cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax on shipping.

Under the new tax laws.Is there a tax on shipping if you include the shipping price in with the item price. In other words free shipping. Thanks.

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Tax on shipping.

@flight74722 wrote:

Look guys i am not trying to get anyone mad I am trying to understand. A customer buys from me. The customer pays for the item, plus my state sales tax. Do I pay any sales tax to there state, if I don't live in that state. This will be the end of my questions, thanks.

I only must collect sales tax from buyers that live in my state.  I have a tax number and remit that to my state.  Buyers from other states do not pay any sales tax to me.  Depending on their own state laws, they generally are supposed to pay a use tax to their own state for their purchases.

So no, you do not collect any tax from buyers outside of your own state. 

Message 46 of 75
latest reply

@flight74722 wrote:

One word answers? I came here for help. Though, you have been some what helpful. I will try to contact a CPA

That was not addressed to you, I was responding to the person who keeps posting unhelpful one-word answers.

I am very sorry for the confusion.

I really think that you would find it helpful to contact a CPA who is licensed in your state, to make sure that you are following the correct procedures. They can probalby explain this better in a face-to-face meeting than I can do here, especially with the unhelpful interruptions.

Message 47 of 75
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

@lacemaker3

Please provide the OP with the correct information.

Already done.

Message 48 of 75
latest reply

You live in CO, right? Then, CO is your nexus, unless you have stores or warehouses in other states. You can only charge sales tax on sales to buyers with shipping addresses your home state. That 2.9% gets paid to CO. No out of state buyers should owe CO anything.
Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 49 of 75
latest reply

Yeah, thanks. I was just trying to figure out what the process was from A to B I had not charged sales tax before. Then I was told that I would need to charge sales tax by the first of December. I was trying to findout about it. Thanks.

Message 50 of 75
latest reply

What about shipping address out of my state. Thanks

Message 51 of 75
latest reply

Why would you need to charge sales tax?

Message 52 of 75
latest reply

Is there an out of state sales tax. Ebay has it under sales tax where you list all states sales tax. from different states. Should I just list colorado sales tax, and none of the others.

Message 53 of 75
latest reply

@flight74722 wrote:

Is there an out of state sales tax. Ebay has it under sales tax where you list all states sales tax. from different states. Should I just list colorado sales tax, and none of the others.

Yes, that is correct. You should just list Colorado sales tax, because you live in Colorado.

eBay has other states listed, because some sellers are very large. Some big corporations ( like Overstock, and Toys R Us) sell things on eBay. They have to charge sales tax in many states, but most sellers don't. Most sellers only have to worry about sales tax for their own state, where they live.

Unless you have a big company, that has offices in a bunch of states, then you don't have to worry about collecting sales tax for other states. Just where you live in Colorado.

Message 54 of 75
latest reply

I think me and you have struck GOLD. Thank You. I will still try to contact a CPA to make sure. But I will remove all the  other states and leave Colorado 2,9 alone. Thanks.

Message 55 of 75
latest reply

@flight74722 wrote:

I think me and you have struck GOLD. Thank You. I will still try to contact a CPA to make sure. But I will remove all the  other states and leave Colorado 2,9 alone. Thanks.

Good plan! Go for it!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate, and I wish you and yours all the best in the New Year.

Message 56 of 75
latest reply

Do you have a Colorado sales tax permit?

If you don't, you aren't allowed to collect sales tax.

Message 57 of 75
latest reply

Yes, I was charging 2.9% to people in my own state. But not to people out of my state. Thanks.

Message 58 of 75
latest reply

@flight74722 wrote:

ebay uses one form for every seller on dot com.  Not all of them live in the same state.  Each seller ticks the box for THEIR state.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 59 of 75
latest reply

Do you have a Colorado sales tax permit?

Message 60 of 75
latest reply