cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stealing pictures.

I'm not sure what the current rules are on watermarking photos. I think it has changed a few times.  But if you're going to steal and use another seller's pictures for your own listing,  why wold you steal and use pictures with the other sellers username on the photo? 

This  has happened to me twice on the same item!  I never report it because i don't think ebay cares/enforces photo stealing. 

But with the hundreds, if not thousands of pictures out there, why use one with your competitors username all over it?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Stealing pictures.

@sapphireseal wrote:

Even if eBay "allows" it, it's not right to use someone else's work.   Sorry that happened to you!  

"Back in the day" people used to have to host their own photos.  And if they found someone else using the photo, they would often replace the photo (using the same path), and the photo-thief would end up with a photo in their auction saying "SO-AND-SO IS A BANDWIDTH THIEF!"   Or sometimes people would replace the photo with a pic of something adult.  That usually got a quick reaction.

Yup!  I remember that! Smiley Very Happy

My guess is that eBay wanted to make their site as easy as possible to use so that lazy people would also list here too.

There are some who just don't wanna work, they want to ride on the backs of others.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

LOL!

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

That's it!  I'm changing my username to:  toenail_fungus

@inhawaii 

LOL!!!!! laughingSmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

And I really did laugh out loud!

Did you see @richard1rst  post right after yours..now THAT IS SO FANTASTIC!  BEST "WATERMARK" EVER!!!

@richard1rst  I am saving that pic!  I'M A PICTURE THIEF!  That was just too awesome! Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Or sometimes people would replace the photo with a pic of something adult.  That usually got a quick reaction.

LOL!  I remember that!  My favorite was to replace the stolen photo with a pic of the rear end of a horse with "Picture thief...Want to buy here?"  

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

I really did laugh out loud too.  My co-workers are looking at me funny.  😃

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I really did laugh out loud too.  My co-workers are looking at me funny.  😃

@inhawaii 

Co-workers?  Ha-la-la...are you doing this at work???

You are kolohe! Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Is that why people are stealing it, because it's pretty?

But what about the fact that my username is on it?

I was hoping that might deter theft, but i guess not. 

Nope, guess again. Photo theft happens to me all the time. I used to even have watermarks running thru the item with my seller name. Competition doesn't care. I think one time I had a distributor steal my photo and gave their other customers "permission" to use that photo. So my watermarked image was plastered everywhere.

Now I just try to not have my photos that good to avoid the "bad attention" from competitors. But yea, it's a double edged sword.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

INH3.jpg

Now THAT'S a watermark:

HAHAHA. Yea, I've been meaning to ask you @inhawaii . What the HECK is that image of? It always catches my eye in the boards.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Digger the Dermatophyte. Digger the Dermatophyte is a character created by the medicinal company Lamisil in a campaign against fungal nail infections.

I decided to use him because:

1) He's kinda cute.

2) I can get under your skin and be a real pain too. 

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Digger the Dermatophyte. Digger the Dermatophyte is a character created by the medicinal company Lamisil in a campaign against fungal nail infections.

I decided to use him because:

1) He's kinda cute.

2) I can get under your skin and be a real pain too. 

3) Perfect spokesman for selling candy and sodas. Fungal nail infections + sugary treats = Profit!

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Is that why people are stealing it, because it's pretty?

But what about the fact that my username is on it?

I was hoping that might deter theft, but i guess not. 

I was complimenting your artwork. As for why people steal it... from what I've learnt, people who steal other people's intellectual property are not too bright.  But why they picked your graphic instead of someone else's is probably because yours is very eye catching.  Back to the not bright factor... they might not have noticed it was your username on the graphic.

C.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

You can have the listings removed by filing a Vero complaint.

I have done it multiple times.

vero@ebay.com

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

I use a lot of stock photos but if I find someone using one of my photos that I've actually taken myself I will write to them and ask them to please remove it. They will usually comply. I think a lot of time they show up in google search. 

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

You can have the listings removed by filing a Vero complaint.

I have done it multiple times.

It used to work for an ebay seller to become a vero member and file a complaint.  eBay even told us for years that once a vero complaint was filed "there was nothing they could do" and the listing would be removed. 

Unfortunately, that is no longer the case with regards to plagiarized text or images snagged from other ebay members who subsequently file a vero complaint. 

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

@hurryagain wrote:

...oh wait!  I guess we can't calling it "stealing" anymore if eBay allows it...

...whatever...

...unbelievable...

Technically you can't since continuing to use the site after eBay gave themselves the right to use anything uploaded to the site in the UA.  Nice bit of legal hocus pokas  on eBay's part, in my opinion.Smiley Frustrated

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 30 of 40
latest reply