cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUTORIAL: For Sellers Don't Know How To File A Search With USPS on Package

I've been seeing (and hearing) a lot of sellers asking what to do, or sellers who say "nothing I can do, just wait" - that is not true, you can do something, USPS (and all carriers) have channels for people to file for package search and it's easy, takes a few min instead of wandering ebay looking at posts/making threads, calling ebay, or USPS and being on hold for hours. 

1. Go to https://www.usps.com/  > right hand side hover mouse over "HELP" > select > "FAQ"
Search1.jpg

2. Next Page . Select: "Contact Us" 
Search2.jpg

3. Next page select > "Email Us"

Search3.jpg

4. Next page select > "Where Is My Package"

Search4.jpg
5. A window will pop up asking you for the tracking number > enter tracking > select "Next"
Search5.jpg
6. A new window will appear asking you for specific information pertaining to the package, fill out the needed/required information
Search6.jpg
7. Start with the top, "Tracking Issue Information" you will select from the 4 drop down options as shown in this image
Search7.jpg
8. Then proceed to the rest of the options, "Special Services" and "Contents of Mail" (they must be filled out). "Content of Mail" only provides a small short list of contents, if you contents is not listed select "Unknown" and the right arrow to bring the selection to the right side window. Directly Under that is "Dollar Value Of Item Mailed" That MUST be filled out (sale price of your item)
Search8.jpg
9. Options after leave blank unless the inquire is being filled out from package theft, go to bottom "Other Tracking Issues" and write as shown in example:
Search9.jpg
10. Select "Next" - new page, fill in all the address info (sender & recipient)
Search10.jpg
11. Click "Next" now you'll need to fill in YOUR information again (this is the contact portion)
Search11.jpg
12. After you submit, you'll get confirmation window, close, your done, an email will be sent (usually immediately) to your email you provided, this is a email confirmation with the search inquire #, save it, you'll need it, if you open several searches on various packages, make sure to write each down with item/tracking number/date package sent/service of mail...
Search12.jpg

After you open the search, tracking on the ebay tracking for the item will show that a search was created on the package...you won't see this at USPS tracking, but on ebay when you click on the tracking number...this the buyer will see and ebay, but remember communication with the buyer should also take place, explain your watching and opened a search cause it's late...most buyers will be happy your taking care of it.

Lately post masters the original search go to have been closing the cases after 15 min or so after you open them (because they are lazy and don't want to search, just use covid as excuse to close your request), repeat this tutorial, but this time, when you start and they ask for tracking you'll enter it and they will say a case already was created and ask if you want to escalate (not exact words) - select yes, no need to fill everything out again. This brings a new case search inquire number - you'll get a new email with that new number, save it. This escalates the case to higher authorities within USPS and post master can't just close the request like did before and they need to actually search for the package. 

If that case closes and no movement on package within a day or so, file "Missing Mail" report, found under the "FAQ's" but under "Missing Mail" walk yourself through the steps (it's a little different then the search inquire did before). This goes to separate unit in DC, all they do is find missing mail, takes awhile to hear from them, usually, before you do package will be found and start to move/be delivered but it's good to file in escalated case does nothing. 

If still nothing, and the package was insured, file insurance claim with USPS, almost certainly they will then find and deliver - they don't want to pay out and you have 15 days from date of package being excepted to file for insurance with USPS on Priority mail (and up to 60 days after). 

Hope this helps...bye 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I've just been filing lost mail reports. They seem to be working as all but two of the eight I've filed have been delivered. One is still in transit and is now after three weeks in the destination city (yay!), one left my PO on the 4th and hasn't been seen since. (I had the buyer file an INR so I could refund her).

https://missingmail.usps.com/

When you file the missing mail report, if you know you are going to be refunding you can have the package - if found -  sent back to you instead of the addressee.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I've just been filing lost mail reports. They seem to be working as all but two of the eight I've filed have been delivered. One is still in transit and is now after three weeks in the destination city (yay!), one left my PO on the 4th and hasn't been seen since. (I had the buyer file an INR so I could refund her).

https://missingmail.usps.com/

When you file the missing mail report, if you know you are going to be refunding you can have the package - if found -  sent back to you instead of the addressee.

Yeah, but no, I already had this month, I filed for missing mail, but also ordered package interception, which USPS closed because took while for package to get to buyer (sent on Nov 30th, arrived buyer Dec 21st, Priority Mail refunded buyer on Dec 9th (before ebay issued the extended protection on shipping for sellers)...buyer got package, went to post office, refused package, package being sent back to me - no charge (supposidly...waiting for it come and they charge me though). The fun of December ebay selling 😉 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

It's worth noting that when you file a 'where's my package', the postal center that gets back to you is often the buyer's PO & not the one you dropped the package off at so a lot of the time, they'll tell you they'll keep tabs but can't do much since it hasn't reach them yet (if there *is* tracking updating, they'll just end up repeating what you see in your own tracking - you can ask for internal tracking but often, it's about the same). I've had a few nice ones say that if the buyer has questions, they're welcome to call/contact them & they'll explain the exact thing they just explained to you.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@timelord_science wrote:

It's worth noting that when you file a 'where's my package', the postal center that gets back to you is often the buyer's PO & not the one you dropped the package off at so a lot of the time, they'll tell you they'll keep tabs but can't do much since it hasn't reach them yet (if there *is* tracking updating, they'll just end up repeating what you see in your own tracking - you can ask for internal tracking but often, it's about the same). I've had a few nice ones say that if the buyer has questions, they're welcome to call/contact them & they'll explain the exact thing they just explained to you.

not true, I've opened 15 cases, 15 packages found and delivered few days later. 

Yes, it goes to PO the recipient is at, why? because that's how USPS conducts searches, they start at the delivery post office and work their way back. But the post masters have been just closing the case very soon after open one and just use covid as excuse, that's why I said you then repeat this and it escalates the case to higher authorities... what else does this do? It automatically files a performance report with USPS on the post office that originally closed the case, they get too many of these "complaints" action is taken against that office. So no, it's not "worth nothing" - knowing how USPS operates and how to talk to them goes a long way! 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@timelord_science wrote:

It's worth noting that when you file a 'where's my package', the postal center that gets back to you is often the buyer's PO & not the one you dropped the package off at so a lot of the time, they'll tell you they'll keep tabs but can't do much since it hasn't reach them yet.

One of my sellers filed a package search for an item that was "stuck," and the seller said my post office had called her back and said they'd called the postal facility that had completed the last scan. Maybe it was coincidence, but the package started moving again and arrived in a few days. 

So, if a post office employee says they "can't do much," that's not accurate. They "won't do much" might be more the case.

@nuclearomen 

Thanks for taking the time to research and prepare this post. I think it's helpful for buyers and sellers alike, since buyers can't describe the package or perhaps lack some of the other information to complete the screens to the best advantage.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Agree with pburn, OP that was mighty nice of you to post all this info I know it took some time. Thank you!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I said it was worth noting; I didn't say it was worth nothing. 🙃

I've never had any packages update due to the 'where's my package' or filing missing packages claims (probably in the last 5 years but maybe I'm just not lucky with the postal system). I did, however, get to talk to a lot of friendly postal workers and also learn about the system.

I just didn't want people filing claims to be surprised that they'd be getting calls from the buyer's PO and not their local one. My friend is a carrier out in Sacramento and says he gets a lot of confused people when this happens/they ask him about it when he drops mail off.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@timelord_science oh, sorry, mis-read your post, all's good though. 

Searches do help packages moving, but like said, many post masters are just closing as soon as they open and just using covid as excuse. I've dealt with USPS for years for other companies and for my own business. If a package is few days late, no reason to file search, missing mail etc... because nothing this time of year will typically be delivered by expected date (this has happened every year, it's just worse this year with the covid and then record sales for Black Friday/cyber Monday made it worse), it's the packages that have been in transit 2-3-4 weeks that need attention, many of those are the ones sitting while others are flying through the system or they took one scan 2 weeks and since nothing. USPS will see that and usually try to find/get the package moving, especially depending on the service mailed. 

