cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ominous eBay "Algorithm". Fact or Fiction?

I see quite a few references to the eBay "algorithm" but I haven't seen any evidence that one actually exists.

Does the algorithm exist?

How does the algorithm manifest?

Is the algorithm room with us right now?

Ok, last question was meant to be light hearted and more humorous. I just don't know how the algorithm would manifest. Most of my items are found using "search". I assume the buyers order search results by lowest price with shipping included and begin to examine each of the cheapest item to find one in the condition and price they desire.

Watching YouTube videos from "top rated sellers" offering advice on eBay, I often hear suggestions on how to appease the algorithm by "do these 5 things daily".

Do we have examples of eBay shadow banning accounts on eBay? Clear cut examples where you can see this algorithm in action? Excluding sellers "promoting" items by paying a fee to be at the top of a search. Does eBay really channel traffic to sellers it prefers or favors? 

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: The ominous eBay "Algorithm". Fact or Fiction?

Just to be clear, "Cassini" is the name of the search engine...  It is driven by computer program code (instructions).  That code implements algorithm(s) which are processes to accomplish the work.

The algorithm of adding numbers together to find a total is called "Summation."  The operator used to perform the summation is the addition operator, aka: "t=n+n" whereby 'n' is input data, t is output data.

Algorithms in computer science are simply processes, we can put whatever name on them we like.

Here's an algorithm I just made called "Froggy Doggy."

x=((14+c2)  x (f4 - x3) x 5)

It add's 14 to a variable named c2 multiplying the result by variable f4 minus the variable x3 and then multiplies that result times 5 and assigns it to variable x.  What's it do?  Well I just told you!  But lets say it computes a trajectory stone graphics in a video game or perhaps its how many "Hit points" you're dungeon and dragons character inflicts upon another character.

In the end, algorithms are processes of accomplishing work.

/\

5    2

/\   /\

4  9  1  6

The above is a data structure known as a "Binary Tree."  There are algorithms to process binary tree's, this one is an "unordered" Binary Tree.  The below is the result of running an algorithm over the unordered binary tree to "order" it.  Now that it's ordered if we'd care find a value within the tree there are algorithms to "traverse" the tree following either right or left nodes depending on an algorithm comparing our input data against the data in the tree in ever so simplest of terms.

/\

2   3

/\   /\

4  5  6  9

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

@bamorris 
It's not that I sold four items on the same day.  It's that I listed those four items, all in one day (a long time ago).  
As to why they have not sold earlier?    They are not being seen.
They may start out on the 1st page.  But quickly drop to where other sellers items are seen 1st. OR, are just "seen".    Then, as time goes on, they wind up back on the 1st page of searches and seen again.
It's not that you are the cheapest, best, most creative listing.  It's not that YOU or your ITEM is anything.  Other than "time".
That "time" back to the top (back to being seen) is every few months best I can tell.  The only thing a seller can do about that is to go back in and end/restart your listings every so often.  BUT, you don't really know when that every so often is.   SO, it's really not worth it.   (I end/restart about once a year).

It seems to me that, in the last couple years.  With the roll out of Cassini Search Algorithm.  Lots of variable an factors.  But one thing is certain. 
It's designed so that many sellers, sell a few items.  Rather than a few sellers, selling many items.

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

I just ran a two word search.  (I have an item promoted BIG that usually pops up 1st in this search).
(best match) Sure enough, there it was, very top.  Started that listing Nov 2022.  707 views.  Other sellers items down the page.
A minute later, I backed out, ran the exact same search again.  I now have the 1st five items. 
interesting

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone claiming to know how to beat the so called algorithm is a clickbait scammer - run away as fast as you can.

Ask them to publish this so called algorithm for you so everyone can take a look at it and use math to determine what is does. Ask them to put up or shut up.

In reality its a larger group of interconnected algorithms.

In programming these "threads" of coding are accomplishing various tasks simultaneously and / or consecutively. They can be triggered automatically and manually. Keep in mind all this code is written by humans.

As far as you know upper eBay management could manually invoke a wee bit of special code to hide your very valuable item so an agent acting on their behalf can buy it for nothing and resell it for big dollars. Dishonest local auctioneers do this all the time - they intentionally suppress items because they can make a lot more reselling the item themselves than any commission they get form the item. One local auctioneer had antique shop connected to the end of the building, resells items in another consignment shop, and employees resell on eBay.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

@bamorris 
It's not that I sold four items on the same day.  It's that I listed those four items, all in one day (a long time ago).  
As to why they have not sold earlier?    They are not being seen.
They may start out on the 1st page.  But quickly drop to where other sellers items are seen 1st. OR, are just "seen".    Then, as time goes on, they wind up back on the 1st page of searches and seen again.
It's not that you are the cheapest, best, most creative listing.  It's not that YOU or your ITEM is anything.  Other than "time".
That "time" back to the top (back to being seen) is every few months best I can tell.  The only thing a seller can do about that is to go back in and end/restart your listings every so often.  BUT, you don't really know when that every so often is.   SO, it's really not worth it.   (I end/restart about once a year).

It seems to me that, in the last couple years.  With the roll out of Cassini Search Algorithm.  Lots of variable an factors.  But one thing is certain. 
It's designed so that many sellers, sell a few items.  Rather than a few sellers, selling many items.

It could seek to balance sales via exposure, sure... Why not?  Vendor retention is ever so important especially "anchor vendors."

I've said this before...  eBay as a company have navigated extremely treacherous waters quite expertly and admirably over 20+ years whereby literally every direct format competitor is literally gone.

Now in reality due to eBay's successes myriads of specialization sites pick at the very flesh that eBay created!  I actively encourage people I run across to shop here before Amazon, before Walmart and the most common response I get as to why they wont is that "They got taken... Never again."  Now that's not buyers fault, that's not eBay's fault, its sellers.  Amazon has always been more hardline on sellers and Amazon IS its own merchant processor.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

it's the name of their search engine but it's function is far more then just search and there are more then just "one" algorithm working on the site.  But for instance in search term, say you type something into search here, get a list that returns 1,005 results, but then 2 other people use the search and search for the same thing, using the same exact wording but each of them get different results from you + different results from one another person A got 920 results, person b got 1,281 results... this is why the algorithm has potential to hurt sales because it doesn't just "return results" it factors in the users purchase history and all kind of other stuff so that persons a threw c all got different search results. This has been tested on the community here many times in various threads where posters all got different results. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 51 of 57
latest reply

@redlinear   That is part of the algorithm. Once you clicked, it kept track of you searching that item. It now knows you like the item. If you backed out and removed cookies the results would have been different. It just like sell-through gets you closest to the top, buyers clicking also gets you closer to the top. 

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

And if one researches the competition before listing an item - ebay will continually show you anything that you have previously researched as they think you want to buy the items. 

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

Yes eBay does hide and take off items that don't sell in a particular time . I had 1726 items removed back in 2021 due to ?? Who knows ?? I asked the ebay selling team and they had no idea why it just happens like We Were Born just happens 

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

Of course it exists.

I had zero sales September 14th.

How do you explain that?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 55 of 57
latest reply

If Ebay follows the same path as Amazon, the Best Match is biased toward the listings which are likely to stand the best chance of selling. And Ebay often copies Amazon.

How they determine that is the subject of much debate, just how buyers decide which listing to buy is debated.

Classic SEO seems to only increase impressions, not top 20% impressions which matters more.

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 57 of 57
latest reply