cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spamming Vintage & Antique Categories with New Merchandise & Duplicate Listings too

It is frustrating.

I enjoy searching for and buying antique photos on Ebay.

But I can't find my way to the real things when someone who spams these categories with new merchandise called Raika album spams them relentlessly.

I have reported them but there are more than ever before up. They also break the rules with duplicate listings.

But there are more than ever before. In pre-1940 photo categories!

Is there any way to bring this to the attention of Trust & Safety so people can find what they want.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Spamming Vintage & Antique Categories with New Merchandise & Duplicate Listings too

brian@ebay

This is ridiculous:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/407/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Raika+album

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Spamming Vintage & Antique Categories with New Merchandise & Duplicate Listings too

Cant you exclude Raika albums using Advanced Search?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Funny how they are allowed to put their phone # in the bottom left hand side of the listing. We have a Ebay competitor that does the same thing. They have horrible feedback for years but since they sell a lot Ebay does nothing. But if we add our phone #, guess what would happen. Just have to remember this is NOT our sandbox and there are different rules for different sellers..... 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

And … they are only selling since January and have managed to rack up a few neutrals and negatives … I wonder what their dashboard looks like 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@lawnmowerpartsstore2 wrote:

Funny how they are allowed to put their phone # in the bottom left hand side of the listing. We have a Ebay competitor that does the same thing. They have horrible feedback for years but since they sell a lot Ebay does nothing. But if we add our phone #, guess what would happen. Just have to remember this is NOT our sandbox and there are different rules for different sellers..... 

You CAN include a "customer service" number on your listing in certain circumstances, but I don't remember the details of how it works.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

They have brand new stuff in the collectible categories

Linen and Textiles (1930-now)

Sewing (1930-now)

And 984 listings under Antiques ---- that are definitely NOT antiques 😞

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Antiques/20081/m.html?_ssn=unbeatable-sale&_sac=1

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

Sewing (1930-now)

Wow...that's beyond pathetic. unamused

If my little microseller behind did that I wouldn't last more than five minutes.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

It is frustrating.

I enjoy searching for and buying antique photos on Ebay.

But I can't find my way to the real things when someone who spams these categories with new merchandise called Raika album spams them relentlessly.

How (exactly) are you constructing your search? Are you using -raika? That, in theory, will eliminate any title with the word "raika" in it.

Please post your current search (with the exact words you're using). 

Also, try the -raika and report back whether that removes them.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I suspect the seller is overseas, shipping from a USA warehouse.  Depending on the country, they seem to get a pass on a lot of the rules that get North American sellers in trouble quickly.

There's a seller from the same state that spams the phone/tablet covers categories with thousands of duplicate listings under dozens of user ids.  I've reported that several times. No action has been taken.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Sewing (1930-now)

Wow...that's beyond pathetic. unamused

If my little microseller behind did that I wouldn't last more than five minutes.

And we wonder why there are no buyers for our little selves that actually list Vintage and actual Antique (100+years) items. Nobody can find anything 😞

it's bad enough that there are things that are 10-20 years old under Antiques … but there should never ever ever be brand spanking new items in Antigues.  

I can understand listing something by accident in the wrong cat … I've done it myself because the last thing I listed went into that cat … but over 900 items is no accident.  That is deliberate Search and Browse Manipulation 😞

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That is deliberate Search and Browse Manipulation 😞

Yep

And apparently it's allowed, just like *certain sellers* spamming the former cookbook category with non-cookbook and even non-book items like DVDs and CDs. Report, report, report and it does no good. Email, email, email and it does no good.  Promises to fix things and make things right turn out to be  lies, as usual.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hello!

Not sure what to make of what you are saying....I typed in "antique photographs" in my Ebay search and saw nothing BUT antique photos!  Granted, I only looked 3 pages deep, but I never saw a single photo album or anything "new".  How are you wording your searches?

-Dippitydoo

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

How are you wording your searches?

Just conjecture on my part, but the buyer may be "browsing" the category.   Perhaps they just like  antique photos in general, and are not inclined to "narrow" the search per se.  Yes, I would assume  one could search more specifically i.e.  Antique photo of carrot ????

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This is in a large number of categories which not only affect my sales but also when I am searching. I almost purchased an item that was listed as "Vintage" though in the very end on the description they put in manufactured 2018. I reported over 100 and guess what, their all still there.

This is because Ebay makes a fortune off of China and doesn't care about you the seller. This is also why they do not want the postal changes to go into effect because it would remove U.S. Taxpayers from funding the free shipping from China. China would then have to sell the items at a comparable value to those being sold in the U.S., a loss for Ebay in the end.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply