cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The reason there are no sales at Ebay

A lot of people are blaming the economy but even with a bad economy people still buys stuff. 

The real reason there are no sales is that Ebay is chasing away the sellers. Those sellers are also buyers.

Ebay hasn't improved their policies. Ebay policies have been hurting the sellers for many years. Years ago there was nowhere to go but now sellers have other options for example IG and Whatnot . People who works at Ebay from the bottom (customer care) to the top (CEO) have never sold anything online in their entire life so they don't understand the sellers and they are sinking the boat. The fees for me have increased a lot. I used to pay 16% now i pay 18% everytime i sell to the US . Now i also have to bribe Ebay so they can show most of my listings. As a buyer when i want to buy something from a seller i have to use ebay international shipping and i have to pay import taxes that i normally don't pay by Mexican laws. Like me there are many sellers at Ebay that aren't buying anymore.

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

@mam98031 wrote:

I know you are in Portugal, so I have no experience with your shipping options, but international shipping is just expensive, period.  

I feel like a whole lot of people don't understand how RIDICULOUSLY expensive international shipping has become since Covid. I used to be able to get a small (less than 1 lb) item shipped EMS from Japan for 2000 yen. Now it costs 3900 yen. That's literally almost double what it used to be.

Message 61 of 91
latest reply

The economy is in great shape? That's one of the craziest things I've heard in a while. Unless you're the top percent you're struggling right now. 

Message 62 of 91
latest reply

Generally overall ebay has declined as a good place to sell and a good place to buy in the last 15 years. 

If you haven't been on here for at least 10 to 15 years but you think it's good, you have no way of comparing how good it was before you started selling here. Or buying for that matter. 

We who have been here long term, have seen the decline. 

I wonder if anyone who  has been selling here for more than 15 years can honestly say

it's better now than it was then?   Anyone?

Message 63 of 91
latest reply

@jupiter_collectibles wrote:

The economy is in great shape? That's one of the craziest things I've heard in a while. Unless you're the top percent you're struggling right now. 

The economy is doing well and the unemployment rate is extremely low.

The problem from my view point is prices for items we all depend on in some way.  Especially gas and food.  Those prices have not come down since the Covid years.  Manufacturers even downsized their products and then ridiculously increased the price of the product.  All of which is harmful to many people.

There are still lots of people that have not recovered from the financial burden the Covid years created.  It was hard on many.  And now for renters that had their rent deferred, they have to pay all that back to their landlords too.  IMHO it is a mess.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 64 of 91
latest reply

The economy is, indeed, doing well. Unfortunately, so is rampant greedflation.

Let us bend the knee to holy capitalism.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 65 of 91
latest reply

The economy is fine?

Are you in another country?

Message 66 of 91
latest reply

I can speculate as to why there are no sales on eBay, but I know one for certain - buyers are not going to overpay for and sellers are not going to make less to support eBay's failing get-rich-quick scheme.

I just got two pallets of Dell R730 and R730XD, none of those will be listed on eBay. I will sell every one of them for the price I expect to receive. There will be no fees paid to eBay or anyone else. There will be no shipping labor or expense and there will be no returns or scamming of any kind.

Other than parking slow-selling stuff and certain high-value items, as far as I'm concerned eBay is done. eBay could end the PL nonsense entirely, stop putting ads all over sellers' item pages, stop collecting fees on shipping and tax and I probably still wouldn't list a lot of things here.

Why? Because I no longer "need" to. eBay made the mistake of believing sellers needed eBay and that gave eBay the power to extract excessive fees and generally treat sellers like trash. That was a miscalculation.

Message 67 of 91
latest reply

Interesting that you gave that example of not selling your pallets of goods on eBay. I would have to agree as I'm doing much the same thing. It's just good business sense I think.

eBay simply isn't getting the traffic it once was. Yesterday I listed 10 items on one account here and listed the same 10 items elsewhere adding an additional $4 to the price elsewhere. 4 items sold elsewhere and 2 this morning sold elsewhere. Meanwhile view counts on eBay are at 3, 5, 1, 0, 2, 3 with 0 sold. That's not a complaint. That's factual observation. 

No, I don't promote anywhere.

We all have to do what is best for our businesses. Sometimes that entails difficult and uncomfortable decisions. 

I don't necessarily subscribe to the hiding listings theory although it raises questions when looking at a sellers store and the label says x number listings and one opens the store page and there are 24 fewer (or whatever number fewer) listings shown. 

