cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

I have a copy of the memo back in March 2016 from Kelly Sigmon, USPS VP Retail & Customer Service that states All eBay prepaid parcels MUST receive an acceptance scan.

Today I presented 4 packages (which is a large amount for me...) and was refused a scan.  First the clerk cited a brand new memo from Washington DC, then I called the branch when I got home and spoke with the supervisor who said they are no longer required to do scans but if I wanted any done then I had to come in at 8 am...   So I really think there is no 'new memo' about the scans and that the post office is not following procedure.

In addition, the supervisor said that no packages, even those left on the counter, would be scanned locally and that the first scan wouldn't be until the main post office (in this case Cleveland).

Before I take this to any next steps, I am curious if anyone else has a post office that has suddenly refused to do scans, citing new procedures....  I suspect there aren't any new procedures but still checking 😉

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The whole point of online postage is to streamline the process, not add an extra layer.  For multiple parcels, senders are supposed to print the SCAN form, and USPS is supposed to scan the SCAN form.  I'm not sure I could complain about USPS not doing it's job when I'm not doing mine.

Umm it does take less time and definitely doesn't add an extra layer.  Having been behind people who have several packages that they are doing postage at the post office where it has to be weighed,class of mail chosen, pay, etc takes way more time then just scanning the same amount of packages in 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 16 of 58
latest reply

In fact I've had three packages scanned in, in less time then the person in front of me had one done there at the post office. 

I dont know about anyone else here but a repeat buyer fhat cost me less time then my other buyers would be a dream come true would be my favorite customers 

Post office should recognize that. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 17 of 58
latest reply

Hoping to figure out the scan sheet BUT to be lied to about some 'new' memo from Washington DC that just came out this week, well I am not too keen about that... In the end today, more time was spent trying explain why they don't need to do this than just doing it lol

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

I'd ask to SEE the memo from Washington. And if they can't produce it, well...

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

@sharonlpk wrote:

Hoping to figure out the scan sheet BUT to be lied to about some 'new' memo from Washington DC that just came out this week, well I am not too keen about that... In the end today, more time was spent trying explain why they don't need to do this than just doing it lol

When that happens, you know they are given you incorrect information.  Almost called it what I normally would but did not want an email from the moderatorSmiley Happy

David

Twnpopcards

Message 20 of 58
latest reply

@second-to-none22 wrote:

when packages are place in the drop box they are not scanned until they reach the destination.

Since the packages placed in the drop box and NOT segregated >> They get mixed the the mail stream with packages from over the counter >> Those packages will get scans as they pass thru sorting centers

as well as the final DELIVERED scan

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Message 21 of 58
latest reply

@second-to-none22 wrote:

But if I want to maintain TRS I will have to stand there.

WHY do you have to stand in line to maintain TRS?

What does standing in line get you?

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Message 22 of 58
latest reply

posted long ago about this.

at my location in ABQ, the agent tossed 1 single package in a bin (bbl mailer).

she said she was no longer required to scan it and give me a receipt.

she said it would get scanned by the end of the day.

had to send a letter to Europe so had to be at the counter.

so thought i might as well have the mailer scanned.

usually i just drop my package and they do always get scanned by the end of the day.

anyway i thought that was pretty cr....y

by that specific agent had always been acting as the "soup Nazi guy" in Seinfeld.

best was to smile and go on...

never tried to have another package scanned again...

that was like well over 1 year ago (probably close to 2 years)...

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

My post office still scans and has never fussed about it. But I live in a small town where it's unusual for there to be much of a line.
Message 24 of 58
latest reply

I guess I am lucky... my PO is great, the workers all know their stuff, and they know me, ( some of them sell on ebay also )

They have never refused to do a scan, and they are very helpful, about saving me money on shipping.

I have my stuff ready to go, no muss no fuss, lol

Last christmas there was a girl who had a huge package that had duck tape on it.

When it was my turn, I said to my guy, there is no way that package is gonna get there... duck tape..... lol

He just laughed, and said "empty box" notice.

My PO has all the special boxes, right at the counter, no ordering them on line for me.

Message 25 of 58
latest reply

We use multiple Post Offices, NONE have refused any package scans, we wait in line (if there is one) for a receipt.  Have you tried going to other Post Offices?  Sounds like someone at yours has an attitude.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 26 of 58
latest reply

@sharonlpk

This thread makes me appreciate my PO folks + their services even more.
- 3 ladies + 2 gentlemen work tirelessly; always helpful; scan all items without complaint.
- mailing supplies are always well stocked.
- they're the heart of my town. l'll not take them for granted for sure.📬📦👍
-
Lucas
*still rollin' with the punches*
Message 27 of 58
latest reply

Never any problems getting scans at my post ofice. In fact, after they have spent 5 minutes with the person choosing a stamp, I think they are rather glad to have such a simple transaction.

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

@sharonlpk wrote:

I have a copy of the memo back in March 2016 from Kelly Sigmon, USPS VP Retail & Customer Service that states All eBay prepaid parcels MUST receive an acceptance scan.

Today I presented 4 packages (which is a large amount for me...) and was refused a scan.  First the clerk cited a brand new memo from Washington DC, then I called the branch when I got home and spoke with the supervisor who said they are no longer required to do scans but if I wanted any done then I had to come in at 8 am...   So I really think there is no 'new memo' about the scans and that the post office is not following procedure.

In addition, the supervisor said that no packages, even those left on the counter, would be scanned locally and that the first scan wouldn't be until the main post office (in this case Cleveland).

Before I take this to any next steps, I am curious if anyone else has a post office that has suddenly refused to do scans, citing new procedures....  I suspect there aren't any new procedures but still checking 😉

After bragging about how things have worked so well since i filed the complaint way back when the last 2 days the mail carrier has basically refused to pick up my outgoing mail, even though I have a confirmed scheduled pickup.  Mail delivery does not begin out here until 9 am so when I get my notification at 7:35 am that USPS is confirming my scheduled mail pickup, just to be on the super safe side I put my outgoing packages on the mailbox as stated on the delivery pickup and go back to bed.  My normal carrier would come by at 11:30 or so and just pick up the packages as he was close to my house on the other block whether he had my route or not.  This goes back to the solution that was created almost a year ago that he would always be the person picking up my outgoing mail as he never got it wrong.

So the last 2 days I have had to call at 4:50 pm (second call of each day) and advise the postmaster that not only was the mail not originally picked up but after my call to her it still was not picked up and I had to call because they stop answering the phone at 5 pm.  Yesterday she was irritated enough, but today I am not sure who was made to come pick it up as she said she needed to find out who was the problem, but my mail was finally picked up (AND SCANNED) at 6:58 PM which is long after that PO is closed and people have gone home for the day.  I may be wrong but I have a feeling its a newbie in training (this is sometimes a training route because it is considered so easy, nothing but houses) who was told come get the mail and deal with it or you will be gone tomorrow.  My regular carrier has said its amazing how many of the trainees don't even make it 30 days let alone whatever the normal probation period is.  They just don't realize how hard it is to do all the walking every day and make sure you get all the mail delivered on time.  I guess many of them also do not know how to do the prep work in the morning where you can make the rest of your day easy if you get things sorted and marked correctly.

Oh well, at least I got the items scanned and I realize that this postmaster does care enough about the rules to enforce them completely not only on me but on her own people.  

Hope you get your situation fixed soon.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 29 of 58
latest reply

My local post office is a nightmare. I stopped trying to get scans from those people a while ago. They shortened their hours, and don't even open till 10. Even with a scan sheet it's always 20 to 40 minuted in line. Line is always out the friggin door. I have been selling one item a day on ebay lately. I pack and drop off every day, but I'm not putting in an extra 3 hours a week waiting in that **bleep** line in hopes of getting a scan. I just went to 2 day handling, problem solved. I am still doing 2 week returns, so the discount is a moot point anyways. ebay can have the measly discount, it just ain't worth the stress. I still ship everything same or next day, and offer 2 week returns on quality uncommon things. If that is not good enough, so be it.

Message 30 of 58
latest reply