The best thing is to be nice in your words to USPS, they don't like nor need someone yelling etc... and certainly won't rush to help anyone that way. If anything doing the search helps show your customer you at least aware, watching and trying to do what you can. All have for me anyways. Someone opens a INR there is not much you can do to prevent it, it will happen, the more sales/packages you have the more likely it does. So talking to them before that usually helps avoid it. But I had one package was 1 day late and buyer opened INR... I refused refund because the package was 2 hrs away from them and ebay backed me up on it, they got it 3 days later and case closed.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

But what if the origin office never scanned the package?   I've opened (and reopened) a case only to have both closed because tracking looks like they never even got it.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Timelord is right.  I get calls from the buyer's post office and the package has not arrived or is "transitioning".  I go a step further, I contact and fill out a report with the USPO Office of Inspector General.  Sometimes I will even drop a post card to the distribution center in the buyer's state.  All this takes time and effort, but the point is to get the package moving.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It's also worth noting that the packages that get "hung up" the most are first class and parcel select.  If the package is Priority mail or AMZ, it gets first priority.  If it's Express Overnight, there's no problem with lateness.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

It's also worth noting that the packages that get "hung up" the most are first class and parcel select.  If the package is Priority mail or AMZ, it gets first priority.  If it's Express Overnight, there's no problem with lateness.

use to be, but USPS will tell you (and I can too with my shipments) that Priority and First Class are being delayed as well for USPS, I had one First Class take over 16 days to deliver... just one, but that is still longtime. One reason is people have said + the post office pushes Priority service (of course) "want it there by xx/xx/xx date" so they were flooded with Priority service and of course that will bog things down. I never send parcel (ground) so i don't how they have been. Want to know the real funny part? Media Mail which is suppose to take longest, has been flying through the system, most all packages I've sent media have been delivered on/before expected date and week or so sooner then Priority for most packages. I had 2 that took longer then expected, both were going to NJ and NY and 1 that went fast til hit MA still sitting in MA since the 21st...but Media mail, if it is under 15 days since acceptance date USPS will just close search because they require 15 days min to open search on media mail... expected of course...but not one buyer with media mail has complained, my vinyl buyers are super understanding and expect it to take a while.

AMZ does fly through the system seems... but guess that's another discussion. Overnight too, but for what you pay, it better lol, I was behind someone at post office last week who sent over night... whooping $132 they had to pay... wow... that's pretty expensive! 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

Timelord is right.  I get calls from the buyer's post office and the package has not arrived or is "transitioning".  I go a step further, I contact and fill out a report with the USPO Office of Inspector General.  Sometimes I will even drop a post card to the distribution center in the buyer's state.  All this takes time and effort, but the point is to get the package moving.

interesting... never did that but likely just as when you escalate cases they go to higher then the post office post masters. But for most part doing search has typically helped for me, now and then need to escalate cases when post masters just close them. I don't like to make search inquires unless the package is at least 5 days late or no scans have happened on the package since drop off at post office (had several like that)... USPS is flooded with search inquires use to take 24-72 hrs to have someone contact you and clear up the issue, it can take 7 days now because they have so many cases. But still in point, you pay for a service, that service has an expected delivery date, it likely won't be there by that date for all packages, but postal rates keep going up (and USPS raised the rates for holiday season) and we aren't getting any breaks on price for delayed services... so I don't feel too bad when I do open searches. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@zombiereign wrote:

But what if the origin office never scanned the package?   I've opened (and reopened) a case only to have both closed because tracking looks like they never even got it.

that's a different issue... you can file a search request but they will just close it with the reason of "USPS is not in possession of item/never received package"... you have to actually call USPS and be on hold for few hours (unless they give you call back option...which lately they haven't)...and talk to agent. Hopefully you have receipt to prove the drop off or pick up or scan sheet for bulk shipment... USPS doesn't have a online form for this... you have to call. If your a business that has daily post office pick ups with a semi, you can call the post master at your local office directly, usually business' get a direct phone number to their post master.

If it hasn't been scanned either it's still sitting on the semi or they went through the distribution facility and on a truck to the next never scanned it at all. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply