cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes on discount postage.. who do i call to remove

Hi, one of our clients lives in Indiana and purchased discount postage and was charged tax, postage is not a taxable item. who do i call to get them to take it off......Thanks..

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

@hgitner wrote:

"lacemaker the list # was (404100538208)..

Thanks. I checked a bunch of listings in that category: Stamps > United States > Postage (#47149) 
and they all were being charged sales tax, so eBay considers that category to be taxable. It appears to me that most of the listings in that category are for collectible stamps, not intended to be used for postage.

I don't know whether eBay has any other category that could be used for stamps that are intended to be used for postage, which might not be considered taxable. But, given all the counterfeit stamps that have flooded the market in the last few years, I think that eBay may not want to have this kind of headache.

The buyer can contact eBay and ask them to refund the sales tax if he believes he was charged sales tax incorrectly.

The rules on what is taxable or tax-exempt from sales tax are defined by each state, so the situation here is probably very complex. I found an example of a guidance letter from California, discussing the sale of stamps, which suggests that while stamps purchased to be used as postage are exempt from sales tax, that may not be the case if the stamps are purchased as collectibles (tangible personal property). The letter doesn't really get any more specific than this.

As I said before, eBay considers that category to be taxable, so they apparently consider that all items in that category are being sold as collectibles, not for use as postage.

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/lawguides/annotations/430-0228-200.pdf

image.png

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@hgitner wrote:

We don't charge shipping

hogwash

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@hgitner wrote:

"lacemaker the list # was (404100538208)..

Thanks. I checked a bunch of listings in that category: Stamps > United States > Postage (#47149) 
and they all were being charged sales tax, so eBay considers that category to be taxable. It appears to me that most of the listings in that category are for collectible stamps, not intended to be used for postage.

I don't know whether eBay has any other category that could be used for stamps that are intended to be used for postage, which might not be considered taxable. But, given all the counterfeit stamps that have flooded the market in the last few years, I think that eBay may not want to have this kind of headache.

The buyer can contact eBay and ask them to refund the sales tax if he believes he was charged sales tax incorrectly.

The rules on what is taxable or tax-exempt from sales tax are defined by each state, so the situation here is probably very complex. I found an example of a guidance letter from California, discussing the sale of stamps, which suggests that while stamps purchased to be used as postage are exempt from sales tax, that may not be the case if the stamps are purchased as collectibles (tangible personal property). The letter doesn't really get any more specific than this.

As I said before, eBay considers that category to be taxable, so they apparently consider that all items in that category are being sold as collectibles, not for use as postage.

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/lawguides/annotations/430-0228-200.pdf

image.png

@hgitner 

It's not up to you to be concerned about the sales tax paid by the buyer. The buyer's own state department of revenue is who determines taxability of various categories of items so it would be up to the buyer to fight the charge and possible get an abatement from her state. 

How the buyer proves that he/she will be using (sometimes) 50-year old stamps on their outgoing mail as opposed to saving them as a collector is going to be tough to prove. 

But it's not for you to deal with. 

As for the CA statute posted by @lacemaker3 , it sounds like an interesting workaround for buyers to avoid sales tax by claiming to be collecting unused stamps rather than using them! And I have little doubt that states are aware of the workaround and by default, collect sales tax. They leave it to buyers to prove they are collectors.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

As for the CA statute posted by @lacemaker3 , it sounds like an interesting workaround for buyers to avoid sales tax by claiming to be collecting unused stamps rather than using them! And I have little doubt that states are aware of the workaround and by default, collect sales tax. They leave it to buyers to prove they are collectors.

@albertabrightalberta, I think you have misunderstood that guidance letter that I posted. It was written to someone who was asking why some stores were charging tax on stamps, and some were not.

As I interpreted it, it seems to say that stamps purchased to be used as postage, are not taxable, and the wording I quoted implies that stamps purchased "for purposes of collecting those stamps" would be subject to sales tax.

There's more in the letter that did not seem relevant to eBay purchases; for example, apparently if the stamps are sold in a vending machine, then they are subject to sales tax. That seems like a strange thing for the state to do, but it does make it clear that the taxability may depend on how the stamps are being sold.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

we did not charge shipping on that order!

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

The original post:  "Hi, one of our clients lives in Indiana and purchased discount postage and was charged tax, postage is not a taxable item. who do i call to get them to take it off."

My second reply to the OP.  
Looks like these stamps are actually taxable after all.  
As other people have pointed out, payment of sales tax is the responsibility of the buyer, not the seller.  (Not you.)
If the buyer thinks he/she was incorrectly taxed, it is his/her responsibility to (try to) prove that to their state's taxing authority.  

However -- way back, whenever it was, that eBay started collecting sales tax, after the Supreme Court decision that required them to do that, many, many sellers posted here that they thought that practice was improper, illegal, immoral, distasteful, sinful, fattening, greedy and probably a few other negative adjectives.   What some of those sellers said they chose to do was to send their buyers a refund of the amount of the sales tax.   Obviously, such a refund came out of the seller's profits.

Indiana has a sales tax of 7%.  On a $610 sale, 7% comes to $42.70.  
Not telling you what to do, of course; just doing some math for you.  

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

The buyer asked me for help which is why i am reaching out... the stamps were sold to ship with... we use stamps to do all our shipping.... we are a stamp ( Philatelic Co ) company..... 

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@hgitner wrote:

The buyer asked me for help which is why i am reaching out... the stamps were sold to ship with... we use stamps to do all our shipping.... we are a stamp ( Philatelic Co ) company..... 

Have none of your sales of stamps ever been charged sales tax?

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

mostly never, when they do charge the buyer handled it and got it off.... This buyer asked me for help...

i'd say 95% are not charged..... we have been selling stamps for postage for a very long time.....

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

when we sell collectable stamps, or sheets we are charged tax and thats fine.... but in the "postage" category to be used they do not charge

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

What category did you use?

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

I think I saw the answer (I, too, am very customer oriented and want to help a customer)

BUT...I do not think there is anything YOU can do....it is up to the buyer to "PROVE" that they purchase is tax-exempt in their locale.....I buy a lot under a blanket exemption for resale, and occasionaly have to present the certificate to an entity to get a refund of sales tax...but always PRIOR to payment......

Once it is paid, it is very tough to get a refund from anywhere

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@hgitner wrote:

when we sell collectable stamps, or sheets we are charged tax and thats fine.... but in the "postage" category to be used they do not charge

@hgitner 

So the stamps included in the sale in question were for "postage," and not for "collecting?" Is that what your saying?

I did notice the "face value" said $400 in the item specifics you completed and $1,000 in the title and description you wrote. Which of those two figures was correct?

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

postage

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

no my error.... it was a face value of $1000, we sold for $610 free shipping......I made a mistake with the item specifies...... the stamps that we sell as discount are usable stamps... not stamps you would collect...

Message 30 of 43
latest reply