cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscriber Discounts - NOT keeping pace with inflation!!! Not happy here!

devon@ebay , elizabeth@ebay kyle@ebay 

The eBay Branded Supply folks finally got the box size in I prefer ... so when I went to buy my normal 2 cases of 25 boxes my Subscriber Discount came whoafully short of giving me any purchasing advantage.  1 case would mean left over unusable coupon value and 2 boxes would push my Price per box over $ 2.00 ... 

I used to be able to get the same thing for 22 cents per box and then it climbed to 47 cents per box ... at $ 2 per box it is worthless and not using the entire coupon is worthless too, I would just rather get $ 50 off one month's Store Subscription and then I will get my boxes elsewhere ...

When is eBay going to man up and raise the Subscriber discounts to offset inflation increases???  I was pretty disgusted when I went through the process this evening and simply closed the page.  Not helping Sellers is NOT contributing to "enhancing the Buying experience" (eBay credo) in my view.  

So am I unhappy about this, yes, no sense trying to hide the truth.  

And no, I am not interested in buying stuff I don't want, would never use, just to fill out the coupon value if I only buy one case of boxes instead of 2 ... 

The $ 50 per quarter Premium Store coupon needs to be raised to somewhere between $ 75 and $ 100 AND be done before the end of 1st quarter this year.  That would NOT break eBay's pocketbook and would be a nice show of support for Sellers ... i am surprised this hasn't already been done to be honest.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

I second the request, I use to be able to buy 250 6x4x4 boxes when the coupons started, now I can only buy 50 boxes. 3rd quarter last year I had to pay a few bucks for and extra 50 boxes to fill out the coupon, 4th quarter nope, cheaper to buy from other sellers.

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

They should be free considering the large eBay name on the boxes, it's advertising for them yet they over charge for them and also considered as a favor they are giving to sellers.

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

It's almost like they had a board meeting and decided "hey let's use inflation as an excuse to jack up the prices on our shipping supplies (and keep the coupons the same amount) to start actually making decent money (on top of what we already make on advertising on the boxes) on our free shipping supply coupon program."

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

@sapphire_studio , @ten_o_nine , @tsme35 

All good replies and the advertising angle is a good one but I don't plan to PAY for eBay's advertising ... if they raise the coupon value to cover my cost then they get the advertising back ... 

Not sure what they said in their meeting(s) but I suspect it had nothing to do with doing Sellers a good turn ... 

I am sure a lot of Sellers are buying only half of what they did before if they are buying anything ... that's pretty much how the numbers pan out for my choices for supplies. 

Regards,
Message 5 of 51
latest reply

When I had a Store the coupons were next to useless for me, not the price but the sizes were not something I could use so I just order whatever bubble envelopes would get me to close top using the coupon.

The specialty mailers I do use cost 72 cents (quantity 300) in 2012, 96 cents (300) in 2018 and a whopping 1.47

(quantity 500) last Fall.

That's more than double, maybe if eBay doubled the monthly store fee the coupon value would also go up.

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

I don't understand how it's $2/box. If you're talking about the 14" x 7" x 5" boxes,

25 boxes is $35

50 boxes is $70

That's $1.40 per box if you were paying retail. If you get 50 boxes using your $50 coupon, you're paying $20 for 50 boxes. That's 40 cents a box. If you buy boxes elsewhere, you're not going to get that price.

That being said, I wouldn't mind  eBay increasing the subscriber discount. They can pay for it with the increased fees they're collecting from the latest shipping increases.

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:

If you buy boxes elsewhere, you're not going to get that price.

Not to mention that the price of boxes EVERYWHERE has gone up. I buy my cube boxes off Amazon (since eBay doesn't have the right sizes) and was surprised by how much they'd gone up between my previous order and the one I placed just a couple of months ago.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

The eBay Branded Supply folks finally got the box size in I prefer ... so when I went to buy my normal 2 cases of 25 boxes my Subscriber Discount came whoafully short of giving me any purchasing advantage.  1 case would mean left over unusable coupon value and 2 boxes would push my Price per box over $ 2.00 ... 

