cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Related Sponsored Listings"

I will admit to abandoning a seller because I opted to purchase a widget from those sponsored listings that appeared above the description in her listing.

I truly felt bad about it - I know it's not the seller's idea to have those in her listing - but the "related" listing was less expensive and was IPR, not an auction.

But ebay got its money either way, now didn't it.

And oh, btw, just as importantly, when I searched over and  over for this particular widget, the one I ended up purchasing never appeared in search results or, duh, I would have immediately bought it.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: The "Related Sponsored Listings"

@hdps_corp wrote:

The big problem I see with sponsored advertisers 

1- When you buy from them, you don't know their feedback, nor yours will matter

2- You will be on your own if something goes wrong

3- I have seeing even firearms advertising on eBay from sponsors.....they don't have to go by eBay rules, which is not a benefit to eBay real sellers.

Since eBay start taking money from sponsors, they also hurt the ebay sellers that are feeding eBay...reason why this whole mess is falling gradually in the last few years.

There is a lot of confusion with the terms "sponsored" and "promoted", this thread is about Promoted listings placed by other eBay sellers not third-party ads from merchants not related to eBay at all.

Your "problems" are related to third-party non-eBay merchants ads. I've never seen those placed in the location the OP stated "appeared above the description".

And I see I'm slow and use too many words!

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

I will admit to abandoning a seller because I opted to purchase a widget from those sponsored listings that appeared above the description in her listing.

I truly felt bad about it - I know it's not the seller's idea to have those in her listing - but the "related" listing was less expensive and was IPR, not an auction.

But ebay got its money either way, now didn't it.

And oh, btw, just as importantly, when I searched over and  over for this particular widget, the one I ended up purchasing never appeared in search results or, duh, I would have immediately bought it.

Yep, that is why I pay the extra 1%

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

There is a lot of confusion with the terms "sponsored" and "promoted", this thread is about Promoted listings placed by other eBay sellers not third-party ads from merchants not related to eBay at all.

It's especially confusing because ebay calls them "sponsored listings."

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

It's especially confusing because ebay calls them "sponsored listings."

Part of the problem is perspective, to a seller who pays an extra fee for these it's a "promoted" listing as in I want to promote my items, for the buyer who views the ad it's "sponsored" as in somebody paid extra to get this to show up.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

As I said earlier, "we" board posters tend to call them promoted listings.  I vaguely remember way back when that there was some reason ebay couldn't/wouldn't use that word so used "sponsored" instead.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

I think there was some law passed that paid for ads had to be labeled as "sponsored".......if you look at all the click bait on google......there are "sponsored listings" there, despite the headlines that sound like "news".........

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Aha, thanks dh.  I knew there was some reason that, after quite some time with ebay people talking about this fabulous new promoted listings thing because sellers asked and ebay responded (cough), they were changed to sponsored listings.

Old people Seasoned posters still call them "promoted;" I know I do.  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@sharingtheland 

Hey...hope the shipping department is back to "normal?". when you say abandoned the seller, does that mean you paid for it, then saw other cheapos and with quicker ship (or did you retract an auction) then had to do a cancel to that first seller? I am seeing if you actually pay, then all of a sudden all the searches you originally wanted to show up, only show up only when you pay...should make one think what is actually happening when you happen to be the seller (hope this is making sense). I posted last May 2018 where I bought something as a test just to see how at the buyer level how it works...I bought it, I paid for it...all of a sudden I received many emails from ebay of cheaper items (and not even close to quality), then when the seller shipped, got more notices for cheaper items, then when received? same mantra from ebay. So there are no win here (for the seller).

This type of online website behaviour is absolute, complete lunacy that most likely came as a result of meagerly paid hourly employees being PRESSURED by the upper echelons to "think of something!" to increase sales.

That, or the college-educated upper echelon think tank itself is responsible.

Absolute cockamamie here (I am surprised the word cockamamie doesn't get censored, more examples of the idiocy).

Yes, I get those emails too (actually not true, I've turned them off and figured most other buyers have too).

In a lot of cases I see the ruse, they're just trying to sell me CHEAPER CHEAPER!!!

And in most cases those emails are best ignored, once again their incredible efforts to outdo themselves have simply resulted in ebay tripping all over itself in its rush to be helpful.

Maybe...

STOP TRYING TO MAKE GOOD ENOUGH "BETTER."

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I think there was some law passed that paid for ads had to be labeled as "sponsored".......if you look at all the click bait on google......there are "sponsored listings" there, despite the headlines that sound like "news".........

Oh yes, they're getting more deceptive by the day.

I believe this is the beginning of the end for Google.

Deceiving your visitors has never been a good idea.

These people don't seem to realize nor care about that, they just step all over everybody in their effort to extract riches from every possible click.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply