cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought you guys would enjoy this...

I just had a buyer open an INR case for an item that was clearly marked delivered. They requested that I send them a new item on my dime OR issue a full refund. 

Thank you buyer, for opening the one open-and-shut case for sellers on eBay by assuming we're able to deliver Nordstrom-level customer service.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Marked delivered but did they receive it? It may have been left in someone else's mailbox.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Marked delivered but did they receive it? It may have been left in someone else's mailbox.

The buyer should be directed to call their post office, provide the tracking number, and have the postmaster find out where there item is then.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Just my opinion but for what we are all paying the usps for shipping now....they should start becoming a little more accountable.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

It is not unreasonable for a buyer to expect to get what they paid for. Sellers only recently got coverage for this. eBay and the post office know that parcels are misdelivered. For my first 15 years on eBay I believe sellers could be forced to pay out even if items showed delivered.

Help your buyer talk to their local po to find out where it was delivered. I had this happen over Christmas and we found it. My buyer was happy.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Put yourself in your buyers shoes. You buy something and never get it. The seller says too bad, it shows delivered. How would you feel?

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

So how do you hold USPS accountable if the item is stolen from the guy's mailbox or porch??  Do you think UPS and FedEx should also be held accountable because someone claims they didn't receive a package they show delivered??  

In my entire life of catalog and online shopping I have never not received a package.  In my entire 18 plus years and over 8000 transactions on ebay - I have only had two INR claims and one of those was lost according to the tracking and was covered by postal insurance.  

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Put yourself in your buyers shoes. You buy something and never get it. The seller says too bad, it shows delivered. How would you feel?

Well if tracking showed it was delivered - I wouldn't be blaming the seller.  Since usually a date and time of delivery is included in the tracking, I would figure out if I was home or not.  And I would check with my neighbors and then contact the carrier.  Delivering items to the wrong address is a rare occurrence especially by drivers that routinely service the same area.  

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

I didn’t say they should blame the seller although there is the fake delivery scam out there.

I’m just saying a sympathetic human being would try to help a disappointed customer. It’s free to be sympathetic and help people.

Ive had probably 10 go astray as buyer and seller. It’s not unknown. I’ve also had other people’s mail delivered to my house. Especially the days when there is a substitute mail carrier.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

So how do you hold USPS accountable if the item is stolen from the guy's mailbox or porch??  Do you think UPS and FedEx should also be held accountable because someone claims they didn't receive a package they show delivered??  

In my entire life of catalog and online shopping I have never not received a package.  In my entire 18 plus years and over 8000 transactions on ebay - I have only had two INR claims and one of those was lost according to the tracking and was covered by postal insurance.  

Congrats on that. My experience has been different but spans well over 8,000 transactions. A few times a month I get someone else`s mail.

In the event of mis-delivery, as was suggested by Tuni, yes, I think some type of complaint should be made and the post office be asked that they do their jobs. That`s accountability. I`m not suggesting they be held accountable for porch pirates or buyers lying to receive freebies. Why would you think that I was suggesting anything else after reading my previous post?

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Look, most buyers know nothing except they get mail..........  to suggest to them to check with the Post Office, which might seem to us to be obvious,  is the right thing to do...........

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Look, most buyers know nothing except they get mail..........  to suggest to them to check with the Post Office, which might seem to us to be obvious,  is the right thing to do...........

Thank you DH. That was my opinion as well (see post #3).

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

When you buy anything online you as a buyer are taking a risk that something in the delivery process may go wrong or the item may be stolen before you actually get to touch handle it. These are inherent risks of shipping online. These can all be avoided by buying in the store. There’s no 100% risk prevention in life and to think that a adult can feel so absolved of any personally liability or responsibilities is absurd and further highlights the prevailing sense of entitlement that is so ever present in society. Those of us who anticipate the possibilities of loss can mitigate this risk in many ways not limited to but including purchasing online shopping items with credit cards that protect us from porch theft or other casualties of online shopping. That’s why I use Amex Gold for most of my online shopping. 

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

all the new scanners drivers carry have a gps locater, when scanned delivered it gives gps coordinates that their local po can look up. this alone shuts down most inr questions. if they file an inr and it shows delivered ebay picks up the tab if the buyer pursues it. it may still affect your metrics but you wont be out money. i have never had ebay with the new system make me refund buyer once scanned delivered

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Yup, on my last INR I had to direct the buyer to the PO to arrange to have an attempted re-delivery of the item. It had been sitting at their PO for 16 days after a notice supposedly being left. (no secure location) Shipped with tracking. Tracking was in the "order details".

I am pleased that in this case USPS failed to do their job by returning the unclaimed item after 15 days.

I did a tracking status update request on Jan 30.  I got an auto reply update:

If this item is unclaimed by January 29, 2019 then it will be returned to sender.

Item delivered on Feb 1

Closed in my favor, INR metric ding for me.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply