cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

I saw this post on the M2M board ...

Screenshot (1602).png

I agree 110% that "used" items, collectibles, antiques, etc ... meaning any thing that isn't "current and new" should NOT be subject to sales tax.  The sales tax was paid at the original point of purchase (except in Delaware) so the state got their cut then ... charging tax again on these items is at a minimum Double Taxation ... time to throw something other then Tea into the Boston Harbor ... can I get an "Amen?"

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 78
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

Amen! I agree with you.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

Sorry that I have to disagree with you; however, the state sales tax is charged on the TRANSACTION not on the item itself.

And have you never shopped at a Goodwill or other thrift store? An antique store?

Bought a used car? The state sales tax is charged on the TRANSACTION.

If you want to strongly pursue your feeling, you can start with your state legislature or the US Supreme Court.

Message 2 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

I am a fighter type of a person who likes to fight injustice for any and all reasons, even imaginary ones.

At one time I became very frustrated, seemed like the harder I fought the more I got beaten!

For that reason someone who saw my frustration levels once told me...

You should learn to pick the fights you can win, and stop battling those you can't.

Today I really try and follow that principle.

Doing so has greatly lowered my frustration levels.

Matter of fact I feel more satisfaction too.

It takes practice, I am not perfect but today when I get into a fight it's because experience tells me I can win it.

When I start to lose it may be time to reconsider and learn some more.

Simple, don't pick those fights you can't win.

So...

Please don't take this the wrong way but I believe you're fighting a battle you can't win.

Right or wrong, no matter how hard you fight, this is one we can't win.

Stop fighting this, and you'll feel better too.

Message 3 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

I don't think Mr Lincoln is fighting the battle - just agreeing with the concept - which I also agree with. We'll never change the law but I know more than one person that feels the same way and why bartering and trading is starting to make a comeback.

Message 4 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

@tunicaslot wrote:

I don't think Mr Lincoln is fighting the battle - just agreeing with the concept - which I also agree with. We'll never change the law but I know more than one person that feels the same way and why bartering and trading is starting to make a comeback.

I am thinking...

Selling new as used, tax free!

Message 5 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

In my state, we pay tax on flea market items, in antique/junk stores, at estate sales/auctions, and at garage sales, if the people holding the garage sale have over a certain number of them in a year. So I sure don't mind paying sales tax on online purchases.

The definition of "double taxation" involves an income tax principle, not sales tax. It's when a corporation is taxed on its income and then shareholders are taxed on that same income when they receive dividends. It has nothing to do with charging sales tax on the same item twice.
Message 6 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

@soh.maryl wrote:

Sorry that I have to disagree with you; however, the state sales tax is charged on the TRANSACTION not on the item itself.

And have you never shopped at a Goodwill or other thrift store? An antique store?

Bought a used car? The state sales tax is charged on the TRANSACTION.

If you want to strongly pursue your feeling, you can start with your state legislature or the US Supreme Court.

With out an"item" there is nothing to sell, therefore no transaction can occur ... therefore, I disagree with your disagreement.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

@tunicaslot wrote:

Just remember that even when you barter or trade the taxman has his hand in your pocket. You're supposed to declare the value of the "barter" as income.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 8 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

I shop at a charity store, and I am never charged tax. Goodwill is unrecognizable to me. They may as well be anystoreUSA. I prefer the "little old lady" thrift shops with a cobweb or two. And I support the kitchen table sellers on ebay as well. Still down to earth.
Message 9 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

@trukur_0 wrote:

I am a fighter type of a person who likes to fight injustice for any and all reasons, even imaginary ones.

At one time I became very frustrated, seemed like the harder I fought the more I got beaten!

For that reason someone who saw my frustration levels once told me...

You should learn to pick the fights you can win, and stop battling those you can't.

Today I really try and follow that principle.

Doing so has greatly lowered my frustration levels.

Matter of fact I feel more satisfaction too.

It takes practice, I am not perfect but today when I get into a fight it's because experience tells me I can win it.

When I start to lose it may be time to reconsider and learn some more.

Simple, don't pick those fights you can't win.

So...

Please don't take this the wrong way but I believe you're fighting a battle you can't win.

Right or wrong, no matter how hard you fight, this is one we can't win.

Stop fighting this, and you'll feel better too.

Reminds me of:

"I fight authority, authority always wins" : John Cougar Mellencamp

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 10 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

I also agree. In many cases it`s way more than paying the tax twice. On older, vintage items the item may have had many, many owners. When you get up into the larger items like cars, homes, etc. this equates to big money.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

Even if the tax on used went away, they will just make up for it by raising taxes somewhere else. Some states get along with no sales taxes afterall...

On the other hand, if there's a windfall of tax money (by legalizing gambling & pot in my state) the strategy is to earmark those funds for something specific, like parks or schools. Then they can still cry about needing more for the crumbling roads and bridges. 

Message 12 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

Good for you.  But the majority of states in the US charge state sales tax.  You must live in one that doesn't.  And yours also must be a state that has no GW or other thrift stores.  

Message 13 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

Just curious:  How does the state keep track of how many garage sales any one person has in a year and how do they know how much state sales tax to charge? So they charge it to the seller?

Message 14 of 78
latest reply

Taxed Twice M2M Thread

@hillbillymedia wrote:

I also agree. In many cases it`s way more than paying the tax twice. On older, vintage items the item may have had many, many owners. When you get up into the larger items like cars, homes, etc. this equates to big money.

True but the seller doesn't pay the tax, the buyer does.

The seller paid the tax when he was a buyer, but now he is the seller.

If I am the seller I only paid the tax when I bought the item.

Sellers do not pay the tax when selling, the buyer does.

Message 15 of 78
latest reply