cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategies to increase sales

I’ve been a seller on ebay for a short time now but I still feel like a “newb” when it comes to the how and/or why items sale or don’t!  I started out a bit sloppy Ive came to realize so I have been going back from time to time cleaning up my post best I can. In-spite of these efforts sales still remain slower then I anticipated! Would love some direction on different strategies I could take to raise sales??!  Are my prices to high? Inventory no good?  Listing titles missing key words?   Where should my focus be direct first? Thanks in advance for the replies!  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Strategies to increase sales

How many sales per month do you feel you should be getting?  You are currently getting around 50 per month.

Yes I see you had some problems in the beginning.  Those negatives don't look good at all.  If it were me, I would have likely opened up a new account for selling as I came up with my new game plan for selling.  Those negatives are going to follow you for 12 months.  While Ebay doesn't consider them in your evaluation every month, buyers do.

If I were a buyer looking at your listings, I'd be concerned that such a young account has so many negatives and likely would look to purchase somewhere else.  I'm not trying to be mean at all.  I'm just trying to tell you some reasons why you may not be getting the sales you thought you would.

As to hints that may help your listings.

In your titles, don't repeat a word or words.  While it doesn't cause a problem on Ebay, Google search doesn't like them.  And we get a lot of traffic onto Ebay from Google searches.

Your titles are probably the most important part of your listing.  You need to think like a buyer and put into the title what you think a buyer would put into a search in an effort to find what you are selling.  Don't waste this space.  It is too important.  You have some listings with very short titles.  I'd work on improving those with more words that a buyer might put into their search.

Don't be so short on your descriptions.  Like for that Rocking Horse Ornament.  What are the measurements of the ornament?  What are the materials used?

Your TOS [terms of sale] need some attention too.  I strongly suggest you get rid of that information about if you receive an order by a certain time that the buyer will receive their order by a certain time.  This is going to get you into trouble.  You have NO control over a carrier once you ship an item.  And if you are using USPS, they have delays way too often.  Don't guarantee delivery.  That will end up hurting you and there simply is no need to state it.

This statement is likely not something that should be in your listings "We would like to ask that if we were able to meet and/or Torch expectations that you leave us a short comment in the reviews letting us know how we did.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and supporting Torched270!  

(Psalms 119;105)              STAY-LIT,

Torched270"

Religious comments can also backfire on  you.  Not everyone appreciates them and really you should be neutral on this and not bring it up at all. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Your pictures a good. Your sales are good, 163 in the last 90 days. Did you try to resolve the 5 negative feedback?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I agree.  Your photos are great, your prices are very reasonable with best offer included.  Are you making offers to your watchers?  Are you ending your listings and re-posting as sell similar?  That would re-start the clock making your listing fresh perhaps bringing it closer to the first page when someone does a search.  It appears from the comments in the negative feedback you have that your packaging may have been off and items arrived damaged.  If that's the case, I trust you have since done a better job with delicate items.  Sales have not been grand lately all around, but my impression of your store is positive.  I wish you much success.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

How many sales per month do you feel you should be getting?  You are currently getting around 50 per month.

Yes I see you had some problems in the beginning.  Those negatives don't look good at all.  If it were me, I would have likely opened up a new account for selling as I came up with my new game plan for selling.  Those negatives are going to follow you for 12 months.  While Ebay doesn't consider them in your evaluation every month, buyers do.

If I were a buyer looking at your listings, I'd be concerned that such a young account has so many negatives and likely would look to purchase somewhere else.  I'm not trying to be mean at all.  I'm just trying to tell you some reasons why you may not be getting the sales you thought you would.

As to hints that may help your listings.

In your titles, don't repeat a word or words.  While it doesn't cause a problem on Ebay, Google search doesn't like them.  And we get a lot of traffic onto Ebay from Google searches.

Your titles are probably the most important part of your listing.  You need to think like a buyer and put into the title what you think a buyer would put into a search in an effort to find what you are selling.  Don't waste this space.  It is too important.  You have some listings with very short titles.  I'd work on improving those with more words that a buyer might put into their search.

Don't be so short on your descriptions.  Like for that Rocking Horse Ornament.  What are the measurements of the ornament?  What are the materials used?

Your TOS [terms of sale] need some attention too.  I strongly suggest you get rid of that information about if you receive an order by a certain time that the buyer will receive their order by a certain time.  This is going to get you into trouble.  You have NO control over a carrier once you ship an item.  And if you are using USPS, they have delays way too often.  Don't guarantee delivery.  That will end up hurting you and there simply is no need to state it.

This statement is likely not something that should be in your listings "We would like to ask that if we were able to meet and/or Torch expectations that you leave us a short comment in the reviews letting us know how we did.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and supporting Torched270!  

(Psalms 119;105)              STAY-LIT,

Torched270"

Religious comments can also backfire on  you.  Not everyone appreciates them and really you should be neutral on this and not bring it up at all. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Count yourself very very lucky. In the last 90 days you have a 20.15% sell through rate. My guess that puts you close to the top 10% of Ebay sellers. With the current economy you can expect no more than that for quite some time. The only way to sell more for what you are currently doing is to double your listings, double your sales.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

No I haven’t. I wasn’t sure with them being so old if I was able to get them removed/if the buyer was able to have them removed?  I will look into them this week though!  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@torched270 wrote:

No I haven’t. I wasn’t sure with them being so old if I was able to get them removed/if the buyer was able to have them removed?  I will look into them this week though!  

@joseh1445  and @torched270 

They are too old, don't waste your time contacting Ebay.  You have to contact them within 60 days if you want them to help you with removing a feedback.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply