cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone At eBay Decided to Make Turbo Lister Impossible To Use On Vista Because Of Captcha

In the never ending efforts of eBay to make it harder and harder to list on eBay, they have added a new one.

Some genius decided a member needed, after years of NO PROBLEM, to add a Captcha requirement to getting on Turbo Lister (TL), but it doesn't work on a Vista computer locking sellers out of their listings and data, I could not even do a backup.

A very long call to customer service and many attempts to get around this failed and the same is true on both my Vista computers, my favorite operating system for working with images.

A final suggestion was that I transfer the TL data file to another computer with a newer operating system that had TL and replace the old TL data file with the one from Vista.

That to my relief worked, but I don't know if all other Vista users have that option without buying a new computer.

So, if you have Vista, BACKUP TL before closing it or you may lose everything.

Congratulations eBay, another mindless change that prevented me for listing for many days and could have cost YEARS of work, and for some just might have.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Someone At eBay Decided to Make Turbo Lister Impossible To Use On Vista Because Of Captcha

Vista came out in 2007 and hasn't been supported by Microsoft since 2017.

There are MANY reasons to upgrade to a new operating system even without considering your "problems" with ebay.

or just buy a used off lease $125 computer (with 8gb of ram, an ssd hard drive, and windows 10) on ebay.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It is time to move on.  Vista was a dog to begin with, it has not been receiving antivirus definitions from Microsoft for a few years now, and if you got it with a PC, that machine is probably terribly dated.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Vista---oh my.  If you sell and use paypal/bank accounts with this operating system aren't you pretty exposed?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

eBay is telling you to upgrade.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I have Windows 10 and yet when I got that stupid Captcha thing when I opened up Turbo Lister I about had a heart attack! It was the stupid puzzle piece but I did get it to work and then after that worked I had to log into eBay to verify even when I just got that verification thing a month ago.

What is going on with Turbo Lister because my first thought was eBay had been hacked and then my second thought was perhaps eBay is going to sell Turbo Lister so that was why all the multiple things to log in.

Happy that you got it to transfer for you but I do wonder about other users because I know there are still people who use XP.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
I don't think this was a mindless decision, the reason your operating system was phased out was that Microsoft no longer wanted to spend the time and money to continually update an antiquated OS. I won't expound on the quality of Vista but it did not pan out with all the attributes that Microsoft extolled upon it, so rather than shoring up a weak skeleton, they obsoleted it in lieu of an NTFS system that had better bones to start with.

It took Microsoft almost 20 years to stop making all their new operating systems backward compatible or software companies to stop making versions to work on older platforms as the security risk for the many outweigh the few who found virtue in the now rouge systems. Remember when Win95 or Win98 would lock-up on an idle loop awaiting input (screen saver) that was because they kept snippets of old code viable for the 12 people who insisted on using quickbooks1.

eBay like any other online platform that handles sensitive customer data can not take a risk on allowing a non-supported OS that hasn't been updated for several years to breach a hole into their new systems through an exploit or encryption weakness in your older system.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Until it finally gave out, until recently, I was using a Windows 95 OS computer to do all my scanning as my large format scanner uses a SCSI and I had to replace it with another computer that allowed a SCSI, which I did.

At least the new one takes a thumb drive as the old one used a Zip drive.

I don't like the planned obsolesce of the computer world that adds little except to the landfill or recycle bin.

The only reason to get a new computer is because the old one dies, not because some mindless company that just can't leave things alone keeps changing things, make members endlessly RELEARN the site.

After a while, people just don't want to go there anymore and I believe that is what happened to a lot of buyers.

My phone is an I4S and it does what I need and does not require a giant pocket.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

The only reason to get a new computer is because the old one dies, not because some mindless company that just can't leave things alone keeps changing things, make members endlessly RELEARN the site.

Actually, blame it on all of the fresh out of college "coders" who have the latest and greatest and have no clue as to how to write environmental software(like an OS, drivers, etc.) that doesn't take up half or 3/4 of the resources before you open your first program.

Back in the day, you would write code that would use one bit of a byte(or a word, which could be 2, 4 or 8 bytes) for a true/false flag. Now they use it all just for a true or false, sucking up memory, because their machine probably has 16 or 24g of memory instead of 1 or 2 meg of memory.

Of course, you could always run Linux, which will use about 10% of the resources that Windows uses for the OS.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Though I may not completely disagree with what you are saying, I still say the reason for not allowing an antiquated OS' to cross-platform is because of the inherent risks of exploitation of a no longer supported OS. Even though I may have overdramatized my earlier post I still stand by it.

The analogy of an ill schooled programmer may have sat well in the 80's when ram was at a premium and four bits made a nibble, but in the 90's two bytes (8 nibbles) made a word and ram became much cheaper, now we are at 4 words or 64 bits and ram cost less than a craft beer.

Remember back in the day when boot sector virus' were the thing (Michelangelo) those guys were pure genius to write code in such a small area that even a light switch couldn't accomplish. I think most ended up working for Microsoft as bill gates was a pirate himself.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Too late to edit - I meant 4 nibbles equals two-bytes which is a 16-bit word, sorry for any confusion. A nibble is 4 bits or half a byte which is 8 bits so 2 nibbles is a byte and 4 nibbles is a word, our newer systems run on 64 bits or 16 nibbles.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Vista? Smiley Surprised

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I have Windows 10 and yet when I got that stupid Captcha thing when I opened up Turbo Lister I about had a heart attack!

When did this happen? I also run Windows 10 and I upload about 100 TL listings on 11/24 without any problem.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

I have Windows 10 and yet when I got that stupid Captcha thing when I opened up Turbo Lister I about had a heart attack!

When did this happen? I also run Windows 10 and I upload about 100 TL listings on 11/24 without any problem.

Monday December 2. First time I've ever seen that Captcha thing on Turbo Lister.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

All I know is, I wish they would stick their so called "security" back where they seem to get most of their bright ideas these days.

Sick to death of it.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply