cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in sales May 2022

Please, report 13E9AEB6-1AE4-4BE0-9A83-516FDA4C16F6.jpeghere if you recently within a week or so experienced sudden drop in sales. We can then ask Velvet to pass it on to technical team for review of the accounts. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

Message 1 of 837
latest reply
836 REPLIES 836

Re: Sudden drop in sales May 2022

Haven't had many sales for two months now. I can only afford the minimum payments on debt because of this. What has happened? Help! 

Message 286 of 837
latest reply

add my name to the list-no sale for over 2 weeks

Message 287 of 837
latest reply

Add my name also. Hope it gets fixed soon! Everyone hang in there?

Message 288 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay

Please add us to the ticket or list of accounts that are experiencing a serious drop in sales please. 20 years experience and we know trends and ebbs and flows to sales. This droppoff  in the sales and impressions and visibility  is not organic or natural or economic... It is very obviously a sitewide problem resulting from the updates and internal IT changes. Cause and effect. Sales died the exact day that eBay died out the changes. Period. They have not recovered after 4 months. We need relief from this sales destroying update. 

It would be appreciated in the future if ebay tech would fully test and understand how the proposed changes will react and effect the existing system and algorithms BEFORE implementing. eBay has a responsibility to it's customers(sellers) to provide the services that we pay for. 

Message 289 of 837
latest reply

I have been selling on Ebay for over 20 years now. When I started , Ebay was great and I had many views and sales every day. It was fun. Over the years they made constant changes that made sales deteriorate. The problem I see is that most of the online sites have become very greedy and the cost of selling just keeps getting higher which means the buyers have to pay more and the sellers make less. Shipping costs keep going up . I wonder if it will come full circle and the antique co ops will come back. They got driven out of business when Ebay became big. Even USPS does not want to pay the insurance claims which again make it harder for the seller. I am lucky to have 1 sale a month now on Ebay and at least are doing better on my other site. Wish it would turn around.

Message 290 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay

13 days and no sales. This is un-excusable. What are us sellers paying a monthly subscription for?

Message 291 of 837
latest reply

Hello all! I’ve heard back from the team investigating the concerns about a drop in sales and they said the following: 

The change to view counts has done nothing to impact raw view count numbers. Listings are still going to get the same number of views as they would have previously, subject to site-wide trends. We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side. The change in how we count views itself doesn’t impact buy-side impressions, page views, or conversions. It’s just a selling reporting tool that filters out what we consider to be inhuman traffic, and reflects that number to our sellers.

However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little. We speculate this is related to the end of lock-downs across most of the world as we see this across the board with online sales. 

Where do we go from here? We’ll continue to run site-wide analyses from a Data Analytics perspective. If anything outside of the normal and somewhat expected decrease in sales given what’s been noted above, then we’ll work to implement measures to solve for whatever is found, in an effort to ensure we’re doing what we can to help connect buyers and sellers. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 292 of 837
latest reply

Velvet, this doesn't explain why so many customers can't find what they are looking for when searching for items. Even me, not just a seller but a buyer, I can't find items to buy! So when I do try to buy something, I just go to my past purchases to try and find them. I usually buy packaging supplies that I need every so often so I can see what I have bought before and just buy from the same seller, since I can't find it when searching. Also, I have heard complaints from buyers saying they can't find what they are looking for either. Thank goodness I have a lot of repeat buyers who have saved me as a favorite seller. The search is all over the places. Has tech support looked into that??

Message 293 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hello all! I’ve heard back from the team investigating the concerns about a drop in sales and they said the following: 

The change to view counts has done nothing to impact raw view count numbers. Listings are still going to get the same number of views as they would have previously, subject to site-wide trends. We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side. The change in how we count views itself doesn’t impact buy-side impressions, page views, or conversions. It’s just a selling reporting tool that filters out what we consider to be inhuman traffic, and reflects that number to our sellers.

However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little. We speculate this is related to the end of lock-downs across most of the world as we see this across the board with online sales. 

Where do we go from here? We’ll continue to run site-wide analyses from a Data Analytics perspective. If anything outside of the normal and somewhat expected decrease in sales given what’s been noted above, then we’ll work to implement measures to solve for whatever is found, in an effort to ensure we’re doing what we can to help connect buyers and sellers. 

My sincere thanks for the reply velvet@ebay , however I would have to disagree with the end of lock downs or the economy being a reason sales on eBay have tanked in many cases.  I recorded through screen shots (from the eBay Traffic reports) the first sudden drop in Impressions of 80.5% PRIOR to the Views counter change earlier this year AND more recently a weeks worth of steady decline in Impressions going from the mid 20%s to the mid 50%s in one week.  And this at the outset of my 3rd Quarter PLS Standard Campaign.  Prior to this year the first week of a PLS Campaign would see almost twice the Impressions in the first week compared to the three that I have run this year ... and they have all under performed (so far in 2022).  My 3rd quarter one ends in mid-August.

Another reason I disagree is if it were really true then I and others would be able to acquire inventory from other venues for astoundingly low prices (auction formats) when in fact competition AND pricing has done the opposite, it has risen in many cases.  The venues I shop at have Buyers from all ... over ... the ... country ... so its not a local or regional phenomenon.  Suffice it to say, there is enough long term selling experience here to notice normal ebbs and flows in sales but what has been happening this year is simply not normal.

Some of the most interesting threads have been Sellers who can find their items on a Google search but not on the eBay Search page ...

In any event, thank you again for sharing and passing on what you were advised ...

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 294 of 837
latest reply

@mr_lincoln velvet@ebay 

Velvet- Thank you very much for responding on our behalf.   Although what Mr Lincoln just said is 100% true. This has nothing to do with end of covid shopping trends- That is what we are trying to tell you. We KNOW trends- we have been selling for decades. This is not a buying trend, it is an ebay issue.

Every other platform is performing amazing and getting the highest prices in history- this has nothing to do with the economy.

My bigger concern is that if Ebay truly believes that it is not something that they did- we will see further decline.  The search engine here is so over manipulated for PLA and PLS and organically irrelevant that NOBODY can find anything.  

Is this ebay's idea of a tech led reimagination?????

Maybe its not the view counter.... but it is something that ebay did.!  We know you have the data- the site traffic vs conversion/ we know that you know something is screwed up for the last couple months. We NEED to know that ebay recognizes the issue and is working towards fixing it.  

Ebay loves testing- I would love for them to ditch the AI and promoted listings for a month and go back to a keyword based search and just show people what they type in the search box!  I can all but guarantee the platform would rebound as people were actually shown what they wanted to see.  That's all anyone wants.

Message 295 of 837
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mr_lincoln velvet@ebay 

Velvet- Thank you very much for responding on our behalf.   Although what Mr Lincoln just said is 100% true. This has nothing to do with end of covid shopping trends- That is what we are trying to tell you. We KNOW trends- we have been selling for decades. This is not a buying trend, it is an ebay issue.

Every other platform is performing amazing and getting the highest prices in history- this has nothing to do with the economy.

My bigger concern is that if Ebay truly believes that it is not something that they did- we will see further decline.  The search engine here is so over manipulated for PLA and PLS and organically irrelevant that NOBODY can find anything.  

Is this ebay's idea of a tech led reimagination?????

Maybe its not the view counter.... but it is something that ebay did.!  We know you have the data- the site traffic vs conversion/ we know that you know something is screwed up for the last couple months. We NEED to know that ebay recognizes the issue and is working towards fixing it.  

Ebay loves testing- I would love for them to ditch the AI and promoted listings for a month and go back to a keyword based search and just show people what they type in the search box!  I can all but guarantee the platform would rebound as people were actually shown what they wanted to see.  That's all anyone wants.

@siamjane8   Very nicely put ... last year the PLA Pay per Click was launched and then in Nov 2021 the Categories were shuffled or more accurately combined in unacceptable ways for specific searches by long standing Buyers.  We know this because there was an explosion of Buyers posting here saying they can't find things ...

So each of these "steps" taken by Home Office just slowly contributed to ineffective search results ... which I have experienced numerous times doing Sold Search research ... I get get unrelated items returned and scratch my head trying to figure out what in the world the search engine zeroed in on to give me certain results?!?  Sometimes it takes a number of title changes to obtain the results I was looking for.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 296 of 837
latest reply

All of us keep trying to tell them what we see, the data, trends, etc. If tech support keeps saying that everything is all good, they either have no idea what they are doing or they simply don't care. Just face it. They refuse to recognize anything. 

Message 297 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebaythank you for getting back to us. Honestly I have spent quite a bit of time these last few weeks with support on the phone and they have seen the decline of sales on our account, yet they can't pinpoint what the problem is. Don't get me started with the disastrous category changes back in September/October 2021 that caused all kinds of issues for many of us, especially under P&A. I was in contact with MJ and Nicholas in eBay Motors consistently with all these issues that were created by the category changes.

All of these issues for 2022 started around mid-May when we started noticing a decline in sales. This is the time frame that eBay started making changes with the search algo and even the change in July with regards to PL, and not allowing people to use 1% anymore. I will say we never used 1% and you can login to my account to see what we do with our PL that will shock you even more, making you wonder why impressions are up/down, yet when impression are up sales conversions are way down.

We are doing everything that eBay asks of us from PLS, Free 30 day returns, Free shipping, Promotions, all pictures on a white background (6-12 pics per listing), to almost all item specifics filled out, description is filled out for each listing, with 1 day handling time and the list goes on. We even list 50-60+ items a day and are prices for the most part are in line with the competition if not cheaper.

What I have noticed this year is that the normal ebs and flows are a thing of the past. There are days where sales will not be that great, then the next day we will get this unexpected spike and then sales drop off again the following day only for some weird spike to occur the day after that. Then the days preceding that are flat, until the next cycle of whatever starts again.

Everything can not continuously be blamed on Covid or the economy. There has been some very strange sales days on our account that I have shared with the CS team and even the product managers, none of it makes sense at all. Every time that I have been calling your support, now the reps are even starting to admit that there has been a lot of complaints coming in with regards to the drop in sales. The parts and accessories category doesn't start slowing down a bit till beginning of September and stays consistent till around end of February/early March when things pickup due to tax season......here we've been experiencing it since mid-May.

Message 298 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

"A little" is a nice way of saying that the top 10 seller of our ENTIRE CATEGORY have dropped >30% compared to last year. 

It also seems a bit odd that their investigation results in a theory, rather than actual numbers. That seems to imply that the buyer numbers are down. But what about the other statistics that are problematic right now? Including the ones we could see in our own store?

• What about the fact that a year ago, the average feedback of top sellers in our category was ~4000/12 months and is 3000/12 months now.
  • The fact that we're still the #1 seller in our category in GMV, despite such a huge drop?
  • The fact that a year ago, ~1/2 sales were through promotions, and this year 2/3 are through promotions.
  • The fact that organic impressions are now affected by our PLS investment and we lose organic views if we lower PL investment? 
  • The fact that the traffic numbers on the SAME PAGE aren't even adding up?
  • The fact that there's observable major changes in the search results and placement of top sellers in the categories, which obviously generates statistics that could be observed in data analysis?
  • The fact that changes in percentages of conversion rate alongside impressions/views imply that the targeting of search has been drastically reduced.
  • The fact that several additional PLA slots have been added on the top of search, reducing the accuracy of organic results.
  • The fact that there's been a huge amount of errors alongside all these issues these last few weeks?
  • The fact that, as I'd reported, at times search claims that NO items are sponsored, when enough results appear that some MUST be sponsored or else that many items wouldn't even be appearing on the page - along side the sidebars that we know ONLY contain sponsored items missing the sponsored mark.
  • The fact that changes in the way you report views ALSO should be having an effect on how conversion rates are measured and displayed to the buyer, and those changes are NOT observable. Which implies the variables were changed in one place, but not the other, and that the current conversion rates we're seeing are no longer accurate.

I'm sorry but I have to be frank. It's fairly obvious that data analysis hasn't even actually been done, or else these things would have been noticed. And if these things are intended, that's a sign of bigger problems. 

Message 299 of 837
latest reply

If i had to make an educated guess from many years of observation..... I think that ebay has no real direction or oversight or company vision. It is structured in such a way that all the departments are segregated and modularized like hundreds of pieces to a puzzle, but none of the pieces fit together correctly.   Each department seems to have its own set of goals regardless of a "big picture".

This leads to all the incompatibility issues we see now.

Subcontracting out to the cheapest bidders to design and program its platform is showing - the chickens have come home to roost as they say.    Someone has to break this cycle and just pay for quality work. That is the only way to grow and be great again. 

Message 300 of 837
latest reply