cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about selling again.

Back in 2011 I was selling and quit as they put me on a 21 day hold the day after I got my "Power Seller" status or whatever it is called. I sold under the I.D. "bwrighttwo". I was just curious if anyone has had any issues lately with hlds, as I was thinking about selling again. Are they still holding money to gain interest. Hopefully the "sandypurins" id will not respond to this. Thanks for all feedback to this post.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Thinking about selling again.

Yes, paypal does a 21 day hold on all new account and ones that dont sell very often, not all holds are 21 days some are 3 days after the item shows as delivered with provided tracking. 

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

You should read the boards and then read the ebay buyer protection/money back guarantee policy, and if you still want to sell on ebay, take a month to go throught the tons of ebay selling policies - and know that ebay won't follow most of them and there are 'hidden' policies according to an ebay employee.

And if you still want to sell on ebay after that, come on back and we can give you some tips.

And because you are a new seller (not sold a number of items in the past year)  paypal will put a hold on your funds.

For me, I sell on ebay as a third job for extra cash and as an outlet for items that I can not list on other sites.  I will not list anything worth more than $30 on ebay unless I have a buck or less in it and the loss will not be so bad.  Because right now, if a buyer has a problem, ebay expects a seller to refund the buyer for it.   There is a saying around here, do not list anything you can not afford to lose.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Not sure how Paypal would gain interest from money that's still in your account (just unaccessable to you for a time). But yes, the holds are still in place.  Bottom of the page>policies>type in payment hold

b3faeec3e462ac2d809b3724de60da65

If you can't see the graphic:

To ensure there are no problems with a sale, sometimes eBay, PayPal, or both, put a hold on a payment from a buyer. eBay places holds to make sure buyers get the item they ordered, while PayPal might place a hold on transactions as an added precaution. Here are some of the reasons why holds could be placed on your account.

eBay payment hold for new sellers

While you establish your selling track record, funds from buyer payments may be delayed. Generally, holds stay on until 7 days after the estimated delivery date or 3 days after confirmed delivery. If there's a problem or a case after the delivery, another hold will be placed until the case is resolved.

You'll be considered an established seller once:

• It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale
  • You've had more than 25 transactions and more than $250 in sales

eBay payment hold for established sellers

If you're an established seller, your payment may be held because:

• Your seller dashboard rating has been below standard for 90 days
  • You've started selling in a new category
  • Your account shows unusual activity, such as a sudden increase of eBay Money Back Guarantee cases
  • Your buyer opened a request for an item they didn't receive or an item that didn't match the listing description
  • You need to add tracking details to an item in order for an eBay Money Back Guarantee case to be resolved

To find out about the status of a payment and what you can do to get your funds more quickly, select See payment status and go to your Sold history to see the expected date when payment will be made available.

Learn more:

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Paypal has been clear that the 21 day holds earn no interest. Obviously they are using the holds for Paypal's protection, let's be clear about that. However they place an equivalent amount of money in a non-interest bearing account. They are open to scrutiny as a publicly held company so I tend to believe it.

Not sure what you have against Sandypurins, she is the most knowledgeable poster on Paypal AFAIK.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

First  I would like to thank you all for feedback. If you will search my old UN, "bwrighttwo" you will see that I was familiar with the policies back in 2011. The thing is,,,, they were not consistant. I was really curious if they were a little better now about changing the rules as they go. I guess retrose gave me a good idea of the answer. 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

It's harder, not easier than it was back then. You might want to read the last couple updates and keep up on this board for awhile before you sell again. Going into it blind could lead to a lot of issues. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@wilwron-0 wrote:

Back in 2011 I was selling and quit as they put me on a 21 day hold the day after I got my "Power Seller" status or whatever it is called. I sold under the I.D. "bwrighttwo". I was just curious if anyone has had any issues lately with hlds, as I was thinking about selling again. Are they still holding money to gain interest. Hopefully the "sandypurins" id will not respond to this. Thanks for all feedback to this post.

I go through periods of thinking about selling here again, too... then a seller update or a sudden unannounced policy change or the revalation of some hidden policy causes me to forget about it and go back to what I was doing.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

It's harder, not easier than it was back then. You might want to read the last couple updates and keep up on this board for awhile before you sell again. Going into it blind could lead to a lot of issues. 

I assume you mean the way policies are now compared to back then.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Following the rules is pretty easy these days. In my opinion the pressure off the DSR stars and the fact that customer feedback does not affect your rating any longer has made it easier. Sales are at an all time low and if I had other options presenting themselves I would stop. Ebay has proven to be an inconsistent platform, which has not followed through on their equal playing fiel promises.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Not sure what you have against Sandypurins, she is the most knowledgeable poster on Paypal AFAIK.

I have some screenshots saved of exchanges I had with the "sandypurins" ID from between Oct 2011 thru Sept 2012 that were deleted by Liveworld or someone. There are so many contradictions on policies within them I find it hard to believe that ID is not just a shill.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@wilwron-0 wrote:

I go through periods of thinking about selling here again, too... then a seller update or a sudden unannounced policy change or the revalation of some hidden policy causes me to forget about it and go back to what I was doing.

I have a few friends that quit. They were both selling 1000 to 2000k per month. One quit because eBay made them use PayPal and the other quit because of some policy change, I think it was negative feedback would count as a defect. Neither had an actual bad experience just the thought of one made them quit.

I have to say that I haven't had a problem in a long time and I can count two hands the actual problems I have had since 1997 and tens of thousands of sales. The ones that do cause a problem are usually the $10-30  items.

And the best advice, don't sell something you can't afford to lose. Sell what you can't get rid of easily locally. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@wilwron-0 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I assume you mean the way policies are now compared to back then.

There are two ways of death by ebay, and they are to be "out of stock" which includes damaged before mailing, unable to find the item, etc. The second way to die a quick death is to rack up "unresolved seller strikes" which are when the buyer sends you back a box of rocks and you fight it, or any other buyer complaint and you don't agree with them. You will lose, and receive one of these strikes 99/100.  You are allowed 3 of these, that is it, then you are out.  "Not as described" claims from the buyer now mean that you are to refund the item price, original postage, and pay to get your item back to you. You have another option--to refund without getting the item back. 

Besides that, prices have fallen, check a few sold items of the kind you sell. Sell-through rates are slow, takes a lot longer than it used to. ebay has 1 billion listings. 

That's the worst of it. I still sell here, so it must still be working for me. 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@wilwron-0 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I assume you mean the way policies are now compared to back then. Excluding items silver and gold market effected.

There are two ways of death by ebay, and they are to be "out of stock" which includes damaged before mailing, unable to find the item, etc. The second way to die a quick death is to rack up "unresolved seller strikes" which are when the buyer sends you back a box of rocks and you fight it, or any other buyer complaint and you don't agree with them. You will lose, and receive one of these strikes 99/100.  You are allowed 3 of these, that is it, then you are out.  "Not as described" claims from the buyer now mean that you are to refund the item price, original postage, and pay to get your item back to you. You have another option--to refund without getting the item back. 

Besides that, prices have fallen, check a few sold items of the kind you sell. Sell-through rates are slow, takes a lot longer than it used to. ebay has 1 billion listings. 

That's the worst of it. I still sell here, so it must still be working for me. 

Ya know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you were to compare the prices of items i sold then and now, they actually sell for more today. I really never had an issue with buyers. My issues were with how PP and Ebay handled the way they dealt with monies. Thanks again for your input.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@wilwron-0 wrote:

Ya know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you were to compare the prices of items i sold then and now, they actually sell for more today. I really never had an issue with buyers. My issues were with how PP and Ebay handled the way they dealt with monies. Thanks again for your input.

Terrific...a few things have gone up, many have gone down. If what you have in inventory has gone up, you're one of the lucky ones. I have a hoard, so there's a mix for me. 

You will still get the 21 day hold. Sometimes ebay releases the hold after buyer gives positive feedback or 3 days after delivery, or so I hear....I have no firsthand knowledge, having not opened a new account in some years. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply