cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a scam, right?

So I got a message inquiring about the buyitnow price of an item, I told the buyer what it is and they responded with this - what surprised me is that this person has a good rating on ebay (32 positive feedback, user for a decade) - not one of the registered today type thing - do I just ignore/block or alert ebay to this kind of thing? This really reads like they're trying to scam me out of my item and ensure that I have no recourse

"Thank you for your response.

Kindly send PayPal request of the total amount to include $30 for shipping 

(USPS EXPRESS NEXT DAY DELIVERY) to my PayPal email 

(email address here). so i can proceed with the payment and you can 

have it shipped to (address here)"

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: This is a scam, right?

Yes it’s 100% a SCAM. He wants a paypal invoice so he can send you a FAKE payment notice from paypal and he wants you to overnight the item so that it will be too late to intercept the package should you fall for the scam and ship.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes it’s 100% a SCAM. He wants a paypal invoice so he can send you a FAKE payment notice from paypal and he wants you to overnight the item so that it will be too late to intercept the package should you fall for the scam and ship.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jrandall86

Having only 2 selling feedbacks, and listing expensive laptops,

you're going to attract tons of scammers.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it's a scam. Could be a hacked account.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the heads-up - the other two items I've sold on eBay were a mid-range laptop and a designer leather jacket and I didn't get hit with any scammers in those cases - just lowballers so this is a new experience for me.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

We also think it could be a hacked account.  You wnat to call and express concerns they should guide you into the right direction.  Best regards

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@jrandall86 wrote:

So I got a message inquiring about the buyitnow price of an item, I told the buyer what it is and they responded with this - what surprised me is that this person has a good rating on ebay (32 positive feedback, user for a decade) - not one of the registered today type thing - do I just ignore/block or alert ebay to this kind of thing? This really reads like they're trying to scam me out of my item and ensure that I have no recourse

"Thank you for your response.

Kindly send PayPal request of the total amount to include $30 for shipping 

(USPS EXPRESS NEXT DAY DELIVERY) to my PayPal email 

(email address here). so i can proceed with the payment and you can 

have it shipped to (address here)"

Scam.

I just play dumb and let them fumble with me for a bit.

At least they won't be scamming some other poor fool while I'm giving them the yo-yo treatment.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have said, this is the fake payment e-mail scam. It sounds like a hacked account - call eBay to report it and add the ID to your blocked list.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply