatly concern me.  

I hope you find time to go read the thread and then come back with your opinion as I would really like to hear your take on the subject.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Read the last post of today's chat - #73, I think.  A poster had asked a question and it sort of dove-tails with your situation - regarding advising on a return.

YEP, that would be me.  This all rolled in to one of my person hot button issues that I am having a hard time keeping my opinions to myself.  I really respect the CSR team from the Weekly Chat, I sincerely do, but I do not like their answer on this subject, not one little bit.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 18
latest reply