cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The latest news this morning

The other site is not even going to make you join prime for free shipping. No minimum amount and it starts today.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: The latest news this morning

I don't know how many temps they usually hire. 
However my daughter just got hired in Portland, OR. They hired 46 on that one day. Fixed shift too, no random days and hours which were killing her at last job.

@membersinceaug2001 wrote:

@jitterbug2003 wrote:

The other site is not even going to make you join prime for free shipping. No minimum amount and it starts today.

They are desperate.  Sales are dropping over there, they're not even hiring as many temp workers as years past.

awesome-altered-apparel, check out my listings!
Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Please tell me you don't really believe the shipping is free.  Shipping costs, handling costs, time, overhead, product costs, and profit are all tied into the selling price.  If it has "Free Shipping" you are paying for the it in the final price.  No seller will stay in business very long or be profitable if it is truly free.  And, remember, this other site has negotiated shipping rates that are cheaper, much cheaper than most ebay sellers are getting, like a flat rate for certain wts. to all areas of the country.  Why am I answering this?  Shop on the other site.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

I don't think anyone mentioned that Prime members will be upgraded to same day shipping on over 3 million items.  Yeah, it isn't the same but it isn't terrible either.  While the retail site does lose money, you can bet your life they aren't losing all that much on "free" shipping.  If you think they pay the same rate as us tiny sellers here, you are sorely mistaken.  Plus they have something eBay will probably never have...integrated warehouses and shipping hubs all over the country which reduces their costs even further.

But I would pretty much pay the membership just for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Joe

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

AMZ also is getting a new warehouse or something like that in Virginia. 

It's not a warehouse, it's called HQ2.  Eventually (soon) with 50,000 employees.  And it's not out somewhere in the wilds of VA; it's as close to the District as possible (Crystal City), scrunched between the Pentagon and Reagan National.  I just took Metro through there yesterday; can't imagine the impact of that many more people on the transit/public infrastructure/housing situation*.  

Now some outlets are reporting it may be split between here and somewhere on Long Island but I don't know why A would spend double on buildings and land.  And the word is the A people are furious that "someone" leaked the VA information, although it's rather obvious something bigly huge is happening based on activites of land developers and building owners.

In other words, A is not worried about the cost of free shipping during this holiday season if it's spending quazillions on HQ2.  And that company pays pennies on the dollar compared to what we do for shipping.

*Although wouldn't it be awesome if all of those old folk Arlington home owners sell for huge profits and move out here and want to buy my house and play golf.   sunglasses

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

AND it ticks me off I'm paying $119/yr for Prime which entitles me to free shipping. Maybe that's why the cost of Prime memberships went up this year... so the rest of us could subsidize everyone else.  😞

i believe you get prime TV too..... use it you;re paying for it.

Amazon has taken a hit...a punch in the gut and is trying to stun the on-line shoppers and gain more --those who didn't want to try Amazon..but might...and later they will pay...or not...but many will....

Amazon is not Ebay.... they do , we do... EACH seller decides what they can do...make a profit..or don't....we use the site....

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@tkinnebrew wrote:

But their prices are higher and sellers are worse, 🙂

If you look for someone on here with FR/GD (equivalent to prime shipping/returns), prices aren't really worse anymore.

That's one reason I've been saying eBay should come up with a better plan or help with shipping rates... because in many cases, FBA actually SAVES a bit of money on shipping compared to current eBay prices if you do FR/GD. Because your shipment is all paid in bulk, so items that are either very low or high in weight, save quite a bit on shipping fees.

EBay basically just confirmed with their new announcement about China, that they are able to get better rates than they are giving US sellers. Yet the shipping rates they give us are still higher than USPS Commercial Plus....?

EBAY shopuld come up with a better shipping plan???

you realize Amazon loses money on sales..they don't make mney on the sales side of the company...it is off set with profits elsewhere.... SHIPPING isn't free to anyone...someone pays....EBAY can't afford to pay and lose money...  you think giving a seller 1/2 off shipping cost...will help them?  nope...they would die... AND you think a  subscription service model would work? Someone pays , period.  

we all think that there is a secret shipping --that is so less and/ot free ..seems fair that the shipping companies shouldn't be in business either...and we make our profit ...well it simple not true...SHIPPING COST more and more...to ebay sellers, to Amazon..Wallmart..etc..ALL are paying...It is certainly easier to absorb it if your big...but still shipping cost a lot to the bottom line ...for everyone.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@cs497kcpope wrote:

Livadia, Shame on you! And you don't feel like a traitor?

really? a traitor?   There are post about not wanting to be like Amazon, So we aren't....but we have to be "loyal" to one or the other?   do you watch more than one channel on TV...more than one grocery store, more than one gas station?

oh please, Ebay is ebay and Amazon is Amzon... and we can use both....to shop, to sell....BECAUSE bottom line...I want to buy for less and/or sell and make a profit......

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Funny that companies like A thrive on the government's dole. They are the likes of Walmart using the government healthcare. 

This is what I read somewhere, don't shoot the messenger. Smiley Wink

latest reply