cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still selling over 6 hundred since the changes?

Yep, well, it's everyone's choice but i am sure 90% of sellers have no idea about the new implications of this policy, which is also now in effect for Venmo, PP, and other previously untaxed revenue sources. Over 600 in sales, IRS requires your info on a 1016 from the Bay, yep, and to send it your ZZ number will be required by the bay from you, and what could possibly go wrong with your most personal data going to an intl co. or who knows where? On socSecurity, its now taxable income, be sure to keep track, as the 22percent tx rate kicks in also.

So that item sold for 100, after feez 12%, 78, and after 22persent gov tax now gets u 78 bux, not including hassle, etc. wow, didn't know this scheme, did you.. Happy 22 tx sesean!

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

Quick question - with your SSN is it issued to  you on your birth? I read somewhere that was the case.

Over here we call it a TFN - Tax File Number only issued once we apply for it when we get our first job.

@itsjustasprain 

Until the mid-1980s, most US citizens applied for their first Social Security card when they needed it for employment.  Then in about 1986, the IRS started to require Social Security Numbers on annual income tax files, to prove the existence of your dependents and to prevent two taxpayers from both claiming the same person as their dependent. Apparently before that, people were declaring pets, imaginary children, etc.  So now most get their SSN in infancy. Parents who are not taxpayers for one reason or another might not bother to apply for one, though; it's not automatic.

This makes sense, thanks.

I don't actually know how it works over here, maybe as a parent I could have applied for a TFN for my kid's, just no point until they started working - I am going to research this now, prolly should know how my own country works this stuff!

Well, as you can tell by our replies, except for Nobody'sPerfect, we're not sure how our own country deals with it LOL.  Mainly due to the law changing, during most of our lifetimes.  

When my two were born and all my grandkids, the hospital handed out the applications to send off for their SSN.

Have a great day.
Message 61 of 71
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

As for the SSN:

For decades, most schools used SSNs as student ID numbers, so if you are over about 40 years of age and attended any school in the US, it probably has your SSN.   SSNs were also commonly used as identifiers for medical records, and I'll wager it's in your medical records if you are over 40 years oa age.   And on and so on.

-

Don't think they do it anymore, but some states... Your driver's license number would be your SSN. Imagine handing that out everytime you got carded?

The school thing was an annoyance. Would see the whole thing when viewing the sheet to see how you did in a test or something. Some teachers would use the last four or five digits. Either way the order was alphabetized so it'd be easy enough to figure out who's SSN it was.

You could request an ID change at the office but I think they would fight you on it depending on the administrator behind the desk. Probably didn't want to waddle to the filling cabinet and do a little work.

Message 62 of 71
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

Quick question - with your SSN is it issued to  you on your birth? I read somewhere that was the case.

Over here we call it a TFN - Tax File Number only issued once we apply for it when we get our first job.

@itsjustasprain 

In our case, yes. Administrator would come to you verifying the name and whatnot prior to the mom getting released. I think you could request they don't issue you one though.

You kind of want to get it if you plan to use the kid as a deduction though because back in (I think) 1997, they started requiring the SSN for that. Whereas before I guess you could just say you had however many kids. Also becomes a case of who claimed the kid first for divorced or separated parents.

Did some office work for H & R Block at that time and was funny watching parents get mad at the preparers because they were obviously using fake numbers and then getting rejected. Would walk off mad saying they'll go somewhere else. Good luck with that lady.

Message 63 of 71
latest reply

As others have mentioned in 1987 the SSA started off with a pilot for giving individuals the option of receiving a SSN for their newborn and rapidly expanded that to include all states however it is still NOT mandatory at birth. However it is becoming required for so many things these days you can either get it at birth or you will probably need to do so within the first year. 

Through some complicated errors at one time when I was an child I had two different SSN's. I had to clear that problem up when I started working. It may be easy to get a SSN but it's a difficult process to get rid of one. 

Message 64 of 71
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

@itsjustasprain 

No.   Many people my age (old) didn't get theirs until their first job, so often when you're a teen.  Maybe it's changed by now, we'll know if someone young chimes in. 

My Dad was in the Army in the 60s and 70s.

We were stationed in Germany for a few years and the kids had to learn their SSN, it was pretty much our only identity and had to give it everywhere.

Have a great day.
Message 65 of 71
latest reply

Another reason for a child to have a SSN as early as possible is that they may (hopefully not) at some point be eligible for SS disability or survivor benefits.

Message 66 of 71
latest reply

"The people who really run this country are in a big f****** club.......and you ain't in it."

George Carlin

Message 67 of 71
latest reply

I got my SSN when I started Junior High - 7th grade.  Everyone in class filled out the form, and we all got our cards sometime after that.

My grands have all gotten their SSN at birth - mostly, I believe, because you now need to list the SSN of all dependents, and babies are definitely dependent. 🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 68 of 71
latest reply

I got my SSN when I was 15 and went to work at the local truck stop as a short order cook.  I was under-age but it was a family business (which had an exemption) and I didn't care, anyway - I just wanted a job.  Before then I took in alterations (started when I was 14) but that was under the table.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 69 of 71
latest reply

A follower  of Timothy Leary - Me Thinks

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 70 of 71
latest reply

All digital transactions have avoided Congressional tax oversight for years. This was a "catch-up" by Congress that was convenient to clean up their laziness in avoiding tax law updates to digital payments. For many reasons likely political in nature, they avoided requiring a tax trail upon those transactions. However, eventually the tax man comes for everyone no matter how large or small & when they need money, Congress does squeeze the largest group available. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it can't happen.

Message 71 of 71
latest reply