cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THRIFT STORE BUYER/RESELLER? - HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED RUDELY BECAUSE OF IT?

I have, multiple times.  I am not sure why the discrimination but it's real.  Most thrifts are fine and realise that what we don't resell, likely gets donated right back to them. It's a constant source of income, even in the slowest months.

Any one else been treated less than courteous manner when shopping the thrift stores just for the simple reason they know you are a reseller?  Please share your experiences.  Happened to me again today.  I will be calling the director of operations tomorrow when I've calmed down.slight_frown

Message 1 of 416
latest reply
415 REPLIES 415

Re: THRIFT STORE BUYER/RESELLER? - HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED RUDELY BECAUSE OF IT?

@lintbrush* wrote:

@stonevintage wrote:

When you go into a thrift, go to the clothing dept and grab a mens or ladies robe. Use it to drape/cover your cart until you're done shopping - then put it back and proceed to checkout.  Smiley Wink

I thought you were going to say "wear it" and let people think you're a bit of a nutter so they'll leave you be.  I'm sure a robe and maybe some gregorian chanting would work

@lintbrush* No, not Gregorian Chant. THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-RsB4a4ogc

Message 271 of 416
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

yuzuha - same here. The thrift across the alley from my house just shut down to Sun/Mon... not just Sun like the rest.  They are the ones that caused me to post this topic.  

It's a shame to see a store fail when they should have everything going for it.  Three thrifts within 100 feet of each other adjoining a public parking lot but this one's in deep trouble.  They started turning down donations 8 weeks ago. I talked to a couple of guys over the years that were hired to take donations, fired after 4 weeks with no explaination.

Lots of stuff going out the back door, accused me of stealing! Harassment by the manager, prices too high... all the hallmarks.  Sorry to see but they really torqued me.  They need a new manager asap.

I wouldn't say this one is in trouble by any means-- it always has plenty of shoppers whenever I stop by and they seem to have a pretty good turnover of merchandise.  Their only problem seems to be when they get too many donations of a certain type of thing and then can't move them out as fast as they're getting them in.  They had a similar issue with books a few months back so they stopped accepting book donations for a while, but now they're back to taking them again.

Message 272 of 416
latest reply

Lol - when I was working at a thrift.  A middle aged lady  pulled up in a new minivan.  She looked around for a while then approached me about the military uniform I had priced at 49.99.

She said she  thought that was too high and I explained to her that the resale value was in the metals attached to the uniform.  We got busy, I was the only one on the sales floor and she left.  

I found the military uniform in a dressing room... minus all the metals.scream

Message 273 of 416
latest reply

@copper.boom

hahahaha I totally forgot about that, and I love that show!!!

It would definitely work but they might call in the authorities to bring you back to the ward.

Message 274 of 416
latest reply

stonevintage wrote: 

I found the military uniform in a dressing room... minus all the metals.scream

😞 😞

I have to say, Stone, this is a great thread you started. So many topics spurted off of your initial post and a lot of different points of view have come into play. I've found it to be very interesting.

Message 275 of 416
latest reply

thanks Copper:)  Just a post like any other, but this one - love the way it's simply sharing among us "hunters":) Hats off to all the postersheart

Message 276 of 416
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@stonevintage wrote:

When you go into a thrift, go to the clothing dept and grab a mens or ladies robe. Use it to drape/cover your cart until you're done shopping - then put it back and proceed to checkout.  Smiley Wink

I thought you were going to say "wear it" and let people think you're a bit of a nutter so they'll leave you be.  I'm sure a robe and maybe some gregorian chanting would work

I start coughing uncontrollably like I have the plague really loudly, trying to make it seem as contagious as possible!

Message 277 of 416
latest reply

In my earlier days (like 52) - I'd have times where I just couldn't sleep.  From time to time, I'd just say heck with it and walk across the street to have a glass of wine to see if that would make me sleepy.

I knew everyone, patrons, bartenders and bartendresses all neighborhood folk.  No one thought anything of it.  No robe, just flannel pj's.  One night, Mr Prim & Proper came in and sat next to me and just about blew a gasket cause it was May and I was there in Christmas motif PJ's (Rocky & Bullwinkle).   He called me every name in the book as his wife quietly took up occupancy of a far corner of the place.  

I didn't say a word... they threw him out and bolted the door behind them. Just us locals.:)  No moral... just funnylaughing but sometimes we all get along, dispite our differences and it's wonderful.

Message 278 of 416
latest reply

emerald40 wrote:

"I have posted this before and got grief over it. I thought the items I donated were actually going to the people who needed it. When I found out that was not true, I stopped donating - and that goes for resellers and the staff who take the better items."

Donations are for charity. They never have handed the items donated to people in need. They use the money made to help people. It's all the same in the end.
Message 279 of 416
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I got an eyeful reading here.

After many donations, someone actually called me and asked why I stopped donating.  I gave them an earful.  They have not called me since.

I now donate to a local Church or Temple.

Telling you one thing and doing another would be frustrating to deal with.   Hurtful, I imagine.  You are still donating.  It's all good. 

Message 280 of 416
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

I have posted this before and got grief over it.

