cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in sales May 2022

Please, report 13E9AEB6-1AE4-4BE0-9A83-516FDA4C16F6.jpeghere if you recently within a week or so experienced sudden drop in sales. We can then ask Velvet to pass it on to technical team for review of the accounts. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

Message 1 of 837
latest reply
836 REPLIES 836

velvet@ebay 
I (we) appreciate your responding through the threads length, but sorry to say that the statement they gave you is pure rubbish and they know it! First off no views don't have anything to do with sales, however, and I need to bold/underline this so you/they understand The new view count system is not just eliminating BOT VIEWS but ALSO eliminating counting ACTUAL views as bot views!! and this new system IS affecting PROMOTED LISTING IMPRESSIONS -> which is effecting sight visability cause ebay isn't showing the promoted listings. 

Aside view counts, they seemingly just decided to dodge everything and focus on view counts when the real issue is NOTHING is WORKING RIGHT on the site - PERIOD. They need to address everything as a whole, Listing Tool, Bulk Editor, Promoted Listings Standard, Ebay Search, Site Visibility, and yes, View Count System they now have in place is BROKEN, again -> BROKEN it does not count actual views along with bot views = NO VIEWS period.  

Everyone posting here has explained the issues over and over and over. We are ALL longtime and experienced and successful sellers. We are here dealing with this every single day, we know how to use ebay, it's tools etc.. and SELL PRODUCT that MAKES EBAY THEIR MONEY - Please - Tell Tech Support to LISTEN and take notes!! 

Again, appreciate your continued looking into the matter and I know, NONE of this is your fault or department, everyone just wants ebay to listen to what we are all saying, everything on the site is either broken or not working as should and those things I mention about effect one another. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 301 of 837
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

velvet@ebay 
I (we) appreciate your responding through the threads length, but sorry to say that the statement they gave you is pure rubbish and they know it! First off no views don't have anything to do with sales, however, and I need to bold/underline this so you/they understand The new view count system is not just eliminating BOT VIEWS but ALSO eliminating counting ACTUAL views as bot views!! and this new system IS affecting PROMOTED LISTING IMPRESSIONS -> which is effecting sight visability cause ebay isn't showing the promoted listings. 

Aside view counts, they seemingly just decided to dodge everything and focus on view counts when the real issue is NOTHING is WORKING RIGHT on the site - PERIOD. They need to address everything as a whole, Listing Tool, Bulk Editor, Promoted Listings Standard, Ebay Search, Site Visibility, and yes, View Count System they now have in place is BROKEN, again -> BROKEN it does not count actual views along with bot views = NO VIEWS period.  

Everyone posting here has explained the issues over and over and over. We are ALL longtime and experienced and successful sellers. We are here dealing with this every single day, we know how to use ebay, it's tools etc.. and SELL PRODUCT that MAKES EBAY THEIR MONEY - Please - Tell Tech Support to LISTEN and take notes!! 

Again, appreciate your continued looking into the matter and I know, NONE of this is your fault or department, everyone just wants ebay to listen to what we are all saying, everything on the site is either broken or not working as should and those things I mention about effect one another. 

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, it's as frustrating as ever to get anyone at eBay to actually look at these issues.

@ all eBay staff, do you realize how discouraging it is when eBay's data analysis team not only gives a presumption without any information to back it up (which is less in-depth than actual forum posters here have made)? 

In addition to that, to come to those conclusions, it means these analysts must have DISMISSED all the information provided to them! We can go through our sellers hub RIGHT NOW and see errors. We could RIGHT NOW see numbers not adding up. We can RIGHT NOW see that it's not just a "little bit" of a change. We could RIGHT NOW see numbers that any analyst who has experience would immediately recognize as a sign that their search engine targeting less accurate. We can RIGHT NOW see it's not just a problem with ourselves, or another seller in the category, but that ALL the top sellers have had drops alongside us.

All this talk of "site wide analyses"... What about the analysis of those peoples accounts here that was mentioned prior?

There's statistics that are "outside of the normal" all over the place! So why on earth are we being told that measures will be implemented if any of those things are found. They have been found, by all of us here - so why can't the data analysts find it?

Message 302 of 837
latest reply

Sudden drop in sales for me too!

Message 303 of 837
latest reply

Yeah, promoted listing impressions are down by half for me. It all started about two weeks ago. The first half of July was record sales for me then it all just stopped out of the blue. I've had a few sales trickle in, but it's just that, a trickle by comparison. 

Message 304 of 837
latest reply

EBay's own category statistics imply there's an issue even if you do analysis of a single variable.

zamozuan_0-1659120652054.png

zamozuan_1-1659120688031.png

Note, this is not OUR statistics, this is the CATEGORY statistics. 

Now I would be willing to bet anyone here that these statistics are for organic CTR only, and that the CTR of PL have increased?

As evidence, if I compare the CTR of our Promotions from June 29 2021-July 29, to our current promotion CTR, it has INCREASED! I compare the CTR of our overall traffic from the same date, it has DECREASED by a huge percentage! 

So... This isn't "unusual" and doesn't imply that the search is less accurate in targeting what the sellers are searching for... UNLESS it's a PL?

Message 305 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

Who can you reach out to at ebay that will take this problem seriously?   The response you received back from the team you reported to obviously thinks everything is ok. They are wrong. period.  They are not capable of seeing the issue and that is fine- they are not the right team to be corresponding with then.

Somebody or some team is at fault for this issue- if the problem is that they don't recognize or realize what their actions have done- then its time to get new people involved.

Who has oversight over all the IT? perhaps that person can realize what has happened.  Who took Harry Tempkin's position?- wasn't he heavily involved in all these changes before he left or got fired?

This is no doubt a multifaceted and complicated problem but i refuse to believe that it cannot be addressed- somebody broke ebay and somebody needs to fix it.

Message 306 of 837
latest reply

This is today's from my seller hub. In all of the years that I have been selling, I have never ever seen this kind of drop in sales.

Where are these people seeing this kind of info: "However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little."  A LITTLE? 85.2% is more than a little.

What does this mean, "We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side."  This tells me that they have impacted or changed  the sellers as eBay is and has always worried about the buyer and very seldom stood up for the seller. They have changed something and probably don't know how to fix it. Time for eBay to get a RELIABLE team or company doing the IT stuff.

Message 307 of 837
latest reply

@greg213213 wrote:

This is today's from my seller hub. In all of the years that I have been selling, I have never ever seen this kind of drop in sales.

Where are these people seeing this kind of info: "However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little."  A LITTLE? 85.2% is more than a little.

What does this mean, "We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side."  This tells me that they have impacted or changed  the sellers as eBay is and has always worried about the buyer and very seldom stood up for the seller. They have changed something and probably don't know how to fix it. Time for eBay to get a RELIABLE team or company doing the IT stuff.

It means when they assessed it, they approached it as an issue with buyers purchasing from sellers. And not an issue that was assessing sellers and the drastic changes they made.

Sure, they may not have changed anything on the BUYER side. But they HAVE changed things in terms of search, promotions, click/conversion rates, and the way those things are displayed.

If clicks/conversion rates/etc are changed, then obviously ALL of the other usages of these variables needs to be updated as well. Especially since the traffic statistics are used by the algorithm to determine our search placement.

But from that response, it seems this hadn't even been looked at... Alongside all the data that was reported.

Message 308 of 837
latest reply

have saw about this in news

Message 309 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hello all! I’ve heard back from the team investigating the concerns about a drop in sales and they said the following: 

The change to view counts has done nothing to impact raw view count numbers. Listings are still going to get the same number of views as they would have previously, subject to site-wide trends. We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side. The change in how we count views itself doesn’t impact buy-side impressions, page views, or conversions. It’s just a selling reporting tool that filters out what we consider to be inhuman traffic, and reflects that number to our sellers.

However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little. We speculate this is related to the end of lock-downs across most of the world as we see this across the board with online sales. 

Where do we go from here? We’ll continue to run site-wide analyses from a Data Analytics perspective. If anything outside of the normal and somewhat expected decrease in sales given what’s been noted above, then we’ll work to implement measures to solve for whatever is found, in an effort to ensure we’re doing what we can to help connect buyers and sellers.

velvet@ebay

Yes, thank you for getting a response on this, really appreciate it.  But there needs to be (at least 1) follow up.  I read and re-read the statement bolded above and I do not see an answer the one of the most basic questions being asked. 

We want to know if "non-human traffic" (bots) are being allowed to view and index the entire page and links on that page when they don't count as a view?  The answer given is not clear.  I agree that the view counts are showing less traffic, but is that traffic still allowed to complete its view of the page?  Or are those bots being kicked out of the page once they are determined to be a bot?  The answer from IT could be read either way!!  They kind of dance around it by saying "buy-side impressions" are not effected.  Is a bot considered "buy-side".

The bots need to be allowed full access even if they don't count as a view, so are we 100% sure that is happening?  Could it have been programmed incorrectly causing early exit from page being rendered? Exactly how is the view count being decremented?  Having been in IT for 20 years i can tell you the easiest way to not count the view would be to just STOP rendering the page output and simply exit the page before the count gets incremented. This would reduce the view count but also stop the bot from seeing the whole page and / or all the links on that page which bots follow. Please ask a follow-up question.  Thanks much.

Message 310 of 837
latest reply

elephant.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 311 of 837
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hello all! I’ve heard back from the team investigating the concerns about a drop in sales and they said the following: 

The change to view counts has done nothing to impact raw view count numbers. Listings are still going to get the same number of views as they would have previously, subject to site-wide trends. We have not impacted or changed anything on the buyer's side. The change in how we count views itself doesn’t impact buy-side impressions, page views, or conversions. It’s just a selling reporting tool that filters out what we consider to be inhuman traffic, and reflects that number to our sellers.

However, we recognize sales as a whole have decreased a little. We speculate this is related to the end of lock-downs across most of the world as we see this across the board with online sales. 

Where do we go from here? We’ll continue to run site-wide analyses from a Data Analytics perspective. If anything outside of the normal and somewhat expected decrease in sales given what’s been noted above, then we’ll work to implement measures to solve for whatever is found, in an effort to ensure we’re doing what we can to help connect buyers and sellers.

velvet@ebay

Yes, thank you for getting a response on this, really appreciate it.  But there needs to be (at least 1) follow up.  I read and re-read the statement bolded above and I do not see an answer the one of the most basic questions being asked. 

We want to know if "non-human traffic" (bots) are being allowed to view and index the entire page and links on that page when they don't count as a view?  The answer given is not clear.  I agree that the view counts are showing less traffic, but is that traffic still allowed to complete its view of the page?  Or are those bots being kicked out of the page once they are determined to be a bot?  The answer from IT could be read either way!!  They kind of dance around it by saying "buy-side impressions" are not effected.  Is a bot considered "buy-side".

The bots need to be allowed full access even if they don't count as a view, so are we 100% sure that is happening?  Could it have been programmed incorrectly causing early exit from page being rendered? Exactly how is the view count being decremented?  Having been in IT for 20 years i can tell you the easiest way to not count the view would be to just STOP rendering the page output and simply exit the page before the count gets incremented. This would reduce the view count but also stop the bot from seeing the whole page and / or all the links on that page which bots follow. Please ask a follow-up question.  Thanks much.

The changes in statistics also need to be considered by the algorithms. As the measurement of statistics was already a mess, but the resulting numbers will need to be updated.

For example, if an item was getting 1000 views (200 of them bots). Now it's getting 800 views. How is the conversion rate being measured? Because if it's 800 views and the same number of conversions, it's going to look like the conversion rate has increased when it really hasn't. This makes your question all the more important.

But if the conversion rate is still counting the original view count, which view number is being used by the algorithm? The one with views, or without views?

I can go to the traffic page right now and find different numbers of views all over the place. This alone indicates there IS major issues, and that a wrong variable is placed somewhere. So why hasn't it been fixed despite being reported awhile back now...?

traffic1.png

traffic2.png

The traffic pages have matching off-eBay numbers, and matching promotion numbers... but give us THREE different Organic numbers. 

In no way you manipulate the numbers being given, do they add up correctly to what is being stated in the daily totals, OR the graph.

And if we download the Active Listings Traffic Report, it gives MORE different numbers for Organic views.

So what is the real number of organic views for the day? Is it 1302? Or 998? Or 778? Or is the FOURTH number in the Active Listings Traffic Report the accurate one?

More importantly.... Which of these is being used to calculate CTR? Which of these numbers is being used by the algorithms? The variables are obviously mixed up somewhere.

But there's no problem, right? I guess we're SUPPOSED to be given correct numbers for Promoted and off-eBay views... but we're NOT supposed to get correct Organic numbers.... And we're supposed to believe this doesn't indicate any problem? It's just "lockdowns across the world"... 

Edit: Here's a shot with mouse over for more clarity:

zamozuan_0-1659129929640.png

Message 312 of 837
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Who can you reach out to at ebay that will take this problem seriously?   The response you received back from the team you reported to obviously thinks everything is ok. They are wrong. period.  They are not capable of seeing the issue and that is fine- they are not the right team to be corresponding with then.

Somebody or some team is at fault for this issue- if the problem is that they don't recognize or realize what their actions have done- then its time to get new people involved.

Who has oversight over all the IT? perhaps that person can realize what has happened.  Who took Harry Tempkin's position?- wasn't he heavily involved in all these changes before he left or got fired?

This is no doubt a multifaceted and complicated problem but i refuse to believe that it cannot be addressed- somebody broke ebay and somebody needs to fix it.

Hi @siamjane8! I can assure you that specific accounts compiled from here and other threads were reviewed by the appropriate team. That research prompted the response they provided me, that I then shared above.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 313 of 837
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@siamjane8 wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Hi @siamjane8! I can assure you that specific accounts compiled from here and other threads were reviewed by the appropriate team. That research prompted the response they provided me, that I then shared above.

The problem here is that the issues raised by the posters was not appropriately addressed or even responded to. The response was dismissing their issues upon the basis of a presumption - that they speculate it's "due to shutdowns" - without any actual analytical reasoning, response, or explanation. Shutdowns don't literally change peoples traffic by such margins overnight.

This is besides the fact that a single screenshot (that I posted above, or the other posters in the thread shared) could show that there is indeed a problem.

Could you honestly say there's not a problem when we're given correct promoted and off site numbers, but FOUR different organic numbers...? If we can find evidence of issues in a single screenshot, how could these analysts not find them? 

How on earth is a shutdown responsible for giving us 4 different organic view numbers and making search results inaccurate

Or an issue that I've raised for a long time now, how is a shutdown responsible for making less PLS investment reduce ORGANIC traffic numbers?

There's obviously something wrong and a single screenshot can prove it. Why won't this be given an appropriate response?

Message 314 of 837
latest reply

Respond comes from the team was ridiculous. eBay.com is not an US only site, it was a global marketplace  from the beginning. All my sales are international. Other than US , I get orders from whole Europe, South American countries, Australia and even China. People who buy my stuff don't have a chance to buy them from a local brick & mortar store.  If eBay will continue to show stubborness, there will be no other way than leaving eBay for many sellers. I will keep my store open during August , if something will not change, I will close my store and will use 250 free listings only. 1/6 of my current inventory.

Message 315 of 837
latest reply