cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for adding to the confusion, ebay - Ending times

I look through my listings daily, sometimes several times a day, so that I can see what is getting traffic and maybe lower a price or two to generate a "price lowered" message from ebay.

This morning, I notice several items that DID have 19 days left... now showing 2 hours and a few minutes left. Apparently, eBay's solution to the GTC/30 day debacle is to "adjust" ending times as they see fit, further adding to the confusion for sellers. I know where items are in my selling list... but with this new thing, ebay is going to constantly be "re-ordering" our selling list.

I'm completely worn down by eBay's garbage. I'm barely getting any sales, which means bills are piling up, the stress level is through the roof, and it's almost to the point where it's not cost effective to be here. In 2 months, if this pattern holds, I'll be paying ebay more to be here than what I sell.

It's such a shame that greedy execs destroyed the (once) greatest e-commerce site there was.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@hioctane62 wrote:

So I gather after they get done shuffling the deck this month I can get used to the new order that ebay decided my items should be in?

You are trying to make this seem as if it is an Ebay problem when it is not.  Seller's asked for this change and Ebay gave it to them.  It works as many sellers suggested that it should.  Some wanted listings to renew every 31 days, but others argued that it would put us in the same boat we were in at the time.  Some of us argued for a once a month renewal and that is what Ebay went with.  Personally I think it was the best and fairest way to go.

As Ebay said in the announcement.  They were going back to the ORIGINAL date the listing was posted to pull the posting date to use for future renewals.  For those that have had certain GTC listings up for a long time, this will result in some odd date ranges on the renewals like you are seeing on some of yours.  

All of these are in FAVOR OF THE SELLER as you can see with yours.  It is a one month bonus and next month it will settle into an even flow.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

I'd really appreciate some confirmation/clarification on this happening. Ebay seems to have absolutely NO regard for how their actions affect sellers.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

I haven't had this particular thing happen to my listings - but I'll be sure to keep an extra watch on them in case it does happen. Thanks

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

i haven't seen it in my listings either, so far...

... but i do think it would work as a ploy by ebay to generate listing fees if it pushes the list and relist dates into the same month.... i wouldn't put it past them (trust is earned, and ebay no longer earns that trust ... so i am very pessimistic now, but still hope things get better!)

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Of the ones that they pushed forward, some have renewed with 36 days, some with 39 days, etc. They are literally shuffling the deck on my "all selling" page when using the usual "ending soonest" sort. Seems like the ending soonest sort may be obsolete in eBay's little world.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

July is the only month sellers will see a benefit of a few extra days on some listings when they renew.  After this month it will remain the same day each month that any given listing renews as long as it is active.  So for some sellers they are getting a little bonus with the additional days.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

So I gather after they get done shuffling the deck this month I can get used to the new order that ebay decided my items should be in?

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

You are trying to make this seem as if it is an Ebay problem when it is not.  Seller's asked for this change and Ebay gave it to them.  It works as many sellers suggested that it should.  Some wanted listings to renew every 31 days, but others argued that it would put us in the same boat we were in at the time.  Some of us argued for a once a month renewal and that is what Ebay went with.  Personally I think it was the best and fairest way to go.

As Ebay said in the announcement.  They were going back to the ORIGINAL date the listing was posted to pull the posting date to use for future renewals.  For those that have had certain GTC listings up for a long time, this will result in some odd date ranges on the renewals like you are seeing on some of yours.  

All of these are in FAVOR OF THE SELLER as you can see with yours.  It is a one month bonus and next month it will settle into an even flow.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

I'll go along with that, but the original posting date is not what they are using on these particular listings. I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm sure I'll be fine with it once the dust settles.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

OK... I think I understand now. The listing durations they are re-listing at align them to renew on or near the original posting date NEXT month. Sorry, it took me a few minutes and your and others explanations for me to see it. It IS confusing, but most of what ebay does is, so... confounded

Thanks for enlightening me.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

OK... I think I understand now. The listing durations they are re-listing at align them to renew on or near the original posting date NEXT month. Sorry, it took me a few minutes and your and others explanations for me to see it. It IS confusing, but most of what ebay does is, so... confounded

Thanks for enlightening me.

Not a problem at all.  I completely understand why it wasn't setting in your mind.  Sometimes it does just take a bit of time looking at it and sitting with it for awhile for it to start making sense in our minds.  I'm very glad I was able to assist you.  And now you can relax and take at least one worry off your worry list.  

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

I'd really appreciate some confirmation/clarification on this happening. Ebay seems to have absolutely NO regard for how their actions affect sellers.

Hi @hioctane62, I'm happy to clarify that the information @mam98031 provided is correct. The August renewal date is based off of the original date the item was listed on the site. August will be an odd month as far as renewal dates are concerned. Sorry for the confusion this has caused! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 44
latest reply

I'm pretty sure the GTC debacle is entirely Ebay's fault.  

I don't recall ANY sellers asking Ebay to make THAT change. 

They didn't think through the ramifications to sellers , such as paying twice in one month for a listing.   Now, they are trying to make a correction.  

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

@webwanna wrote:

I'm pretty sure the GTC debacle is entirely Ebay's fault.  

I don't recall ANY sellers asking Ebay to make THAT change. 

They didn't think through the ramifications to sellers , such as paying twice in one month for a listing.   Now, they are trying to make a correction.  

OMG, just search the threads.  IT was everywhere when shortly after Ebay announced the change to FP listings.  I don't know how you missed it.

But with that said.  It is here now and it will benefit sellers.  Just a slight learning curve as it implements, then after that smooth sailing.

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Isn't it amazing how some "informed" ebayer comes on and responds that this new GTC is the best thing since sliced bread when responses are not this "pie-in -the sky" that they make it out to be. Sounds like they are on the ebay payroll, ya think?? bubba
Message 15 of 44
latest reply