I thought the items I donated were actually going to the people who needed it.  When I found out that was not true, I stopped donating - and that goes for resellers and the staff who take the better items.

i don't get your post...

well i could see having a problem with employees having first pick...

i see it happening in every thrift i shop at.

most times they don't even pay for the merchandise.

but why would you have a problem with resellers buying your items?

resellers paying the same price than any other customers?

not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand your reasoning...

i mean are you not a reseller yourself?

perhaps i misunderstood your reply...

My problem is that when I called Goodwill they told me something that was a total lie.

Also, if you are going to sell to resellers then price accordingly.  If they are paying $, and making $$$, then someone is not pricing these items correctly,

Not sure about anyone else, but I donate to help the less fortuunate, not to fund someone's ebay business.

but what would the less fortunate do with antiques and collectibles?

the less fortunate want something to use, something cheap and practical.

what would a less fortunate person do with a Grueby tile or a pair of gold earrings with diamonds? (just an example).

beside profiting from it if they ever found out what they just bought?

when you donate stuff to the GW, how can the store manager guarantee who is going to buy your donated items?

do you expect them to interview the buyers?

unless you suspect monkey business?

if i am not mistaken you are a reseller and sell jewelry, right?

how could you run your business if all thrifts priced jewelry accordingly to the fact you are a reseller?

i know i can't sell fine jewelry for nothing on ebay.

i have been trying to sell a few gold pieces and am going nowhere.

and i barely want a little more than the scrap value.

so no... i cannot pay high prices because i am a reseller.

i am glad i have the knowledge i have.

i didn't steal the knowledge i have.

i have been buying since the 1990s.

it's been a lot of buying and errors (you can trust me on that).

so to say that thrifts should price stuff accordingly to the fact that i am a reseller hurts my feelings.

i shouldn't have to pay more than someone else... it took me close to 30 years to know what i know and i am still learning every day... i shouldn't be penalized for my knowledge... i paid many $ for it...

i am a reseller but how do you know i am not 1 of the less fortunate persons?

because i can tell you, i am...

i really don't understand your reasoning...

letoulousain
Message 281 of 416
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
If you want to really see vultures try a GW Outlet when fresh bins get rolled out - lordy.

oh boy.... i did once back in 2010 in ABQ NM...

I never went back...

as soon as the door were opened people just ran into the store, like 100s.

they all started digging into the black bins, throwing stuff left/right/in front of them.

some guy through a computer monitor in front of him hitting a little girl.

he even didn't flinch...

just kept on digging into his bin...

i just left...

letoulousain
Message 282 of 416
latest reply

I have to confess I did that at an estate sale one time which had all the items in a barn, it was sealed lego's from the early 90's and the company running the sale let people crowd around instead of roping off the area for a line, so I basically had to run if I was going to get what I came for because 40 people were basically in the same position as me even though I got there first.

Message 283 of 416
latest reply

Many experience difficulties at a Thrift store, perhaps not with how the store people view us, but what  our approach as reseller buyers is.  Part of the problem may be how you as a reseller act within a Thrift Store.. or charity sale... or even an estate sale environment

Many times  I have talked with people/shoppers looking for something unique and have helped them to find something..  or indicated to them  where it might be found...

and ...... many times I have gained a benefit from doing so.....  maybe not that day but at some times a future date.

I talk to volunteers at a charity sale... to volunteers at a hospital foundation sale.... and then over time they remember me... and we all win.....  I help them find a price... and then one time  a volunteer reduced the prices at a charity sale...  specifically for me... as  I bought a series of books... valuable books.. Bought 10 books... total of $100   and then    eventually all priced by me at close to $1000.

and then I helped them with a unique volume... they had priced at $8....  Told them  it was valuable and sold on line  starting at $125  and up to over $400....  They repriced the book at $75..... I then  went home and prepared a special tag for the book  ...placed on the book  the second day of the sale.  The book sold for $75  on the third day of the sale.

I have helped the people at the sale with pricing... and they gain.. We all benefit

An older woman explains to a volunteer  that she is looking for a specific series of books... a three-volume set....  and while they talk  I find  all three books in the set and the woman leaves happily.

I was at a church sale....  saw someone pick up a very interesting book... We had a short discussion... and then within 20 minutes... that person chooses not to buy the book, finds me and gives me the book...  a true win for me

Cashiers talk to me....    They remember me...  and I talk with them...  always in a positive friendly way

and when they ask what I do with the books I buy.

My response.... Books make great doorstops....

and than after a few seconds... I state....  Books keep the door to your brain from closing...

They remember me... I talk with them in a friendly manner .. and everyone wins

Message 284 of 416
latest reply

I visited thrift store alley in ABQ last year because I was thinking of moving there. It's a tough market. It's hard enough with a small population in your state, and the competition is fierce. One store had everything picked and only junk hit the shelves, but they were kind and gave to the poor. Another was very high priced and served a particular religious community, I'm sure you know which one. Another had some good stuff but there was so little meat on the bones it wouldn't be worth it to purchase at 75% of the value, too much risk with the way ebay can go. The dealers all came through in a mad rush and left just as quickly. Only one there that seemed to have any real potential was the restore, but it was picked clean too. Then there's the antique stores practically right across the street. I did a little better in NM at the large outdoor flea market. 

Message 285 of 416
latest reply