cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold item but funds are less than sold for?

I have not sold for awhile, and cant find this info.

I sold a item for $200, but the funds only show 171? Even with the listing fees this is super off. I cant fond where the almost $30 is at.

thank you

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Sold item but funds are less than sold for?

$200 item with sales tax paid by the buyer..........................  fees could be around $28. Could be more depending upon the %age charged for the selling category.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

thanks. now i see why mercari and fb are the selling places of choice now. lol

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sounds about right, you also pay a commission fee on the sales tax the buyer is charged

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Looks right to me.  let me take a guess, you are another one that never added in paypal fees when we used to have them?

now that ebay handles everything, you think they went up when they didn't

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Mercari doesn't charge commission fee?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Go to the seller hub, the payments tab, & then click on the transaction. The breakdown should all be there for you.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@cactuskardz 

I think you have forgotten about the sales tax. This is included in the buyer payment that your fees are charged on, but not included in your payout because eBay sends the sales tax to the buyer's state.

I don't know exactly how much sales tax your buyer had to pay, because I think the $171 you reported was an approximate amount. But here is a reasonable example of the fee calculation:

amount:calculated on:  (comments)
      purchase price  $ 200.00 
      shipping cost  $          -   
   subtotal  $ 200.00 
   sales tax8.5% $   17.00subtotal  (at buyer's rate)
total buyer's payment  $ 217.00 

variable final value fee12.90% $   27.99total buyer's payment
      fixed final value fee $      0.30 $     0.30 
   total eBay fees  $   28.29 
   sales tax  $   17.00(sent to buyer's state)
   shipping label  $          -  (if used)
total deductions from payout  $   45.29(total eBay fees + sales tax + shipping label)

payout sent  $ 171.71(total payment - total deductions)
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

thanks for the break down, actually useful. 

after recent sales def time for me to jump ship back to local. appreciate the help!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/transactions

this shows the transaction and fee...click view for details....

remember, all your fees are now combined instead of split between 2 entities

mercari is the choice of all 5 people that shop there LOL...when did they go fee free?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"I sold a item for $200, but the funds only show 171? Even with the listing fees this is super off. I cant fond where the almost $30 is at."

Was the item price $200?  Did the buyer pay more than $200, including sales tax and postage charges?  

eBay charges their Final Value Fees (FVF) on the total the buyer pays.  The general FVF is 12.9% which, again, is charged by eBay on the full amount paid by the buyer.   Some item categories carry a higher FVF percentage and some are lower.  Oh, and eBay also charges the seller $0.30 per order.

Many new and returning sellers have trouble understanding this.  I think this is what you are experiencing.  You may be comparing your earnings ($171) to ONLY the price of the item ($200).  It is kind of normal to try to do that, because the price of the item is the only number you establish when you create a listing.  You don't know for sure how much the postage is going to cost and you have literally no way of knowing how much sales tax the buyer will have to pay or even IF the buyer will have to pay sales tax.  

Altogether, IF your item's price was $200 and you netted $171, this is kind of normal and average.  You have netted 85.5% of the item price, and eBay "kept" 14.5% of the item's price.  

My selling ID (finally) sold an item last week that cost $32.00.  The buyer paid for postage, sales tax, and I added a $1.00 handling charge, which altogether came to $40.10 paid by my buyer.   eBay's FVF on my sale was 12.9% of the total paid by the buyer:  $40.10 x .129 = $5.17 + 30 cents = $5.47.  I netted $27.53 from that sale.  Comparing $27.53 to the $32 price of the item means I earned 86% of the item's price, and eBay "kept" 14%.   

Comparing your net earnings to the price of the item is not really the way eBay calculates anything, but lots of sellers still do that kind of math -- including me sometimes, but only in my head.  I have something listed now for $80.00 and if it ever sells, I hope to net 80% of that item price, and eBay would "keep" 20%, meaning my earnings from that sale would be about $64.00.   

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@cactuskardz 

I think you have forgotten about the sales tax. This is included in the buyer payment that your fees are charged on, but not included in your payout because eBay sends the sales tax to the buyer's state.

I don't know exactly how much sales tax your buyer had to pay, because I think the $171 you reported was an approximate amount. But here is a reasonable example of the fee calculation:

amount:calculated on:  (comments)
      purchase price  $ 200.00 
      shipping cost  $          -   
   subtotal  $ 200.00 
   sales tax8.5% $   17.00subtotal  (at buyer's rate)
total buyer's payment  $ 217.00 

variable final value fee12.90% $   27.99total buyer's payment
      fixed final value fee $      0.30 $     0.30 
   total eBay fees  $   28.29 
   sales tax  $   17.00(sent to buyer's state)
   shipping label  $          -  (if used)
total deductions from payout  $   45.29(total eBay fees + sales tax + shipping label)

payout sent  $ 171.71(total payment - total deductions)

^^^That's helpful to show the OP where the funds went. 

And it doesn't even take into account that the "free" shipping also comes out of the $200 payment that the buyer made. 

@cactuskardz You offer free shipping but what that means is that YOU pay for the shipping out of the amount of the sale. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 12
latest reply