But I think, for me, the real problem comes from fewer buyers visiting the site for a wide variety of reasons including that sellers are moving inventory elsewhere. It's a circle really. One thing I do know is that I'm not investing as much time or the goods on eBay as I was a year ago. In fact, with each passing year, I'm investing less. But my profits are increasing overall from increased sales and profit margin elsewhere. 

To answer an earlier question: Why continue listing on ebay? Because it's good business to have exposure. The more eyes that see an item, the greater the chance of a sale especially when it's free to list as long as I stay under my 250 limit. Just because one continues to list on eBay doesn't mean one can't get frustrated with sales or policies and neither does one have to swear and oath of loyalty or sing praises to a platform. It simply means the poster is frustrated. 

Message 68 of 91
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jupiter_collectibles wrote:

The economy is doing well and the unemployment rate is extremely low.

The problem from my view point is prices for items we all depend on in some way.  Especially gas and food.  Those prices have not come down since the Covid years.  Manufacturers even downsized their products and then ridiculously increased the price of the product.  All of which is harmful to many people.

There are still lots of people that have not recovered from the financial burden the Covid years created.  It was hard on many.  And now for renters that had their rent deferred, they have to pay all that back to their landlords too.  IMHO it is a mess.

Fuel here isn't bad, about $2.80 a gallon but welcome to zone based pricing.

Grocery prices are down for the most part but items with sugars and such are up as the commodity is way up last I checked.  That said, yeah, everything shrunk in size regardless and that's been an ongoing event w/ food products quite some time at least here where I am.

We are not past the pandemic it is alive and well, got 20 million American's racked with medical bills from long covid and that's expected to escalate as science is showing anyone who got covid has long covid even if they don't feel it.  Remnants of the spike proteins remain in body cells the immune system didn't kill and those proteins can cause a variety of dysfunctions in the cells.  Its also been shown over time many of the same cell types, dysfunctional are collecting together.

Rent, student loans, competition...  Everything's multi-factorial and all one can do is plod on.

Message 69 of 91
latest reply

@sumsum70 wrote:

I can speculate as to why there are no sales on eBay, but I know one for certain - buyers are not going to overpay for and sellers are not going to make less to support eBay's failing get-rich-quick scheme.

I just got two pallets of Dell R730 and R730XD, none of those will be listed on eBay. I will sell every one of them for the price I expect to receive. There will be no fees paid to eBay or anyone else. There will be no shipping labor or expense and there will be no returns or scamming of any kind.

Other than parking slow-selling stuff and certain high-value items, as far as I'm concerned eBay is done. eBay could end the PL nonsense entirely, stop putting ads all over sellers' item pages, stop collecting fees on shipping and tax and I probably still wouldn't list a lot of things here.

Why? Because I no longer "need" to. eBay made the mistake of believing sellers needed eBay and that gave eBay the power to extract excessive fees and generally treat sellers like trash. That was a miscalculation.

Those cant be fun ship to begin with.  I've a buddy who sells hordes of Laptops here that he gets off lease and does very very very well at it.

Message 70 of 91
latest reply

In Japan you can use Air Small Packet, it costs around ¥900 or ¥1000 (around 6 Euros)

I ship worldwide up to 200 grams for 5.50 Euros (more or less 6 Dollars) 

Message 71 of 91
latest reply

They aren't fun to ship. The only way to ship them and be confident they won't be damaged is to use 36x24x6 for 1U and 36x24x8 for 2U. The cushioning can be either instapak or PE foam. I do PE foam cut and glued very similar to the manufacturer's original box. A box and foam averages out to about $12 worth of materials.

The disproportionate ratio of shipping costs to fees vs sellers who sell small, lightweight items makes it a dumb decision to sell here if you can net the same money while giving buyers a better deal. I'd guess anyone who lives in a city of 1M or more people can do just fine without eBay. 

Message 72 of 91
latest reply

@kennys-kollectibles 

Selling here since 1998.

Not better,not worse.

About the same.

Depending on which account I look at, since they cover very different categories with very different demographics, my income from eBay has been pretty stable month to month and year to year.

I was here before Billpoint, when we waited for cheques in the mail, which then bounced.

I was here before Stores were in Search.

I was here when every picture cost us a dime.

I was here when there was no protection for sellers shipping overseas.

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

Message 73 of 91
latest reply

"

I wonder if anyone who  has been selling here for more than 15 years can honestly say

it's better now than it was then?   Anyone?"

The death of the computer, replaced by the cell phone - where you are surveilled each moment!

Message 74 of 91
latest reply

"Remnants of the spike proteins remain in body cells the immune system didn't kill and those proteins can cause a variety of dysfunctions in the cells."

You mean the spike proteins created by the injections?

Message 75 of 91
latest reply