cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes.....

I hope everyone is having a good day.

I know that eBay automatically collects sales taxes on sales. What I would like to find out is this....if this is my only source of sales, do I need to file any sales tax reports with the state (Ohio) since eBay collected the taxes from the sales as they happened? Since they are the ones collecting those taxes, does that mean that I do not have to do anything?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Taxes.....

I live in Ohio as well... Ebay does all the sales tax paperwork, so I don't have to do any of that quarterly stuff or register my "business"

In years past, I had to file with the state I was living in, but not any longer

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Taxes.....

Correct. You need do nothing. 

ebay got it right with this.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

I live in Ohio as well... Ebay does all the sales tax paperwork, so I don't have to do any of that quarterly stuff or register my "business"

In years past, I had to file with the state I was living in, but not any longer

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

Nope eBay handles that. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

Yes, eBay pays the sales taxes directly to Ohio for you... you don't have to do anything.

However, if you have what is commonly known as a "sales tax reseller permit" with a governmental entity in your state, you may have to file one anyhow, but not have to actually pay your in-state sales taxes from your online sales.

I live in Idaho and have an Idaho State Tax Commission Seller Permit. When eBay started paying my Idaho sales taxes for me, I called the Commission and asked them how to handle the change and my requirement to file my quarterly return. I was told to not include on the form any online taxes that eBay and Amazon already paid for me, but continue to file it anyway in order to keep it active in case I want to use it for sales tax reporting for any future shows, markets, or garage sales I may participate in. So since I only use it for online sales currently, I filled mine out with all zeroes in it. That way I kept it active for any possible future use other than online sales.

This may or may not affect you, and the procedure may or may not be the same in your state. But if you do have some form of "resale permit", it would be a good idea to call the state and get clarification on your responsibilities.

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

what @duffy4444 said....

I also live in Ohio, but I do have a Vendors License and am required to file Sales Tax Returns every quarter. (I maintain the license for a "tax-exempt resale" certificate to make business purchases tax-free)

Assuming all the gross sales are generated from ebay, I file a "0.00" return. It seems pretty stupid, but it is required to maintain the valid certificate........

I would venture to say you do not have a business license of any sort (from your city or county) so the sales tax is a non-issue for you.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

@monica-sells wrote:

what @duffy4444 said....

I also live in Ohio, but I do have a Vendors License and am required to file Sales Tax Returns every quarter. (I maintain the license for a "tax-exempt resale" certificate to make business purchases tax-free)

Assuming all the gross sales are generated from ebay, I file a "0.00" return. It seems pretty stupid, but it is required to maintain the valid certificate........

I would venture to say you do not have a business license of any sort (from your city or county) so the sales tax is a non-issue for you.

Greetings, @monica-sells:

Exactly. Mine also has all zeroes in it unless I use it for my wife's craft fairs or other shows. I have also been approved by the State of Idaho to have to file only once a year instead of quarterly because of low or no entries. That removes a burden every quarter, and takes me only about 15 minutes to put in all zeroes and file it online.

My wife and I also use it to make business purchases tax-free. We've saved a lot of sales tax by doing so, and can often purchase items for resale with huge wholesale discounts that way.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

I am in New York and still have to file a zero sales tax return ..

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

I am in NY too and I just filed it last week. ALL zeros.  P.S.  The deadline to file in NY was March 20, 2022.  If you failed to file on time, it's a 50.oo fine.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

Understanding the tax implications of a personal real estate corporation in Ontario is crucial for responsible financial management. Whether it's capital gains, property taxes, or income tax considerations, being well-versed in the tax landscape is vital. Seeking professional advice to optimize your tax strategy ensures compliance and can lead to potential savings for your personal real estate corporation in Ontario.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Taxes.....

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply