cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone want to explain to me what's going on here?

Shipping this from MA to MN ....left MA on the 28th, it went to MN, then back to MA and now is in NH.... **bleep** USPS?  (of course read from bottom..up)

• Feb 10, 2022
  • 3:01am
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • NASHUA NH DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 03063
  • Feb 10, 2022
  • 1:43am
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • Feb 9, 2022
  • 10:23pm
  • ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  • Feb 9, 2022
  • 8:41pm
  • DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  • BROCKTON MA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 02301
  • Feb 9, 2022
  • 8:38pm
  • Feb 9, 2022
  • 7:54pm
  • Feb 9, 2022
  • 6:21pm
  • Feb 7, 2022
  • 2:32pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
  • Feb 6, 2022
  • 7:49am
  • JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBU, 07097
  • Feb 5, 2022
  • 11:42pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • Feb 3, 2022
  • 11:24am
  • Jan 28, 2022
  • 5:56pm
  • DEPART POST OFFICE
  • ROCKLAND, MA 02370
  • Jan 28, 2022
  • 2:50pm
  • PICKED UP
  • ROCKLAND, MA 02370

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Perhaps misdirected or fowarded. You can get more detailed info by asking your local postmaster to check the tracking details. They have access to much more info then you get online. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@james8728 

Did you per chance, purchase postage at the PO counter or use another service than eBay labels? 

I ask this because a long time ago I had a parcel go on a similar "merry go round ride".  It was due to the PO counter clerk making a typo and entering the wrong zipcode on the receipt that generated metered type "stamp" attached to the package, even though the address on the package (hand written) was correct.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@james8728 

Did you per chance, purchase postage at the PO counter or use another service than eBay labels? 

I ask this because a long time ago I had a parcel go on a similar "merry go round ride".  It was due to the PO counter clerk making a typo and entering the wrong zipcode on the receipt that generated metered type "stamp" attached to the package, even though the address on the package (hand written) was correct.

No, print labels right from ebay. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Are you putting the phone number in the addy if using your own shipping??

That can and does cause a great deal of traveling....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Are you putting the phone number in the addy if using your own shipping??

That can and does cause a great deal of traveling....

Nope, just the address and my return address

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Hi @james8728 

As a buyer … I’ve had packages cross the country three times before being delivered to me in CA.  

I recall one going from FL to CA (within 40 miles of me) to NJ to CA (yeah!) … without extended delays at any single stop.   Item was fine.  Just another USPS adventure!  🙃

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This happens 1 out of 500 prior to Covid; Probably 1 out of 100 since early 2020. Nothing to worry about, it happens but is few/far between. 

Almost all shipments finally get there (I personally have shipping 50 week for 11 years and have not had 1 item not make it. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Nope, just the address and my return address

@james8728 

I suppose you may have to make a trip to the PO to find out.  If you do, let us know what you find out.  They may not know exactly either, but may be able to somehow get it off the "extended travel plan". 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

UPDATE:

The item being delivered is a Rolling Stones 45rpm record. I guess the Stones wanted to continue touring but have finally reached their destination... from MA to NJ to MN back to MA to NH and finally back to MN. 

• Feb 11, 2022
  • 6:56am
  • OUT FOR DELIVERY
  • SAINT PAUL, MN 55126
  • Feb 11, 2022
  • 6:45am
  • ARRIVAL AT UNIT
  • SAINT PAUL, MN 55127
  • Feb 11, 2022
  • 6:28am
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • SAINT PAUL, MN 55127
  • Feb 11, 2022
  • 4:37am
  • SAINT PAUL MN NETWORK DISTRIBUT, 55121
  • Feb 11, 2022
  • 1:52am
  • SAINT PAUL MN NETWORK DISTRIBUT, 55121
  • Feb 10, 2022
  • 3:01am
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yep, this kind of stuff happens.........just have to roll with the punches.

Some times, (it seems) signing up for the updates on the USPS may help........

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Packages/mail are sorted, usually by a sorting machine that reads the address, rarely by hand.  These are put in a container of items going to the same final distribution center, with a Routing Label placed on the container that Mail Handlers are expected to read so they can place the container in the correct Staging Lane. 

The Routing Label lists all the Distribution Centers that the container will route through.  Staging Lanes are for specific distribution centers, such as the Indianapolis STC, Southern Area (TX) STC, etc, where the container will be sent for forwarding to another national, regional, or local distribution center (for delivery to local post offices). 

Occasionally a container will be placed in the wrong Staging Lane by a Mail Handler.  Unless the loading Mail Handler or driver catches the mistake, the container then goes to the wrong distribution center.   Recent software updates help to catch mistakes, as the container, when scanned, will trigger an error that the loading Mail Handler will catch when he scans the package if he’s trying to load it on  the wrong truck.

Rarely, but it does happen, the Mail Handler will read the label, see the originating Distribution Center, and assume that this is the destination Distribution Center.  This is likely what happened in your situation; the Mail Handler unwittingly assumed that the Container was leaving the St. Paul P&DC destined for MA, when in fact it had left MA destined for the St. Paul P&DC to then be sent to a local Post Office for delivery.

This is human error.

It likely ended up in New Hampshire because a Mail Handler at the MA Distribution Center read the Routing Label incorrectly and then put it in the wrong Staging Lane.

We have issues here with mail going to Oklahoma City.  It can be routed through the Kansas City, Memphis, or Southern Area (Dallas) distribution centers.  But it’s put in a Staging Lane that says “Oklahoma City.”  The problem is, there is no truck going directly to Oklahoma City, so the mail is sometimes delayed because Mail Handlers are waiting for the Oklahoma City truck (doesn’t exist) to arrive for loading.  I got into a debate over this with an employee who works in the traffic department at this specific Distribution Center.  He assured me that there is a truck that goes direct from there to Oklahoma City.  There hasn’t been since they built the new facility.  In spite of my efforts, and his inability to find documentation supporting his stand, and the fact that all the Routing Labels on the respective containers route the mail through KC, Memphis, or the Southern Area STC, he’s still convinced that there is a truck going direct to Oklahoma City.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I've had packages go to 3 times as many locations as you show.

It somehow always manages to get to the right destination eventually.

I'm sure yours will too.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Let's hope it has finally arrived -- original post from February, 2022.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply