cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is absurd! How is a Bluegrass record 'HATEFUL & DISCRIMINATORY' ???

I've been selling vinyl records in here for 20 years. I'm not going to comment on the person who felt it was warranted to 'report' my listing, but more so on the EBAY EMPLOYEE who looked at it and felt that this item should be removed.
Can't they use common sense ?? It's a RECORD!

The title of the listing : "COUNTRY GENTLEMEN - 'Johnny Reb/Buffalo Girls' 1968 Unplayed Country 45 on Rebel"

Rebel is a world-renowned music company that has specialized in bluegrass music for over 70 years. 

I guess it's no surprise that the link on the 'message from Ebay' about this regarding "questions? contact us" takes me to a page about hazardous materials not allowed through the mail...and absolutely nothing else.

Oh, and where's my 15 cent credit for this auction listing since it's removal was baseless and unwarranted?

country gent johnny a.jpg

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: This is absurd! How is a Bluegrass record 'HATEFUL & DISCRIMINATORY' ???

That is just so over the top. 

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

How is a Bluegrass record 'HATEFUL & DISCRIMINATORY' ???

It is not hateful or discriminatory. But it violates eBay policy because it displays the confederate battle flag. 

Not allowed

• Confederate battle flag and related items with its image

One of the great things about our country is our  freedom. And that freedom includes the freedom to choose what other people can do while they are on our property. eBay has used this freedom to decide that sellers cannot sell anything on their site that displays the confederate battle flag. 

I suspect that a similar eBay policy also covers posts to this messageboard, so if I were you I would not be shocked by another policy violation. 

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

So, that includes 'this' listing too? There are a number of copies of this being sold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAST-CONFEDERATE-FLAG-By-Lloyd-Lenard-Excellent-Condition/183391378971?epid...

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

@arisdisc wrote:

So, that includes 'this' listing too? There are a number of copies of this being sold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAST-CONFEDERATE-FLAG-By-Lloyd-Lenard-Excellent-Condition/183391378971?epid...

Yes, it does.

But don't confuse an "eBay policy" with an "eBay policy that is enforced completely, equally or correctly🙂

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

Another inane eBay policy. The Civil War is part of our American History. There should be zero reason why a Confederate Flag on a old record is an issue with anyone, unless their relatives fought on the other side.
That's just great. I sell a ton of military items and have had and do have items with this flag on it currently up. More sitting here too.
Stupid policy eBay. The Civil War is American History, wow, shaking my head.
Message 6 of 82
latest reply

@arisdisc wrote:

I've been selling vinyl records in here for 20 years. I'm not going to comment on the person who felt it was warranted to 'report' my listing, but more so on the EBAY EMPL
Can't they use common sense ?? It's a RECORD!

The title of the listing : "COUNTRY GENTLEMEN - 'Johnny Reb/Buffalo Girls' 1968 Unplayed Country 45 on Rebel"

Rebel is a world-renowned music company that has specialized in bluegrass music for over 70 years. 

I guess it's no surprise that the link on the 'message from Ebay' about this regarding "questions? contact us" takes me to a page about hazardous materials not allowed through the mail...and absolutely nothing else.

Oh, and where's my 15 cent credit for this auction listing since it's removal was baseless and unwarrante

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

@arisdisc wrote: I'm not going to comment on the person who felt it was warranted to 'report' my listing, but more so on the EBAY EMPLOYEE who looked at it and felt that this item should be removed.

I suspect that the expert determination rendered by the ebay employee was based upon his/her sensitivity training, and sensitivity education.

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

No surprise whatsoever.  It happens all the time (removal notices with links to policy pages that have NOTHING to do with the policy that was actually or purportedly violated). 

It's ridiculous.  Anything related to the vehicle in Dukes of Hazard, civil war history books with the "wrong" cover art, and all manner of legitimate historical objects / images... all banned.  Obviously there is nothing hateful or discriminatory about a bluegrass record... but it has an image on it that is offensive to the intolerant, and eBay policy says it can't be listed here. 

Never relist any listing removed by eBay, even if you revise the listing to bring it into compliance, even if eBay says it's OK to relist it.  More often than not it will be removed again, and if that happens there is a good chance they'll permanently ban you from selling, there have been countless incidents where that happened on the Discussion Boards over the years.  Do not do it. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 9 of 82
latest reply

Stupid policy eBay. The Civil War is American History, wow, shaking my head.

Agreed, 100%. 

eBay has an even more draconian view of militaria and other items involving the Third Reich.  Do not list any of those items either without first consulting their policies. 

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/offensive-material-policy?id=4324

See "Read Our Full Policy", then see "Racially and ethnically offensive..." under "Not Allowed".

Message 11 of 82
latest reply

It's not just Ebay. The EBay haters here use it to boost the negative relationship they have with Ebay, but it is actually haters throughout the country. Have you missed all the hype of removing statues and flags throughout the south ? Someone reported your listing and others have net yet been reported is all.

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

eBay has an even more draconian view of militaria and other items involving the Third Reich.  

You mean like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231872899854

Sellers can always use the image mosaic function. Really easy to get eBay conform.country gent johnny a.jpg

Test your eBay search rank: https://ranktool.bid
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

I would have been more than happy to use the 'mosaic' function if I 'ever' thought this record label was going to be an issue. I'm 69 years old, not born yesterday. This label doesn't connotate 'anything' to me except rare music.

Since there are a 'lot' of other sellers currently selling items on this same record label, a 'notice' from Ebay that it needed to be changed would seem like a better option. I would have done it right away.

I also have to think that adding the 'Confederate Flag' to the list of banned items was done in the last year, or maybe even in the last few months. Maybe when changes like that are made, sellers should be informed.

Right now, there are actually two 'flags' for sale here in Ebay. Also, actual photographs of Lee and others from the Civil War where these flags are prominently displayed. Since this was a well known part of our History, this 'banned issue' really needs to be fine-tuned and clarified. It never feels right when only 'some' listings are affected, but others are left as is.

Message 14 of 82
latest reply

Perhaps ebay should consider, and be reminded, since it is an "International" corp., that there is NOTHING in the world that can be offered on ebay that MAY NOT BE OFFENSIVE, either racially, ethnically, religiously or morally, to somebody.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 82
latest reply