I used to be able to get the same thing for 22 cents per box and then it climbed to 47 cents per box ... at $ 2 per box it is worthless and not using the entire coupon is worthless too, I would just rather get $ 50 off one month's Store Subscription and then I will get my boxes elsewhere ...

When is eBay going to man up and raise the Subscriber discounts to offset inflation increases???  I was pretty disgusted when I went through the process this evening and simply closed the page.  Not helping Sellers is NOT contributing to "enhancing the Buying experience" (eBay credo) in my view.  

And no, I am not interested in buying stuff I don't want, would never use, just to fill out the coupon value if I only buy one case of boxes instead of 2 ... 

The $ 50 per quarter Premium Store coupon needs to be raised to somewhere between $ 75 and $ 100 AND be done before the end of 1st quarter this year.  That would NOT break eBay's pocketbook and would be a nice show of support for Sellers ... i am surprised this hasn't already been done to be honest.

Totally agree with you. 

It’s one of the many reasons I downgraded my stores. The perks went away, sales took a dump and ebay wanted to milk me for more money for exposure…. I didn’t see the point. 

As for buying a bunch of stuff you don’t need…. I learned that lesson the hard way. I still have approx 100 rolls of ebay packing tape left and at least 1000 Mylar bags. The tape I still use, even though it’s embarrassing to take it to the PO with that awful ebay printing in primary colors… the Mylar bags I use occasionally.

i used to buy my boxes here or on Amazon but switched to Grainger as I can pick them up locally and it beats out all the others on price. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 9 of 51
latest reply

woefully.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 51
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:

I don't understand how it's $2/box. If you're talking about the 14" x 7" x 5" boxes,

25 boxes is $35

50 boxes is $70

That's $1.40 per box if you were paying retail. If you get 50 boxes using your $50 coupon, you're paying $20 for 50 boxes. That's 40 cents a box. If you buy boxes elsewhere, you're not going to get that price.

That being said, I wouldn't mind  eBay increasing the subscriber discount. They can pay for it with the increased fees they're collecting from the latest shipping increases.

@carolynnq   OMG!  GOOD catch, I did the final division backwards so you are right, its not $ 2 per box but almost 49 cents each (sales tax added) ... however, the $ 2 made for good reading and if things continue we'll be at that level without help from Home Office.

Regards,
Message 11 of 51
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

woefully.

LOL  @chapeau-noir   its one of those words I've always had trouble spelling!!!  I was so ticked off I just let it fly for the OP ... 

Regards,
Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Totally agree with you. 

It’s one of the many reasons I downgraded my stores. The perks went away, sales took a dump and ebay wanted to milk me for more money for exposure…. I didn’t see the point. 

As for buying a bunch of stuff you don’t need…. I learned that lesson the hard way. I still have approx 100 rolls of ebay packing tape left and at least 1000 Mylar bags. The tape I still use, even though it’s embarrassing to take it to the PO with that awful ebay printing in primary colors… the Mylar bags I use occasionally.

i used to buy my boxes here or on Amazon but switched to Grainger as I can pick them up locally and it beats out all the others on price. 

@the_fancy_fox   I agree about the tape and besides, I tape my labels to my packages with clear tape, so how would one read the label using the eBay tape???  I see that stuff on boxes at the Post Office and it is just plain gaudy ... 

The first gyrations of eBay Boxes had white ink (the antithesis of Amazon's black ink) and then that two colored bluish circle logo thing ... talk about driving up pricing!!!  I advised them to use the black ink that most board suppliers have standard in their factories (I have been through many over the years by the way). 

Regards,
Message 13 of 51
latest reply

Agreed... What am I supposed to do with 1000's of eBay Ball stickers that I got just to use up the coupon. 

Totally useless!

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

Use them to cover up the bar code on Regional boxes?

Message 15 of 51
latest reply