cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold phone for parts, buyer asking for unlock pattern

I sold my old phone that I smashed in my car door as parts not working. I was unable to wipe my information as I could no longer turn the phone on. The buyer is now asking for the unlock pattern and I do not feel comfortable giving him access to everything that is on the phone. Do I need to give it to him? What do I say?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sold phone for parts, buyer asking for unlock pattern

I did remove my SIM, it was a Samsung Galaxy s5 and it was locked by the Samsung Factory Reset Protection that is enabled by default. I was able to remove the lock remotely and wipe the phone by going to https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Now he says he wiped it and needs my Samsung account information...
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If you tell the person anything, tell them that you don't divulge that information because it might get into the hands of identity thieves.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@goldendima wrote:
Now he says he wiped it and needs my Samsung account information...

Uhhhh NOOOOO!

The listing included a broken phone for parts nothing more..

Tell him if he's unhappy to return for refund.

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Tell him, "The phone was my phone, and has not been reported as stolen, and that's all I can tell you."

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I'm not a techie, so excuse my ignorance here...

But how do you wipe a phone w/o it being unlocked? Is that even possible?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

I'm not a techie, so excuse my ignorance here...

But how do you wipe a phone w/o it being unlocked? Is that even possible?

Well, what I do with my phone, is take a cloth and without picking up the receiver, wipe down the rotary dial - those new-fangled push-button phones are a real pain - then, I use a disinfectent for the reciever and hand piece.  Then, well, I haven't found the lock, yet, but when I do, I'll worry about it.  Smiley Very Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

If you did not remove the SIM card (don't know for sure if your model phone had one but I think they all do) you should probably tell them "return for refund" as stated by @pikabo-icu and when you get it back, remove the card before selling for parts again.  The SIM card has your personal info on it if it is anything like my phone.  No need to "wipe it" just remove it.

Do not give them any personal info.  You may not want the buyer to have that acess to your info.  Just my opinion. Hope that helps a little.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I did remove my SIM, it was a Samsung Galaxy s5 and it was locked by the Samsung Factory Reset Protection that is enabled by default. I was able to remove the lock remotely and wipe the phone by going to https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Excellent! Sounds like you're good then.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I think what you did in regards to this phone is known as "hedging your bet".  You list it as broken, for parts only, and then you list all the specs for the phone and your only "true" descriptions is:

Well taken care of, always in a case with a glass screen protector. Fell out of my pocket as I closed my car door and that was it for this phone.

Phone turns on (touch buttons light up), but screen does not. All components should be functional except the screen and possibly the earpiece due to the point of impact.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It was sold for parts, NOT function!  No need to help the buyer try to revive it/no need to give him info.  You owe him nothing more!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@starlight3k wrote:

It was sold for parts, NOT function!  No need to help the buyer try to revive it/no need to give him info.  You owe him nothing more!

Like I said... That sort of listing is known as hedging one's bet.  List it as not working and for parts only so you have plausable denyability and then say there is nothing wrong with it except perhaps the screen and the earpiece... lights up except the screen and no water damage.  Always been protected with a screen protector and well taken care of.

ALWAYS underpromise and overdeliver.  IMHO, this was not done.

Blink Blink
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Perhaps, but the buyer did NOT buy an unlocked working phone and has no right to expect that.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Perhaps, but the buyer did NOT buy an unlocked working phone and has no right to expect that.

I do understand what you are saying, but I think the OP left themselves WAY too much wiggle room.  It's like the condition of the phone doesn't match the rest of the listing in title and description.  Even in the item specifics the OP makes an exception to his "for parts, not working" that upsells the conditions.  I totally understand the phone wasn't selling as a unlocked working phone, I just feel the OP give them a little too much creative license of "showmanship" AKA doublespeak.

Blink Blink
Message 15 of 15
latest reply