cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanksgiving holiday buyer awaiting payments - time away

i have a buyer who has not paid for their item yet (I accepted their offer on Monday morning at 8 am ) its now Wednesday and with thanksgiving tomorrow we will be out of the office until next Monday morning. after today i do not have access to the building and the item belongs to the owner of the shop that i work at so i don't want to be responsible for the item outside of the store (you never know what could go wrong) . so i don't want to take the item with me during the holiday break.  if I cancel I will get a defect if I don't ship it on Friday if he pays after i leave today I will get a defect for late shipment. (our policy is 1 day shipping on all our items due to the bonus eBay throws in for having that)  

my question is what should i do in this situation? i went ahead and messaged the buyer already explaining that we will be out of the office until Monday after today due to the holiday . however it seems like no matter what the account will end up getting dinged or I have to be responsible for an item outside of our store which i do not feel comfortable with 

P.S

also it means i will have to make a trip to the local post office where they pick the item up from our store normally

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Thanksgiving holiday buyer awaiting payments - time away

Personally, I would have waited the 96 hours out then and given them a ding for buying and no intention of paying after getting the message. 

But glad you don't have to worry about it over the long weekend. 🙂

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

yeah , but my luck he would all of a sudden have the funds and pay and then i would get the ding this way no one gets a ding and every one is happy all the way around 

and yeah not having to worry about it all weekend long of weather im gonna get a ding or not because of an item being in awaiting payments after i left for the weekend i'd end up fixating on it all weekend this way i can have a stress free weekend with out worrying about it and dude can rebuy it later if he wants it 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Tell the buyer not to pay until Friday. I think you can technically cancel the order an the 4th day for non payment

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

what is your shipping time on this listing? In other words, do you ship within 1 day after payment, 2 days after payment, 3 days.... 

The shipping time you choose is "business days". So tomorrow is a holiday, Saturday and Sunday don't count, so if you choose '"ships within 2 days", and even if the buyer pays today, you should be OK to ship Monday without getting dinged. 

All depends on the shipping timeline you chose on your listings.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@legacylaptops wrote:

yeah , but my luck he would all of a sudden have the funds and pay and then i would get the ding this way no one gets a ding and every one is happy all the way around 

and yeah not having to worry about it all weekend long of weather im gonna get a ding or not because of an item being in awaiting payments after i left for the weekend i'd end up fixating on it all weekend this way i can have a stress free weekend with out worrying about it and dude can rebuy it later if he wants it 

Unless the buyer asked you to cancel the order, they can report you for using the wrong reason to cancel to avoid a defect.

Have a great day
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Unless the buyer asked you to cancel the order, they can report you for using the wrong reason to cancel to avoid a defect.

What? The buyer said in messages they did not have the money to pay for it. Seller helped buyer avoid a non payer strike. Seller was not lying to avoid a defect.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@legacylaptops wrote:

the buyer responded to my message and mentioned that he did not have the funds right now so i went ahead and canceled the sale as "buyer asked to cancel" and told the buyer to repurchase when he had sufficient funds available to him so i guess i was freaking out over nothing after all 

But you've got some handy tips to handle awkward situations like this in the future.

Enjoy the weekend!

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Tell the buyer not to pay until Friday, and then cancel if/when the buyer takes your advice?

That makes sense to you?

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

What? The buyer said in messages they did not have the money to pay for it. Seller helped buyer avoid a non payer strike. Seller was not lying to avoid a defect.

They might not of had the money now, but they could of had it when it was time to pay.

The OP should have waited until they could cancel the order for nonpayment.

Have a great day
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@legacylaptops wrote:

i have a buyer who has not paid for their item yet (I accepted their offer on Monday morning at 8 am ) its now Wednesday and with thanksgiving tomorrow we will be out of the office until next Monday morning. after today i do not have access to the building and the item belongs to the owner of the shop that i work at so i don't want to be responsible for the item outside of the store (you never know what could go wrong) . so i don't want to take the item with me during the holiday break.  if I cancel I will get a defect if I don't ship it on Friday if he pays after i leave today I will get a defect for late shipment. (our policy is 1 day shipping on all our items due to the bonus eBay throws in for having that)  

my question is what should i do in this situation? i went ahead and messaged the buyer already explaining that we will be out of the office until Monday after today due to the holiday . however it seems like no matter what the account will end up getting dinged or I have to be responsible for an item outside of our store which i do not feel comfortable with 

P.S

also it means i will have to make a trip to the local post office where they pick the item up from our store normally

Telling the customer you are away until Monday seems like the best solution if you don't want to take the item with you to ship over the holidays. You may get dinged for late shipment, but one ding isn't the end of the world.

With tomorrow being a holiday, a Monday shipment would be only one business day, would it not? If they paid tomorrow.

Usually if I know I'll be away "in a few days", I message people proactively if they're not paying immediately to let them know, most people if they intend to pay will do it before I close my store for a few days. I have extended handling, so I never get dinged late shipment.

C.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

"...and told the buyer to repurchase when he had sufficient funds available to him."

You should have changed that to, "....and repurchase from somebody else when you have sufficient funds available, because you're on my Blocked Buyers List now."

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:  ... With tomorrow being a holiday, a Monday shipment would be only one business day, would it not? If they paid tomorrow....

No, that's the whole problem: One-day handling means that you ship on the next business day. Payment on Thursday would mean shipping on Friday.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:  ... With tomorrow being a holiday, a Monday shipment would be only one business day, would it not? If they paid tomorrow....

No, that's the whole problem: One-day handling means that you ship on the next business day. Payment on Thursday would mean shipping on Friday.

I'm not sure about that. If you have one day handling and make a sale on a Saturday or Sunday what day does it need to be shipped to meet 1 day shipping?

Since Thursday is a holiday would it not be considered the same as a Sat/Sun holiday sale?

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote: .... If you have one day handling and make a sale on a Saturday or Sunday what day does it need to be shipped to meet 1 day shipping? ...

Monday.

One-day handling means that you ship on the next business day. If a buyer pays on Saturday or Sunday, then 1-day handling means that you ship on Monday.  

Message 29 of 29
latest reply