cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected spam account bidding on item

Selling an item like normal.  Getting bids like normal.  New bidder with account created less than a month ago and 0 rep bids, no biggie, I had one like this a few months ago and it turned out fine.  Other bidder makes a play to win item and loses against the auto bid of the new player.  The bid is now 30% higher than my buy it now price.  My concern is this is a fake account which is auto bidding to ridiculous amounts and wont end up actually paying for the item.  Is this common these days?  And aside from blocking the user after the fact, implementing buyer controls, and opening a case 48 hours after close, is there anything else to do/is eBay cracking down on fake accounts?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Suspected spam account bidding on item

@cadet_orange wrote:

Selling an item like normal.  Getting bids like normal.  New bidder with account created less than a month ago and 0 rep bids, no biggie, I had one like this a few months ago and it turned out fine.  Other bidder makes a play to win item and loses against the auto bid of the new player.  The bid is now 30% higher than my buy it now price.  My concern is this is a fake account which is auto bidding to ridiculous amounts and wont end up actually paying for the item.  Is this common these days?  

Well, it's a common tactic (bid shielding), though I don't know if it's more or less prevalent than it used to be.

The account of interest in your auction is not really the leader but the guy in second place, the one who's made all those bids in a purported attempt to get past the leader. He has made 12 bid retractions in his recent past (go to his Feedback page and select the Feedback as a Buyer tab to find his bid retraction count, right side of page about halfway down), and if he retracts his bids in this auction, the price for the zero-feedback current leader will collapse back down to $142.50 (the second-place bidder's high bid, plus one increment). (I think he'll have to retract no less than one hour from the end of the auction.)

While the current price is higher than whatever your BuyItNow price was, the BIN goes away when bids are received, so no one beyond the first bidder would have had the chance to buy it outright.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@cadet_orange wrote:

Selling an item like normal.  Getting bids like normal.  New bidder with account created less than a month ago and 0 rep bids, no biggie, I had one like this a few months ago and it turned out fine.  Other bidder makes a play to win item and loses against the auto bid of the new player.  The bid is now 30% higher than my buy it now price.  My concern is this is a fake account which is auto bidding to ridiculous amounts and wont end up actually paying for the item.  Is this common these days?  

Well, it's a common tactic (bid shielding), though I don't know if it's more or less prevalent than it used to be.

The account of interest in your auction is not really the leader but the guy in second place, the one who's made all those bids in a purported attempt to get past the leader. He has made 12 bid retractions in his recent past (go to his Feedback page and select the Feedback as a Buyer tab to find his bid retraction count, right side of page about halfway down), and if he retracts his bids in this auction, the price for the zero-feedback current leader will collapse back down to $142.50 (the second-place bidder's high bid, plus one increment). (I think he'll have to retract no less than one hour from the end of the auction.)

While the current price is higher than whatever your BuyItNow price was, the BIN goes away when bids are received, so no one beyond the first bidder would have had the chance to buy it outright.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@cadet_orange wrote:

My concern is this is a fake account which is auto bidding to ridiculous amounts and wont end up actually paying for the item. 

@cadet_orange: Just curious... I see the auction ended with the zero-feedback bidder winning. Did he pay?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Actually yes...  Which also concerned me for a little while, but eBay pushed the funds through (not the biggest fan of the new payment method but oh well) without issue too.  I cant complain about getting a much higher price.  I'm just hesitant around accounts that seem suspect.  Been burned as a seller and buyer with similar accounts.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

They never pay if they have 0 feedback in my experience.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply